Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks

Thread: Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks

I'm having trouble getting my 510 machine up and running.

I've manually threaded a wire, and it feeds (although not super smooth). I have a resin bottle on the machine and the DI is < 15uS. I activate touch mode, and the machine wont move, except in the X- direction. it will move in X-. When I crash into something moving in X-, nothing happens, the machine doesnt stop.

Also, I'm trying to manually make a cut just to make sure things are working. I've activated the standard steel .TEC using CT-Expert for 0.01" wire. In manual mode, I press EDM active. This is supposed to produce a EDM signal in manual mode where it should make some sparks. For me, nothing happens when I do this. There are no alarms on the machine. Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks

I did some additional things.

I setup the machine for a roughing operation by giving the REX, E1, H0.5 command. That seemed to make the machining parameter look better.

I also found out about taking an automated relative move cut by using the CTR command.

So, I programmed CTR, X-0.25, this all wanted to work, the injections all turned on, you heard the generator click on, but the machine just gives a wire short error and wont make the cut.

This seems related to the odd touch behavior. I can understand that the machine wont want to move in touch mode if there's a short, but why does it move in X- in that mode?

well, seems like there must be a short. or some false detection of a short. any ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks

Here's some more info.

I found the cable that the manual calls 'average voltage test (UUS)'. it runs from the electrical cabinet board to the front control cabinet to the third from the right boards in the rack PA/SA. The UUS cable looks to be in decent shape, and looks to be plugged in correctly, although i wonder if someone replaced it before because its kind of sloppy in the routing / not in the nice cable trays. I noticed that on the PA/SA board, there is nothing connected to the connector above the touch UUS cable - that is supposed to be the 'average machining current (IIS)' cable. but there is not any cable dangling there - its like it was fully taken off the machine. is that normal? there is a big coax cable going to the board in the generator / electrical cabinet, but there's no cable or connector that looks to be unused where you could run a cable from the back cab up to that IIS connector on the PA/SA board.

Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks-img-1238-jpg

Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks-img-1237-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Some info on the short:

I took apart the head to see what's going on in there. Overall it is old, but not deliberately ruined. The plastic contact block is cracked. I don't think the crack is a major issue.

The re-therading block's contact which looks to be a spring covered braid cable is broken. that contact goes down into the contact block, the fork / spade type of connector just fell off from corrosion or something. I don't really understand this piece. it wasn't welded on, its like it was just bent onto that braided / spring wire. So, maybe thats just how it is so you can assemble it. I guess I'll clean it up and get the oxide off then try to crimp it back on.

The cable that goes into the re-threading block has it's insulation broken which happened from age, and rubbing. inside the cable has a braided shield and it is intact but obviously has been exposed to the water for some time. I expect that internally the cable is OK despite this wear.

right now, the biggest problem that I think I'm facing is a short. The main big machining contacts in the upper head are shorted to ground. I don't know if that is intentional or not. I moved around all of the cables and insulated braided cables that are near the sides of the machine table, the resistance is a dead short all the time without interruption from my moving cables. I wonder if this short is supposed to go away by control - i.e. is it shorted by a relay or contactor to ground until you want to energize the EDM?

Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks-img-1235-jpg

Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks-img-1232-jpg

Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks-img-1231-jpg

Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks-img-1230-jpg

Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks-img-1228-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, got it to work.

It was dead stupid. one of the braided ground straps on the right side near the machine table was shorted to the machining contact strap plate.

in the mean time i cleaned up the head, and repaired that broken contact that is in the re-threading block. it was just soldered on there in the first place, so thats what i did to repair it (after cleaning off oxides in lime-a-way)

so, now the touch function works fine, and edm active made sparks on my test part.

Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks-img-1243-jpg
    Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks-img-1247-jpg
    Robofil, Touch not Functioning, EDM Active in Manual Makes no Sparks-img-1248-jpg