Rams 3D ?

Thread: Rams 3D ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rams 3D ?

I use Rhino for almost all of my surfacing design. Does anyone have experience with this Rams 3D? I saw them bundled on Mcneels site once and had assumed they were working together. Seems like its cheap enough for me. Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

RAMS Software is a leader in the industry for CAM software. RAMS generates highly accurate tool paths from 3dm,stl,iges and dxf files. Drivers are availble for almost every mill and CNC machine on the market. Complete 2D machining is included. Designed to operate in Windows 95,98,ME,2000,NT, and XP.
    * Open Rhino 3dm file direct.
    * Wizard interface makes it the easiest on the market to use.
    * Complete 3D/2D CAM package starting at $995.00 USD.
    * 4th Axis (Gold Edition)

http://www.rams3d.com

Does this help? Sorry, I cannot offer any personal advice on it, since we use Worknc exclusively for our cutter paths.

Dan

Last edited by Dan B; 07-08-2003 at 06:55 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response Dan. Went to their site and saw the features and prices. It looks very similar to Cimagraphi which I use at work, so thats a plus for me. I like to use Rhino for surfaces and solids and everything points to how well these 2 programs work together. Cimagraphi can use stl outputs from Rhino but costs several thousand dollars.

The first time I saw Rams on McNeel's site I think I remember it only added a couple hundred dollars to the cost of Rhino... the stand alone price seems a little steep now. Ah well, another reason to keep putting pennys in the jar.

Worknc, huh? Have to look for their site and check for other posts here. Thanks again. -Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Doug,

If you are concerned about cost, don't look at Worknc. It is very expensive (over $20,000 last time I checked) and the annual maintainence is about $3000.

It is a great package though. It is very automatic, and easily learned. If you are familiar with machining, you can be making paths the first day.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

I would be interested in seeing a review and comparison of Rams 3D against some other CAM packages out there (i.e. Visualmill).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rams 3D vs. VisualMill

Just my 2 cents but I have worked with Rams , VisualMill, and Desk proto and Rams is a lightweight. If you need a lot of features go with VisualMill, If you need ease of use go with Desk Proto. As for there free support…that’s about what it’s worth, you will be “serviced” by Jack, and you can get a feel of what that is like by reading his post in other threads in this forum.

Just my personnel experience.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello ISFOILS,
    I'm Jack in RAMS support and have bees assigned to answer questions and help as I can here at CNCzone. I apologize for the delay in geting back here to CNCzone to reply to messages. I have been on vacation and just worked as fill-in a couple of times.

RAMS actually has 3 support employees for e-mail so you may hear from myself, Ken or Gerald.

If I can answer any questions, please drop me a note at support@rams3d.com or ask away here on the forum. I'll be happy to help. Thanks. Jack.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

RAMS currently has 4 editions plus the RAMS Trace. There is a comparison chart on the site that helps ouline the difference between the editions. The prices right now start at $495.00 for the RAMS 2D and go up to $1095.00 for the RAMS Gold.

RAMS is at version 2.7.xxx right now. As well as being heavily used here in the states, the owner has expanded alot into Europe. There will be another sales and suppor office opening there in September.

RAMS 2.7 is stout in 2D and handles Rhino 3DM, STL, etc quite effectively. Many Solid Works users are included in the customer base and work with the STL output. Customers range from OEMs that bundle RAMS wih every machine they send out to the Canadian and US Airforce.

So will RAMS do EVERYTHING.... NO! But what it does, it does very well. Is RAMS finished.... NO! Never! says the owner. Will it perform like Mastercam... NO! but, it is just version 2.7 and doesn't cost $12K. Does Deskproto and Visual Mill do everything??? No! We find that most users of one CAD & CAM software package no matter the manufacturer, own multiple packages. Even those with a single use...like sign makers will own several packages.

The phone & e-mail support is free...as someone else related to here in the forums. RAMS does "Service" it's customers well, and will continue to as it grows. RAMS customers aren't numbers... they are individuals. Each email and call is replied to and considered with the same importance whether it is a manufacturer or the guy working in his garage. The e-mail support is open 7 days a week and until 10:00 P.M CST. As well, if you call RAMS...which you CAN because it is US based, you will usually speak with the owner or the senior vice president of the company.

SO... there are a few facts about RAMS. I just work in support.... but I have been here since day one and still typically enjoy every e-mail and helping someone to get up and running. No, I don't roll over and play dead when controversy arises...I speak my mind. But I am and will remain here to help if and when the need arises.

