How do I get started?

Thread: How do I get started?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do I get started?

I am brand new to this entire hobby, beyond I understand what I want to do, just not where to start.

I'd like to learn how to make 2D & 3D engravings of wood, acrylic, etc... (OK - full disclosure - I don't know what other materials I can work with). For example, an image of ??? but coffee table sized (in sections maybe), then cover it in glass.

I have a basic understanding of tools, math, and computers. I want to learn how I can make the items, then maybe how to incorporate them into other things (a cupboard door or coffee table top).

So where should I begin? Books that might be helpful, training or classes online, homebrewed gear or good starter items.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: How do I get started?

Learning Artcam or other type software, have a hobby cnc router like 6090 1212. do 3D engraving work on cnc router with your design.

1212 vacuum table engraving mark on wood

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi....join the club...newbie to CNC too........I think for your needs like wood and other soft materials of a fairly large size you could outlay some dough for a 6040 CNC router......that is a work envelope of 600mm X 400mm and a height of appox 100mm.....price about A$1,500 to A$2,000 approx. on EBAY with ball screws.

Anything bigger than that gets to be over the 2 grand mark exponentially......allow another 1/2 grand for peripherals like cutters and a program (Mach3) to run the dang thing.....also perhaps a Cad/Cam program like Fusion360 which for hobby use is free.

That's just a starter.....you also need a place with electrics to store and run the thing......delivery can take about 10 days as they're as common as bird sh!t.

Don't expect to cut steel with this router.....aluminium if you're lucky.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd say hold off on the machinery until you've got a handle on the software. If you can make good 3D models, you can send them out for carving (or printing), but a machine isn't going to do you any good without something for it to make. As you work your way through the tutorials of various modeling programs - look for ones that seem to work the way you think - you can keep reading posts about the different sorts of CNC machines people here have bought or built, and keep your eyes open for good deals on machines or parts to make machines from, while avoiding some of the common pitfalls others here have strayed into.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

A great start is "you know what you want to do"

What is it? there are so many decisions to make

Been doing this too long