Surfacing Anomoly

Thread: Surfacing Anomoly

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Surfacing Anomoly

I am at a loss to explain what could cause this. I noticed that I was getting lines at each successive depth on one side of the pieces being cut. I thought my spoil board may have warped so I started to resurface the spoil board and noticed that the Z axis was not aligned with the Y axis so I spent a few too many hours tramming the the Z for both x and y so that my surface came out as smooth as I could get it whether surfacing in the x or y direction. Great.

Then I put a dial indicator on the spindle and when I ran the Y axis there was a .010" difference over a 7" in space!!! That can't happen can it? I mean even if the Y axis was tilted, or even bowed, the surfacing bit would follow the tilt and the distance to the spoil board would remain constant, right?

I ran an 8x8 test on a board screwed to the base, ran a 1.375 surfacing bit first in the x direction, same slope anomaly in the Y. Then ran another surfacing done in the Y direction, same slope anomaly in the Y. No slope in the X direction. These surfacings were ran at 20 ipm and 15000 rpm in mdf screwed to the spoil board to make sure that there was no rigidity issues. I have been able to verify that the Z screw is not moving during surfacing nor is the bit moving in the collet.

Can anyone explain where my logic is failing?

TIA

RT