Jack. RAMS Support

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recently bought RAMS Gold after having zero luck getting BobCAD v18 and v19 to work. I've found that RAMS works great for 2D stuff and it is as easy to use as they say. I did catch it putting a circle in a part once when an arc was all that was required, but I've taken to running my g code through the Plot.exe program that came with my MaxNC and I catch that kind of stuff before it makes scrap instead of parts. I've also found that iges files don't necessarily work with RAMS and I haven't been able to get any 3D stuff to work, but I haven't had a pressing need to use that YET. I have to give a well deserved cheer for RAMS tech support. I've sent questions to them at 8 PM and gotten an answer that night. Can't beat that. My only suggestiion would be that they allow you to step through your code line by line when you do a simulation. The part that had the circle instead of the arc looked fine in the simulation, but that happens so fast you don't catch anything that might be out of the ordinary. Still the circle didn't show up in the simulation, so I'm not sure step by step would help with that. I'd just like to watch the simulation run slower.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,
    The circle in the part is a Maxnc post problem that RAMS cured some months ago. Some Iges files do not work with RAMS. The Iges format has literally thousands of variations.

Like always, if you will send your drawing to RAMS Support, we will be happy to look at it for you and see if there is a problem in the drawing or if you might be just missing a step.

Thanks. Jack. RAMS Support.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down Rams going out???

I have been trying, without success, to register my Rams 3D package. This has been going on for over 2 weeks!! They no longer have ANY phone numbers listed (including FAX) and do not respond to emails. I am wondering if they are going out (or have gone out) of business.

This is very frustrating after paying for something and then not being able to use it. They have it locked down so well, that you can't even use it in "Demo" mode until you get your license.

I am going to move on to VisualMill at a considerable extra cost just so I can get up and running. I would STRONGLY suggest that anyone considering Rams 3D, avoid it like the plague!! If they won't even send you a registration code, think what their lack of support would be like.

If this seems unwarranted, tell me how to get my registration code.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default RAMS Support & Licensing

RAMS is alive and well.
    January 1 of 2007, RAMS support and sales went to a full internet base. We do answer every e-mail we receive.

If you have a copy of RAMS that you wish to register, simply follow the steps that were included on your "Intro CD" and we will gladly get you a key.

Our support e-mail is support@rams3d.com

Thanks. Jack. RAMS Support

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry I have done as you asked, but......

I contacted you originally on the 27th of June. You responded on July 1st (a Sunday). I sent the items you requested on July 1st. You responded on July 8th and said you never got them. I sent you a copy of my original email on July 8th with the requested attachments. It is now July 13th and I STILL don't have my registration code.

What else do you want me to do? I have even had the manufacturer contact you to let you know that I purchased the software with my machine with no result. They told me that you were no longer responding to them either.

I hate to put this on a public forum, but you will not respond to my emails. All I am asking for is what I have already paid for. I even requested pricing for a "dongle" that you offer on your site. There has never been any mention about that either.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default RAMS Registration

Don't be sorry to post on a public forum... especially after you do it. However, you need to be honest. After some looking, we figured out who you are. Your first e-mail wasn't in June... It was on April 27. The e-mail was unsigned and had no information in it... here it is... less the mfg name...

"Last year, I purchased a "MFG.name Removed" CNC router table directly from "MFG name Removed" . I have yet to set it up. However, they included a full version of Rams 3D software with the machine. I just noticed that you have two versions that include more features ( 4th axis control for one ). Since I purchased the 4th axis attachment with my machine, I was wondering if there is an upgrade path from Rams 3D to Rams Gold.
    Please let me know what the cost would be. I am preparing to set up a shop and will begin using this machine shortly. I will need a better software solution once I get started and am currently looking at my options.
    Thank You."

Now, we did respond to this and your other e-mails even after having to figure out who you were. The first e-mail that had ANY info concerning who you are was sent on 6-28 when you asked about buying a dongle. We as well have been in touch with your MFG. I WILL be happy to forward you those e-mails to your private e-mail address if you can receive them. If ... IF... your Mfg. has told you we didn't respond, then they are mistaken. In fact, I forwarded them YOUR first email. Send me an e-mail where I can forward the messages we sent to your MFG. over the past 3 days to you and I'll do that.

Send the e-mail to support@rams3d.com

Like I say... although I would imagine folks here are tired of your ranting...and my replies... Air this anywhere you like. RAMS has responded...will respond ANYWHERE you wish to air your dirty laundry. ... JUST GIVE ALL THE FACTS!

Regards. Jack.
    RAMS Support

__________________________________________________ _______________
    The average US Credit Score is 675. The cost to see yours: $0 by Experian. http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/d...LFOOTERAVERAGE

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default That says it all....

I believe their last post says it all. I won't even address the abusive email that I received in my personal inbox. Oh, and by the way, I never did get my license code or an answer to my inquiry from April 27th. Check out the other forums and you will see that I am not the only one who has had problems with these "gentlemen".

Last edited by Svelte; 07-14-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down rams...

i too have had problems with rams and the people there... the manufacturer of my machine (who bundeled rams with the machine) doesn't even bundle the software with there machines anymore. as you can see by the number of people who post in the rams forum...it's not a very popular piece of software and if you demo it you'll know why. if you want a real solution look elsewhere...just my .02