FSE 40w Laser and company review, truthful and UNCENSORED - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FSE 40w Laser and company review, truthful and UNCENSORED

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by webgeek View Post
    Thanks for the review and comments. This forum post along with others here on CNCZone have been enough for me to decide against FSE. I was on the fence with building my own system or buying their deluxe hobby system and I've decided to go my own way.

-Mike
    Mike,

I think everyone knows that I am no supporter of FSE but they do sell a good product at a good price.
    Don't shoot yourself in the foot because many of us have issues with the FSE marketing policy (Henry).

Tweakie.

CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First post for me on this Forum.

I bought a 40W deluxe Hobby Laser from Full Spectrum Engineering in early September this year. From the start the laser was not functioning as it should. Frequent disconnects had me emailing FSE several times a day to try and find out why it wasn't working.

After an email asking me to remove the motor control card and USB RetinaEngrave card to take a photo of them for Henry Liu and the guys to look at, saw the machine not work again. It was many frustrating weeks of fiddling and trial and error by me with emailed instructions by FSE, before I did my block at them, six weeks after I received my laser.

Nothing they had suggested and I had done had worked in making the machine work. It wouldn't "Jog" or "Home", any job in RetinaEngrave would give a "Not Responding" screen and then shutdown.

Henry and the guys were really helpful throughout the whole time that my laser wasn't working, I made a few phone calls, they sent me many emails (64 of them), and quite a few photos giving step by step instructions to test various parts of the machine to see what was at fault. At one stage they remote accessed my computer to test what may be at fault on my own computer - a somewhat freaky thing to watch! One of the problems of living on the other side of the world from where you buy a product is that when something goes wrong, there is no one near to help. There was a "FSE Representative" in Australia, unfortunately that person lives on the other side of the continent, 4600Km away from me!

Eventually, I gave up and gave them a piece of my mind. I'm a Clinical Nurse in a big Trauma Ward, I have a Masters Degree, but I'm no Electrical Engineer. What they were asking of me really was out of my comfort level and beyond what I think a customer should be doing to a $4000 machine (with postage and Customs Duty). They replaced the machine without a seconds pause and I received the new one a week later. The only complaint I have with the new machine was that the laser pointer/splitter mirror wasn't in there (I took it from the old one, so that's OK) and that once again, it came with European and US electrical plugs, when I had paid extra to have the machine converted to 240V Australian. Is it such a hard thing to ask that it come out of the box with plugs that work, without having to buy new ones or adapters? As to service, well it was exceptional, except when one of the guys complained to me that it was after working hours, and could he call me back in the morning? OK for him, but the next morning for him, was 2am for me!

Anyway:

The new machine has been working perfectly, with only my inability to get the mirrors perfectly aligned, being the only hitch (fingers crossed!).

I cannot say I enjoyed the whole process, it has somewhat taken away the enthusiasm I had for the machine and what I had hoped to do with it. I cannot fault the service I received from Henry, Stephen and the guys at FSE, I just wish it hadn't taken seven weeks to get a working machine from the time my first one landed in Australia.

The new machine is working as it should, and I am producing some wonderfully detailed models and some stupidly cheap letterboards for stroke/brain injured people at work.

Would I buy another machine from FSE? Yes. But I'll wait until they have people a little closer to where I live (Australian East Coast would be wonderful), before I buy again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Top marks for FSE.
    Thanks for posting the info Bec.

Tweakie.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bec Weir's must've been the one returned Laser that didn't fit on the desk.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CousinVinny View Post
    Bec Weir's must've been the one returned Laser that didn't fit on the desk.
    What?

The laser as I said, was returned because it didn't work. The new one does.

It was a shame that it took seven weeks for them to send me a laser that worked, but there you go.

As an update to the second laser and the hard to align mirror, I found out why the mirror wasn't aligning. It turns out the second mirror was wobbling ever so slightly due to a wrong sized hex bolt being used to secure the bracket that holds the mirror. The bolt was waaaay too short and only held in with a 1/2 turn of thread which eventually stripped, loosened the bracket and began to wobble very slightly.

Pinching the correct sized bolt from the first laser fixed the problem and I have had no troubles since. (I have yet to return the first laser, even though Henry has emailed me wanting it sent to the Australian guy, so he can "sell it to an Australian buyer". I hope it is sold as second hand and refurbished - Hi Henry, BTW).

Strangely, they wouldn't let me post the information of the fix for the mirror alignment on the FSE Forum, as it was "a warranty issue and not relevant to why the laser could not be aligned".

Yeah, riiiiight.
    The new changes to RetinaEngrave program are fantastic, the pause button and the time estimate function are a fantastic edition.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Further problems wit the new (second) laser from FSE.

