New Machine Build DIY Large Format Laser Cutter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Large Format Laser Cutter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY Large Format Laser Cutter

Hi everyone this is my second attempt at a laser cutter. After building one of the first buildlog.net lasers designed by Bart I decided to have a go myself. Design and build time was around 1 month, and the total cost was around £1500-£2000.

I am going to use a light object DSP which will control the laser and the steppers. Hopefully this should make it quite a usable machine.

Currently 40w and thinking of an upgrade to maybe 80w or 100w

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by gavztheouch; 04-18-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good, just one suggestion. If you are looking for fast rapids you will experience a lot of whip on the rods that are attached to the stepper moving the Y.

Something to consider if it does turn out to be a problem. I like how the chinese ones to that with a larger diameter rod supported by pillow blocks on each side and stepper on one end.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    I build laser machines. Quite small and quite big for almost 10 years.
    - As I see £1500-£2000 is VERY MUCH for what I see.
    - Pictured laser for sure is not 40W. Real 40W chinese laser is 100cm long.
    - Y axis rods are to thin.
    - Both X axis belt as Y axis rods shouldn`t work straight with stepper motor.
    There should be a kind of transmission.
    - Good manner is to hide X axis belt.
    For me this is unsuccessful copy of chinese laser machines.
    But chinese machines are cheaper and some better.
    Sorry.

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry.
    All very valid points one of which is echoed by JasonHarris22 regarding the y axis drive shafts. So this will be first on my list of upgrades along with adding transmission to gear down the motors, this was already in the pipeline as I have a couple of panasonic servo motors I would like to use and they only have one shaft, not duels. Do you have any other suggestions? Also do you know of any design guides or indepth photographs of the best lasers available. It would be great to have something to reference when thinking about how to improve it.

Cheers

Gav

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

best lasers available
    Hard call Gav, best is always relative to price have a word with Tweakie, he scratch built a laser/router/cutter that runs native code so he would be a great place to start for advice (as well as being one of the smartest guys I know)

best wishes

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

any updates on this build. I was looking at doing something similar.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    Hi
    Sorry.
    1) Agreed. Unless there are some very nice custom electronics that aren't pictured, that's probably 2-3 what this unit should have cost.

2) Completely incorrect. It looks like he's using a Tongli tube--those usually have a 42W/38W peak/average @ 740mm. Other tube manufacturers can come in as high as 46W/42 peak/average for a 750mm tube. Likewise, many 720-750mm tubes will be in the 33-38W range. A 1000mm tube should put out at least 60W; the RECI 90W tubes are 1200mm.

For the rest, I pretty much agree and will echo what others have said about the robustness of this rig--it won't stand up to high speed rapids (those look like NEMA 17 motors?). You should be using at least NEMA 23's with a linear rail like that. You may or may not want to gear them down as some have suggested. I think the GW lasers use direct drive but I haven't peeked inside one in a while.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent build. Rather or not it has small issues that can be later improved the key is to build it.
    I would like to build one myself and would love to see more pics when it is burning shapes.

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Morning Guys!
    Are there any plans available for this type of build. I've never been into lasers but have fabricated a bench top mill (lathemaster conversion) and 36X36 router, re-engineered a XYZ Tech 1212 router and converted a sherline mill for engraving. I know the drives and mechanics for the above but again, I know nothing about lasers. Guess that will be my next big project if I can get an idea of how to proceed!
    Thanks in advance for any information/advice.
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4' x 4' design

hi all

i am looking for advice on building a 4x4 laser, i have most of the parts and where to get hold of the linear rails etc and laser from ebay etc but i am having difficulty finding pulleys and belts and other parts in here in the uk?

i was thinking of using the same system that i use on my cnc router which is rack and pinion, for all axis, linear rail, what art your thoughts?

also would it be possible to meet someone face to face in the UK who has built a system, don't mind travelling within the east Midlands?

want to use this cnc for build large scale aircraft parts, and general engraving, also one thing, i not sure on is what size laser to employ as i also want to cut aluminum sheet up to 1/2" (12mm) thick and sheet steal to 5 mm. and mdf/ply up 19mm, advise here please

any videos on mirror alignment??

in fact all advice greatly helpful

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Belts and pulleys are available at good prices here: Bearings, Lazy Susan Bearings, Self Aligning Bearings & Angular Contact Bearings | EngineersMate | Engineers mate

I don't think a metal cutting laser is a DIY project. You are looking at thousands of £'s just for the laser itself. Then you need a good extraction system (you don't want metal dust flying around the place).

