What kind of spindle is this?

Thread: What kind of spindle is this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What kind of spindle is this?

Hi, anybody knows the model/type/name of the spindle shown in the picture? I found them on Ebay once, but can't remember how I did it, I already tried searching for spindle, chuck, etc but no results. Thanks for any info.
    What kind of spindle is this?-spindle-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What kind of spindle is this?

That looks like the head of a Foredom flexshaft. But since these are only used as spindles on cheap Chinese routers, it's probably a knock-off. The original is a good choice for intermittent hand work, but it wouldn't last long as a CNC spindle (and the original probably uses better bearings). Also, a Jacobs chuck is okay for drilling, but not a good choice for milling, especially with small bits, since the run-out is too great and will break them. If you plan to use this for fine work, or extended periods, replace it with something that uses collets.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What kind of spindle is this?

Thanks Andrew, did some search on ebay and you are right, Foredom handpiece does show results for this. There seems to be a model (No 44) which uses collets, up to 1/4, but I wasn't able to find any info on run-out, so not sure I'll risk it. It just sound like a nice, easy to mount alternative; probably combining it with a brushless motor. But for the meantime I'll stick with my Ridgid and probably a Bosch 1617 later.