I made a thread abouat all that has happened.

I'm really disapointed with the 40W Deluxe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its a cheap chinese laser that they resell. It's going to have problems.

Now, I've gotten massive use out of mine, it's paid for itself 10x over. I am, however, next time I buy a laser, going with a "real" one - Epilog or something similar. I just have too many issues with mine, mostly due to poor construction and cheap parts. You get what you pay for. But, it's done its job. The one part I'll miss is Retina - for all the troubles I've had with FSE, the software and controller is stellar. The continued updates to it are amazing... in the short time I've owned mine (a year plus now I think?) the software has grown by leaps and bounds.

Gonna go find and read the other thread you posted.

Downloads
    Uploads

hello to all,

I want to keep the discussions open.. If anyone has questions about how to get their laser working better, how to fix damage, how to adjust something... etc. Please email us.

Tech support to non-customers is still free.. We just give that time away on a lower priority level.. It is just fair that paid customers do get the bigger priority.

... and
    We have new sizes of laser machines added to the product line. Small portable machines(5030, 6040), desktop versions(5030), Portable with quick-assembly stand(7040), full size cabinet laser machines (6040, 9060, 1290), and RF metal cartridge laser (7050RF), and full size open flat bed... We have a great working relationship with the laser factories.. Call for help if you need to get a laser machine that is the right size for your hobby or production needs...

Ray Scott
    Owner / Engineer
    Rabbit Laser USA
    513-217-5707

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the update.

Your service and backup is second to none.

Tweakie.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice Ray good to know there are some good guys in lasers.

A friend of mine here in Brisbane went for a Chineese Nice-cut laser. The thing is fracking Huge!

if it works with less problems that I had with the FSE Deluxe Hobby Laser, then I will probably buy one and junk my FSE one.

one of these, I believe:

China Nice-Cut Mechanical Equipment Co. Ltd @ Global Sources Online

I think it cost him AUD$4200 landed in Australia, ex Customs and Duty (15%) with cooling machine, Air assist, pointer and the controll computer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since ray-scott mentioned his tech support line, I would like to add a little about FSL's tech support. You ever notice the long wait when you call FSL's tech support line. It's always about a 5 minute wait. Well the reason is every phone call is delayed, this comes straight out of the mouths of one of the tech support guys who works at FSL. If your lucky they might give you the direct line number to bypass the delay. But probably not, they lack in brains as much as they lack in work work ethic. Seriously, what kind of company adds a 5 minute wait to tech support calls. Maybe, a company that doesn't want to help you? Even if you do get through, you will be lucky if they can help you on your first call.

I think in the future if I ever experience any additional issues with my laser, I will just call ray.

Really, FSL is the type of company that will try and nickel and dime you at any chance they can get.

Infernous, you ever think the free stuff they gave you on your after warranty parts were just another attempt at bribery?

I just don't trust anything about FSL. In my mind, its a despicable company.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would like to thanks you guys for this thread ! I saw the Full Spectrum 5rd generation laser cutter on kickstarter, and after some quick google, decided to go for it.

I did some more googling and post about bad experience starting to come up... And I forced myself tonight to search way more and found more thread on cnczone that made me decide to cancel my pledge including this one !

The attitude they provided to you guys including InfernusDoleo as depicted in the thread 'Permanently Banned' and the fact that apparently they removed a section dedicated to their product on CNCZone tell me there is something terribly wrong here !

That said... I'm still really interested at that product and want it NOW (even if I don't really need it)... I really wish they didn't acted like they did and that those post were non existent ! It feel like with the attitude they provided that the only way to help them is to share these posts with other so they see how they are... And that in the end they realized that did something wrong and need to change.

What suck is maybe they did ! I feel like a dad that punish his son be cause he did something wrong, by not doing something we were supposed to do, yet it something I really wanted to do, so I'm punishing myself at the same time!

Anyway, I'll probably squash the idea for a laser cutter for the moment...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mochouinard View Post
    I would like to thanks you guys for this thread ! I saw the Full Spectrum 5rd generation laser cutter on kickstarter, and after some quick google, decided to go for it.

I did some more googling and post about bad experience starting to come up... And I forced myself tonight to search way more and found more thread on cnczone that made me decide to cancel my pledge including this one !

The attitude they provided to you guys including InfernusDoleo as depicted in the thread 'Permanently Banned' and the fact that apparently they removed a section dedicated to their product on CNCZone tell me there is something terribly wrong here !

It feel like with the attitude they provided that the only way to help them is to share these posts with other so they see how they are... And that in the end they realized that did something wrong and need to change.

Hope you are reading this Henry.

