New to CNC milling (Jewellery)

Thread: New to CNC milling (Jewellery)

Exclamation New to CNC milling (Jewellery)

Dear All,

I came to know about cnc milling recently and I am HIGHLY interested in this field. It was pure coincidence that lead me to the world of cnc through one of my colleges. She guided me toward miramill.com

I was interested in their 5-axis mill until I came to know the price tag. Therefore, I search for cnc milling communities help, seeking their advice.

Hence, I am looking for a machine that will produce me the wax models as per the photos below:

http://s8.postimg.org/hml68w5jp/image.jpg
    http://s10.postimg.org/e7zvce421/nef..._wax_stock.jpg
    http://s30.postimg.org/mah8j0i4h/023.jpg
    http://s17.postimg.org/76r40xk1r/d34...8aeb98dbb2.jpg

Additionally, I am looking for a machine that is compatible with jewellery designing software Rhinoceros 3D

Best regards,

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to CNC milling (Jewellery)

It looks like those rings were done with a 5-axis machine. The Nefertiti pendant could have been done with a 4-axis one, though. Rhino is a CAD program; no mill will directly handle the files it produces. You'll need some kind of CAM program to generate toolpaths from the CAD files, taking into account the tools and other parameters, and generate a G-code file the mill software can execute. RhinoCAM from Mecsoft is a good choice for that, since it plugs into the Rhino workspace, but there are others as well.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Thanks Awerby.

Can you think of any machines you recommend for such job? 5 axis?

Additionally, does operating on a CAM software require a professional for such a job? or is it something I can learn?

Regards,

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know of any inexpensive 5-axis mills that are worth buying, sorry. But CAM software is not that difficult to operate; it's easier than learning to use a CAD modeler. If highly detailed patterns with lots of undercuts like that are what you really want to do, you might look into 3D printing rather than CNC milling; that additive technology's come a long way, and isn't as expensive as it used to be.

Hi - well I actually own a 3D printer, and it has limitations, that is why I want to switch to CNC milling.

Can you please recommend 3 cnc mills?

Regards,

Hi - basically from the preliminary research that I have conducted, CAM programs generates the footpath of the milling machines. Is there an automated way, where i can feed the STL/design of the jewelry I want printed on the wax, and the footpath is generated automatically?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by munzerxo View Post
    Hi - well I actually own a 3D printer, and it has limitations, that is why I want to switch to CNC milling.

[There's a wide variation in 3D printers, and the common hot plastic extrusion type doesn't make surfaces fine enough for jewelry. There are others, though, that work much better for that: either hot-wax deposition type printers (eg: Solidscape) or photo-catylyzed resin printers (B9 Creator) produce models with good surface detail in materials that can burn out in a "lost-wax" casting process.]

Can you please recommend 3 cnc mills?

Regards,
    [Certainly; take a look at mills by Taig, Sherline, and ACT; there's more information about them on my website.]

basically from the preliminary research that I have conducted, CAM programs generates the footpath of the milling machines. Is
    there an automated way, where i can feed the STL/design of the jewelry I want printed on the wax, and the footpath is generated automatically?

[Take a look at DeskProto; it's a fairly simple CAM program well-suited to making artistic sorts of parts. You import the STL file, and make certain decisions, like what tool to use, how much material to remove at a time, how fast you want to feed, etc. and it produces a toolpath and then post-processes it to suit the machine you're running it on.]

Downloads
    Uploads

rhino very great for modeling..
    they have already a plugin, clayoo what makes even simpler modeling..

for machines, very much jewelrymaker use the neogroup machines..
    they have 5 axis, what works actually as a 3 axis added a trunnion table

if your budget let you invest you can step up for a datron, or a kern evo..
    these two machines capable to mill polished surface, and simply skip the casting process.. no wax no melting no casting..
    you can mill one single coin, or mill the polished coinstamp..

kern evo used by watchmakers..

================================================== ===
    3d printers.. yes solidscape had a great time, til different copyrights were prohibiting the lasersintering..
    since those out of the term, new printers came up for 1/8th price of a solidscape price.. even these new printers are faster..

additionally you don't need anymore worrying on ""braces""..
    these new printers are printing ""backward"" and printed stuff hanging down, vs old method build on table..

Full Spectrum Laser

this can create same than solidscape..

================================================== =========

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi did you Look at dls printing ? Using resign? Milling wise i think ID use a good Router to Start and a 4th axis i own an heiz 400T and an roundino to Start with in your case you need madcam or rhinocam to do the milling.
    And Then later i would Upgrade to an trunnion table but your learning curve will be quite steep thomas

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    Hi did you Look at dls printing ? Using resign? Milling wise i think ID use a good Router to Start and a 4th axis i own an heiz 400T and an roundino to Start with in your case you need madcam or rhinocam to do the milling.
    And Then later i would Upgrade to an trunnion table but your learning curve will be quite steep thomas

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk
    Hi - Thanks for your recommendation. However, I do not have time to setup a 4 axis and then add trunnion and learn footsetps etc...

I need a 5 axis machine, with an automated CAM software to mill the jewellery I need. And recommendations guys?

Regards,

Downloads
    Uploads

You say you need a good 5 axis mill, but you don't want to pay for one. You say you don't have time to set up an alternative machine, and you want an "automated" CAM software solution - presumably with some robot at the controls - but I doubt you'll want to pay for that either. It sounds like you're either going to have to come up with more money or more time...

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You say you need a good 5 axis mill, but you don't want to pay for one. You say you don't have time to set up an alternative machine, and you want an "automated" CAM software solution - presumably with some robot at the controls - but I doubt you'll want to pay for that either. It sounds like you're either going to have to come up with more money or more time...
    Hi - you are very true, what I am looking for is entry level 5 axis mill and automated CAM software, that is why i am reaching for your recommendation for the cheapest deal I can get.

Can you recommend 3 machines and 3 CAM automatic CAM softwares?

regards,

Downloads
    Uploads

check this
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1354015

this would be for your budget and 5 axis..

Downloads
    Uploads

munzerxo There is no automatic in CAM Software 3d is easy but to do 4 an 5th axis you will have a learning courve
    And you will find out in your case that the machine is much cheaper than the cam software you need to get fast and good results
    but lets see how your tourney turns out
    i am interested because i do now 5th axis for our machines