A laser is not suitable for cutting MDF and ply that thick.

Can I humbly suggest you do a bit more homework especially regarding metal cutting.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    Belts and pulleys are available at good prices here: Bearings, Lazy Susan Bearings, Self Aligning Bearings & Angular Contact Bearings | EngineersMate | Engineers mate

I don't think a metal cutting laser is a DIY project. You are looking at thousands of £'s just for the laser itself. Then you need a good extraction system (you don't want metal dust flying around the place).

A laser is not suitable for cutting MDF and ply that thick.

Can I humbly suggest you do a bit more homework especially regarding metal cutting.
    thanks for the web links

after thinking about it

i know you can cut thin metal/ali sheet up 5 mm on 150watt laser, i seen this on youtube i was looking into 80watt to 100watt laser, then i am not too under powered, and can cut most materials up to 10mm,

extraction systems i am employing is overkill as it is for my cnc router

one thing this laser is going to cut is balsa and lite ply for modelling so cutting upto 1/2 lite ply would do for my need, anything bigger would go on the 8x4 router,

one thing i do want is speed of cut what motor do you recommend nema 17 or 23? i have nema 34's on my router, not sure of pully size for x,y, laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

5mm steel/alu with a 150W laser? I would REALLY like to see that happen. Most industrial lasers are in the kW class. I have had a 80W laser and believe me, it won't even leave a mark on alu. Actually, I doubt you will believe me so my advice is wasted here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ciscoe View Post

i know you can cut thin metal/ali sheet up 5 mm on 150watt laser,
    No, you can`t.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wascallywabbit View Post
    1)

2) Completely incorrect. It looks like he's using a Tongli tube--those usually have a 42W/38W peak/average @ 740mm. Other tube manufacturers can come in as high as 46W/42 peak/average for a 750mm tube. Likewise, many 720-750mm tubes will be in the 33-38W range. A 1000mm tube should put out at least 60W; the RECI 90W tubes are 1200mm.
    Did you evevr measure this power? Or you belive in chinese declaration.
    For me it looks you never saw Laser Power Meter.
    RECI is different. We are not talking about RECI.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    5mm steel/alu with a 150W laser? I would REALLY like to see that happen. Most industrial lasers are in the kW class. I have had a 80W laser and believe me, it won't even leave a mark on alu. Actually, I doubt you will believe me so my advice is wasted here.

i might be wrong but i have seen 150kw laser cut ali but it is painfully slow 3mm

this video cutting ply 18 mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPn2AlR-LIo]JQ laser cutting machine for cutting 18mm Plywood with 150w laser.flv - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH4MIlFSn_U]CNC laser 150W cutting 2mm steel only. Very Affordable machine please visit www.SaleCNC.com - YouTube

400w laser cutting

5mm ply

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you evevr measure this power? Or you belive in chinese declaration.
    For me it looks you never saw Laser Power Meter.
    RECI is different. We are not talking about RECI.
    i have looked into getting a RECI laser, 90 or 130 w, over a Chinese one, but cost might be a factor, but you pay for what you get mor powerful laser butter control and cut, that the way i understand it

my knowledge of laser out is not that great, there not simple chart to say what site laser cut thickness of material?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ciscoe View Post
    i might be wrong but i have seen 150kw laser cut ali but it is painfully slow 3mm
    Go to Synrad, find Power Calculator and you will know.
    And stop talking about you2butt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Go to Synrad, find Power Calculator and you will know.
    And stop talking about you2butt
    i asked for advice not insults i some knowledge of laser but looks like not enough, hence why i am here

i can build cnc router, and want to build a laser table prdomitly for model making and light metal cutting, please advise!

advice please not insult

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If asking for advice then don't treat the advice given as if you know better.

Just because you can cut thick ply by going very slow doesn't mean it's a good idea. You won't get a straight cut and will have a lot of charring to contend with. That is provided you can get thick ply that will laser cut to begin with. Leave the thick stuff for the router.

You will NOT be cutting any metal with a 100W RECI tube.

Don't believe everything you see on Youtube, often you don't get the full story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast