Health aspects

Thread: Health aspects

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Health aspects

Just thought I'd mention that I tend to get "heady" when I operate the laser cutter, despite good blowers on the ventilation hoses. Delrin is the worst and makes me cough, but even acrylic (which is supposed to burn into water) will give me issues. (I must say it doesn't *smell* like water when I open the machine. )

I started wearing a respirator and all issues went away.

The whole setup recently got changed to a much better exhaust system, and (since wearing a respirator is a pain) I hoped things would be solved, but I still have issues. I went home with a horrible headache after cutting leather all day. I'm going to start wearing my respirator again.

The other operators shrug -- they're macho and young. But I figured I ought to bring it up for discussion.

Kiki

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Good post Kiki.

Many materials give off toxic particles / vapours when heated or burned and we should all take adequate precautions to protect ourselves. Extractor systems must be checked / tested on a regular basis with health and safety at the top of the priority list.
    The dangers of asbestos were only recognised and owned up to far too late for many.

Tweakie.

CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Keep laser in separate room with strong air extractions FROM LASER and FROM ROOM. Leave both air extractors working for at least 1 min after end of job. Enter room only with respirator while laser working.
    Use video camera to control laser.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Health aspects-pvc-room-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Litografa View Post
    Keep laser in separate room with strong air extractions FROM LASER and FROM ROOM. Leave both air extractors working for at least 1 min after end of job. Enter room only with respirator while laser working.
    Use video camera to control laser.
    that's good advice

question: have you ever measured the rate of exhaust flow and measured the quantity of particles expelled from the machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kikiorg View Post
    ..... Delrin is the worst and makes me cough, but even acrylic (which is supposed to burn into water) will give me issues. (I must say it doesn't *smell* like water when I open the machine. ).....Kiki
    Keep wearing your respirator, which should contain an activated carbon filter.

Delrin decomposes into formaldehyde, which you can probably find described on Wikipedia, acrylic decomposes into methylmethacrylate which you will (probably) also find on Wikipedia. Whoever gave you the idea that acrylic burns into water is only partly correct. It is true that if acrylic is completely burnt then all that is produced is water and carbon dioxide. But lasers do not really burn plastics, the heat decomposes them from the polymer back to the monomer and the monomer from acrylic is a really nasty chemical, and formaldehyde is not much better.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.