Provide bad product and treat people like crap and it comes back and bites you in the arse.

Perhaps you should try and remove all the posts from Google......

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bec Weir View Post
    Hope you are reading this Henry.

Provide bad product and treat people like crap and it comes back and bites you in the arse.

Perhaps you should try and remove all the posts from Google......
    Censoring the bad away fixes everything.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mochouinard View Post

That said... I'm still really interested at that product and want it NOW (even if I don't really need it)... I really wish they didn't acted like they did and that those post were non existent ! It feel like with the attitude they provided that the only way to help them is to share these posts with other so they see how they are... And that in the end they realized that did something wrong and need to change.

What suck is maybe they did ! I feel like a dad that punish his son be cause he did something wrong, by not doing something we were supposed to do, yet it something I really wanted to do, so I'm punishing myself at the same time!

If you are up to building your own you might want to take a look at buildlog.net - CNC Laser Buildlogs. The new laser they are selling you might find it has a lot in common with the ones people are building on the buildlog site. I have been gathering parts for quite some time to build by own but a friend and I decided to each buy one from FSL next month, but like you when I heard they seemed to throw a tantrum like a 4 year old and remove FSL area from this forum that was it for me. Now I am back to my original plan to build one and if that does not work I will be making a trip to hurricanelasers. Took me a few days to also talk my friend out of a laser from FSL due to there actions here but I was successful. He will be watching me in my build attempt and if all goes will he will try it. We both want it just for hobby stuff that we now do on a cnc router so we are in no hurry.

Also check out Home page.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So, three lasers that FSE will not be selling due to the posts here about FSE poor attitude and bad product.

What's that come to; $10-11K of lost income?

Hurricane21

Default mochouinard

Mochouinard,

Please check out HurricaneLasers.com you will find our service to be very good and our Agnes 40W 16x12 laser is a quality product that bows away the little hobby lasers. All of these include water chiller, exhaust etc without nickel and diming the customer.

We also include a 1 year warranty that includes the tube. We stand behind our products and service them.

If you take the FSL new hobby at $3495 + exhaust $350 + air compressor $150 you are at $3995. Same as our Agnes 40W without the games. Our machine is almost 200lbs and top quality compared to the 70lb import from FSL. Yes it is still imported just assembled here. Supposedly.

Thank you and I look forward to working with you.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It sad since maybe it a good product... No one actually reviewed it yet... And I wish there provided more information about it (Video/photo are mostly marketing than actual technical information. But it seem their corporate attitude not about to change. I told them that they should drop the current forum censorship and use a wiki as an knowledge base instead... They in a way, they laugh at me(by smiling emote).

Another example company that they should look at is makerbot... They are open and even giving the plans out to everyone to make their own... Some people do work on their own design... But in reality, there isn't that much DIY compare to paying customer... And if you have the community in your pocket, then it doesn't matter who competition come in. They will go for bat for you... which we clearly don't see here...

Good news for me (happen during preparation of this post and didn't want to update what I've previously written) ! I've just got an offer that would allow me to review one... A private sponsor removed their pledge and I've taken his spot... In exchange that I teach him what I learn, fix the laser cutter if it doesn't work out of the box and I got some printing time afterward. It remove me the financial risk of trying it out. I'll do a very detailed review of my whole experience starting September 9, date the kickstarter stop. One of the post say they are ready to ship now, and this person I replaced were in the Ultra early bird 10 unit... So no reason for delay...

I do hope they change their policy on forum and start another knowledge base system like a wiki by then, because I'll say it right now, it will be part of the review since it part of the experience. I've promised him that I will just use my actual experience with the device and interaction with Full Spectrum... I'll be able to do a quick beginning on how I got to try it out.

Full Spectrum said on the kickstarter that I should start a wiki, and if I can't find one I can contribute to, I probably will. (their lost)

@John
    My private sponsor and I are looking at about the same thing... Something that doesn't take too much space and is movable. It for private use. If it were for more professional need, I would not mind the size difference, and maybe like it more...

One thing that I'm still confused is how are they really different (technically). A water chiller with some safety would be a big plus for professional user (I'll probably create my own flow monitoring system). Auto-Focus sound good too... I heard controller/software make a big difference and it where full spectrum seem to shine from some comments here (when the electronic board shipped work).

So, I can't wait for the ks to end so I can begin the review.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great, please make sure FSL is not able to identify you on this site when you do interact with them, so they don't give you special treatment. Very exciting, looking forward to your review.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your friend is also from Canada and he/she is the only sponsor from Canada in the top 10 then they already know that someone is going to review their product and support assuming they read your post, which I am sure they will.

This will be interesting on how it turns out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast