Coherent FAP Fiber Laser information needed

Thread: Coherent FAP Fiber Laser information needed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Coherent FAP Fiber Laser information needed

Hello all, I am building a cnc table / plasma cutter and decided to put a laser on it in the meantime. I purchased a Coherent FAP800 - 50w-805.0 laser package and was wondering if anybody else uses this type of laser for marking of cutting? There's some demonstrations on youtube of these fiber lasers but not a lot of information really anywhere. Was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on mounting the laser on the moving axis's or will the vibration of the movement hurt the laser? It's a diode laser so I think it wouldn't really affect it much but I'm not sure. Also if I cannot mount it on the axis's what kind of fiber are people using with this laser and do you use a focusing lens at the end of the fiber? I would assume that it needs focused to mark better. If anybody has any information on these types of lasers I would appreciate it, thank you.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Coherent FAP Fiber Laser information needed

Just a update. The diode I purchased FAP800 - 50w-805.0 laser package works great for cutting paper and similar things. It will etch and burn wood which is what I was looking for. I am running it with a Sorensen DCS10-100E power supply, 10 volts maximum at 100 amps maximum. The diode requires 2.2 volts or less at 65 amps or less. I am currently running it at 1.85volts at 55amps. It has to be water cooled so I had to machine out a special plate that has cooling passages through it and a thermocouple port to read out the temperature. The setup also requires a chiller to keep the cooling water cooled. I also built a chiller with pump, tank, cooling coils, and temperature readout for the machine. The diode is mounted on my plasma table's gantry so it has coolant lines, thermocouple, sensor, power and some extra wires to control and operate it. I also purchased a COHERENT VERDI-800 Laser Fiber Optic Cable to move the beam to where I want to put it on the table. It will need a focusing lens on the end of the fiber sometime but I do not have one yet. The beam is concentrated about 2-4mm from the fiber end but gets really diffuse about 12mm from the fiber end. Its taken a bit of money and time researching and sourcing the parts to make this setup come together but it has been interesting doing this and it will do what I want it to.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

808 nm diode source are great for soldering and for some plastic cutting welding.
    You absolutely have to protect the fiber edge from fumes and from material burning …….
    Best is to build a fiber collimator to focus the beam and protect the fiber.