eyes protection from laser

Thread: eyes protection from laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default eyes protection from laser

Hi all

Any help or ideas for protecting our eyes fro looking to the laser beam,
    this is what I did : I removed a cheap sunglass a plastic from its frame, fixed it around the laser beam tube, as in photos, now when I need to look it goes throw the protecting glass.
    Waiting for any other idea.

Thanks.

Mohammad

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eyes protection from laser-06102010013-jpg   eyes protection from laser-06102010014-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seems like a bad idea.. It's your eyes and you only get one pair. Just buy proper glasses and/or close the lid of the machine!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kabli View Post
    Hi all

Any help or ideas for protecting our eyes fro looking to the laser beam,
    this is what I did : I removed a cheap sunglass a plastic from its frame, fixed it around the laser beam tube, as in photos, now when I need to look it goes throw the protecting glass.
    Waiting for any other idea.

Thanks.

Mohammad
    Never trust your eye protection to cheap plastic.
    Here are a few questions that need to be addressed.
    1. What type of laser?
    2. What is the wavelength/frequency?
    3. What is the power output?

Go to this link:Kentek Laser Eyewear

This will give you some idea of how to go about protection.
    As an example, lets say that you are working with CO2.
    Go to this link: CO2 Laser Safety Glasses

Protective Eyewear for UV, CO2, laser applications. Covers OD7+ @ 190-360, OD7+ @ 5000-11000nm, VLT @ 90%. KXL (OveRxProtect™) is a large spectacle designed to fit over Rx glasses and features adjustable wire core temples.

Depending on what you are working with, I would not take any chances. You can actually damage your eyes and not be aware of it until damage has occurred.
    If you are still not sure, send them an email let them know what you have and they will probably respond with a recommendation for protection.

Hope this helps,

Iron-man

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The type of protection necessary is dependant on the wavelength, but in any case this solution is unacceptable.

You may not even notice damage has occurred to your eyes until you later find you have blind spots - which are irreversible.

Zax.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, that sounds like an excellent idea...a nice cheap sunglasses lens should certainly protect you from structured coherent light at least as well as the proper filters.

I like to fireproof my house with newspaper and oily rags, too.

Seriously, without knowing the power and wavelengths the only thing anyone can say is to buy the highest quality protection specific to the hazard you are protecting against. Ballet slippers on a construction site = bad idea.

"Cheap" sunglasses usually have very poor nIR protection and less than optimal UV protection from the sun...not to mention looking at a point source of any wavelength, or even scattered light from it.

"Do not look into laser with remaining good eye" used to be on my laboratory door for a reason other than the humor value. If looking for a cheap thrill, try clearing a lawnmower clog while it's running...at least you have 10 fingers instead of only 2 eyes...that's like 5 times more chances to win!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default thanks for advice

Hi ,Chuck, zax15uk, Iron-Man, fantasy2.
    Thanks for the advice that was very helpful, for me I already have 3 per's of protected sun glass from EPLOG dealer long time ago, when we purchased our old EPLOG, now we have another CO2 laser 80w. we do use the protected sunglass, but still I am not satisfy enough, and sometimes we do miss to put it on in rush jobs,
    I was hoping that someone has done something or there are a product in the market will be use just directly to the laser beam tube, in case of I forget to put the protected glass,
    Again thank and sorry for miss understanding and sorry for my bad English.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hi

Hi, Iron- Man.
    I have looked to the link (( Kentek laser)) and I found this product. (Kentek Laser Safe Window Protection))
    Laser Filter Glass ((KFG-01))
    I think I will order and place it on the laser machine window. Is it a good idea. Any advices,
    Thanks all.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eyes protection from laser-glass-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really don't see how you, in any way can protect yourself by putting the infrared beam through sunglasses into the material. What do you think the effect will be?

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! this is an incredibly bad idea! like using a paper mask to protect you from cyanide gas!

I've worked with lasers for years and as part of the safety course we were shown what lasers can do to rabit eyes- it would make your blood run cold.

Serious do not do this.

Contact the laser supplier and ask em what they recommend, or contact someone like Edmund Optics Optics, Imaging, and Photonics Technology - Edmund Optics or just google laser safety goggles

I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kabli View Post
    Hi, Iron- Man.
    I have looked to the link (( Kentek laser)) and I found this product. (Kentek Laser Safe Window Protection))
    Laser Filter Glass ((KFG-01))
    I think I will order and place it on the laser machine window. Is it a good idea. Any advices,
    Thanks all.
    Laser SAFETY EYE WEAR is the FIRST PRIORITY. I cannot stress this enough.
    The window is added protection. Make it an absolute requirement that no one enters the laser area without protection.

Hope this helps,

Iron-Man

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Even if your laser is in a Class I enclosure you should still have safety eye glasses for maintenance (beam alignment etc), although it isn't necessary to wear them while operating the machine.

Zax.