What software to use for Jewelry

Thread: What software to use for Jewelry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What software to use for Jewelry

Looking for good design software to use in a small shop. I really don't want to spend $10,000.00 for Matrix. Planning on sending out the designs to be made until I can afford my own CNC setup.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

MOI, is free; http://www.moi3d.com

Rhino; http://www.rhino3d.com, is reasonable.

Both Rhino and MOI have a learning curve and you have to build everything you need using MOI, there isn't any libraries of settings, stones, shanks etc. Rhino has some stuff available aftermarket for jewelry, but since I don't use it, I'm not real familiar with what's out there.

3Design; http://www.3designjewel.com, is @ $6,500 and is better than Matrix, IMHO. Easier to learn and has a history feature, so if you change an element in your design, say stone shape or size, all the other elements of the design adjust to fit. A great time saver.

If you have time on your hands, mess around with MOI, or buy Rhino, but it'll take some time to become proficient. I've used Rhino some and have clients who use it and I'm not real fond of it, it's a bit clunky and quirky. There are tons of users out there and good forums, so there is plenty of help. It is a good value too, as it's reasonable.

Spend the money on 3Design if you want to be making and selling pieces instead of spending all your time trying to figure out the software.

Good idea to hold off on the CNC part of the equation, there's plenty to learn with CAD first before adding that to the mix.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used ArtCAM Jewelsmith, and it is very efficient for custom designwork.
    You can always look into small bus loans or SBA grants, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think 3Design is worth taking a look at. It's not cheap, but there really aren't any good dedicated jewelry design programs that are. 3design is parametric, which allows you to create infinite variations on your designs without rebuilding them. Also, it works as a sales tool, since even its working renders are very pretty. Currently, they have extended their Christmas special (until Jan. 17 2008) which gets you 3 days of training free (normally $1800) and a year's maintenance with the price of a copy (which I sell for $5900 - $500 off MSRP).

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use Artcam personally and absolutely love it, and there is of course 3design and Matrix.

I was really hesitant to drop 8 or 10 grand on a software program but I was VERY, VERY glad I did. Even in my small shop it paid for itself in no time. Even if you skimp on the mill (a small, inexpensive one can work fine for wax), put all your money in software, whatever flavor you choose.
    Rhino may do the job, but everyone who has used it for jewelry finds you can spend two or three hours doing what Artcam or similar can do in five minutes with a lot less hassle. There is also a lot of advantage being able to do real-time modeling of a ring in front of the customer while they describe it! Rhino by itself just won't be practical or profitable for a jeweler. It's like driving nails with a pair of pliers. Works in a pinch or for occasional use, but for jewelry is just the wrong tool.

There are payment/lease options available that drop the cost of the software to a couple hundred bucks a month, and it will make you way more than that right off the bat to have the good software.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rhinogold

hey guys!! about a good jewelry designing software, i started using rhinogold and its so cool. i recommend you to purchase it!

i started playing with it thanks to a demo (you can download it on its website for free) and i'm still using rhinogold.

in my opinion 3design and matrix are nice, but soooo expensive, and they have similar features than "mine"!

i hope i helped you!

take care guys

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

IMHO there is nothing better than 3DESIGN. I would rather spend my time designing jewelry or speaking with customers, than trying to figure out how to use a CAD program. When I tried Rhino, I was so lost with all of the command line hoohah, and, I didn't find the interface to be that appealing, which is important for me using the software in my showroom.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I suggest you to use "rhino3d" for designing the jewelry.
    This software is very user friendly and really helpful for making the designs.
    Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Artcam needs work

So, I wanted to throw my two cents in. Artcam is good for engraving and and texturing reliefs but in creating simple signet rings this program needs a lot of help. It takes way to many pieces to get a championship style ring made in artcam. Though artcam has some great features for machining stuff it lacks in more intriquet(?) style rings. Basic round rings its easy but rings that have more of a straight wall style shank and a top plate that is rectangular artcam lacks greatly. It can be done but what a headache in trying to attempt it. I just had a demo of 3design and WOW! Is all I can say. This program with artcam would be the perfect combination for A complete software integration to your business but it's not cheap. In the end if your going to truly invest in the long term for your biz I think it's the step you really need to take to be future proof.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You need some serious tools to help you out, and these days, that includes computer software. Barbara Carleton, from the Bejeweled Software Company, seems to have found the magic formula to mix algorithms and beads for a perfect combination..

Murano Glass

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think Artcam is best for jewelry so you can use this one. I am a graphic designer and have some experience in Artcam so i suggest you Artcam . This software have some good features which are important and commonly used in jewelry.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What software to use for Jewelry

What cnc machine is good for making jewelry, rings etc. Do you use 4 axis machine or use a 3d printer and make molds for casting or cnc direct to metal????

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What software to use for Jewelry

Take a look at the Taig and Sherline mills on my site. Either one would be a good choice for producing jewelry waxes. With the rotary 4th axis attachment, they're able to cut all the way around a part, or flip it and cut on different sides. I've also got a "123 wax ring" fixture which works with DeskProto's wizard to make this easier by cutting a spoked wheel inside a ring so it can be detached, remounted on the 4th axis, and cut all the way around the periphery.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]