Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)

Thread: Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)

Hello,

I am having two problems with cutting a Buttress thread lathe tool out of a 3/8”x3/8”x3” HSS tool blank on a Mitsubishi FA-S wire machine using the 4th axis. The front and side relief angles are 7 degrees each and I am shooting for about five and a half threads per inch.

3 axis cutting works great for me on the Mitsubishi, but when I try to do a 4th axis taper cut, I have two odd problems that have stumped me:

(1) The actual cut lengths on the top and bottom of the tool stock are magnified about 2.5 times longer than in the CADCAM model (that I have triple checked/simulates properly).

(2) I ran 6 cuts on a couple HSS blanks and had a wire breakage each time.

I have experimented with reducing the feed rate (base feed set to 0.05 down to the greatest reduction allowed by the monitor slider). Also I experimented with epack varied from 951 to 1250 with the same results.) Wire alignment test showed good to one tenth and I am getting no U/V axis errors.

Z-taper parameters:
    Z1 – Program Dimensions Held at top cut profile = 0.714": (Top of tool blank stock above the table)
    Z2 – Level where feed rate is monitored = 0.357”
    Z3 – Table to top diamond pivot = 1.224”
    Z4 – Table down to lower diamond pivot = 0.100”

Upper Profile Cut level in the CAM package = 1.224”
    Lower Profile Cut level in the CAM package = -0.814"
    A top view thumb with a 0.010" grid is attached.

A clue from during cutting is that at certain times during every run, the arc audibly stops and starts intermittently instead of running continuously. Also I have noticed the XY and UV positions backing off and retrying multiple times. The stock is rigidly mounted and not moving and in each case the cut never got close to the end where a cutoff section could become loose and impair the wire movement.

This is my first attempt at doing a taper cut with the Mitsubishi and it is very likely that I am missing something in the setup due to inexperience.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong or other things to try would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
    Best regards,

Bruce

%BTTEST3;
    N10M80;
    N15M82;
    N20M84;
    N25G90G92X-0.1Y0.;
    N30G01X0.0008Y-0.0004U0.V0.;
    N35Y0.0196;
    N40X-0.1171Y-0.0982U0.2482V0.2482;
    N45X-0.1513Y-0.1325U0.3203V0.3203;
    N50X-0.1057U0.3132;
    N55Y-0.0004V0.;
    N60X0.2043Y-0.2104;
    N65X0.6Y-0.21U0.;
    N70M83;
    N75M85;
    N80M81;
    N85M30;
    %

Starting XY for both top and bottom cuts (-0.100, 0)
    Ending XY for both top and bottom cuts (0.600,-0.210)

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-topcut-jpg   Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-bottomcut-jpg   Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-fcammodel-jpg   Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-topfcam-010-grid-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)

Hello!

I do not know about FA-S but in the MV series you have to specify the height of the work planes in the first 3 rows of the code. Best to consult the manual on how to do it exactly.
    Also you need to align the wire to taper as well. There should be an option to do that in the wire settings area.
    I am sorry I could not be more specific, but as I said I do not know FA series, only MV.
    I hope I pointed you in the right direction tho!

Good Luck:
    Mate

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Mate,

I do appreciate the steering points to go looking for.

The G-code is posting out of FeatureCAM. One comment I got from others was that others who tried to do tapers in the shop had nothing but fits with it too. (99% of the work is straight cuts).

I have the machine PDFs coming. I will search for work plane initialization code requirements as soon as I can get my hands on them

I am not following you on the "align to taper" point. The XY touch offs and Z height settings seem to make sense and start things off properly. Inside FeatureCAM I setup the starting point for the XY and UV to begin at the same, coincident point. What does 'align the taper' process do?

I really do appreciate your good assistance!!!

Best regards,
    Bruce

QUOTE=msrblonline;2129372]Hello!

I do not know about FA-S but in the MV series you have to specify the height of the work planes in the first 3 rows of the code. Best to consult the manual on how to do it exactly.
    Also you need to align the wire to taper as well. There should be an option to do that in the wire settings area.
    I am sorry I could not be more specific, but as I said I do not know FA series, only MV.
    I hope I pointed you in the right direction tho!

Good Luck:
    Mate[/QUOTE]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello again!

There are 5 Z parameters for taper machining on my MV. Two of it is calculated when preforming taper initialization. There should be an option for that where you set the alignments of your wire.
    The rest of it comes from geometry. It can be totally different on your machine, but the concept should be similar. (My other machine is an AgieCharmiles, and that require similar parameters as well for taper machining)

Here is an example code of one of my taper cuts:

Z1 and Z5 are the actual height of your top and bottom planes of your workpiece from your worktable (can be swapped to achieve inverse taper) and Z2 is just the arithmetic mean of Z1 and Z5.

Code:
    Z1=22.352
    Z2=42.852
    Z5=63.352

N0001G90
    N0002G92X0.Y0.
    ( W1 NORMAL )
    N0003M20
    M122
    N0004M78
    N0005M78
    N0006M80
    N0007M82
    N0008M84
    N0009G90
    N0010G92X0.Y0.
    N0011H1=0.251
    N0012M90
    N0013F2.2E17241
    N0014G41G01X0.Y-5.545U0.V-2.243H1
    N0015G01X0.131Y-5.542U0.043V0.
    N0016G01X0.261Y-5.534U0.045V0.004
    N0017G01X0.392Y-5.519U0.042V0.004
    N0018G01X0.521Y-5.499U0.044V0.006
    N0019G01X0.649Y-5.474U0.043V0.009
    (my code is in mm-s but you get the idea )

Hope it helps, but the manual of the machine should be waaaay more specific and accurate on how to set it on your machine.

Good luck!

Mate

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-taper1-jpg   Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-taper2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Mate,
    After reading the FA-S machine PDF in depth, I found multiple references to a "Taper Initialization" procedure being recommended before attempting any work. Unfortunately the PDF doesn't have this TI procedure described in detail.

On your machine, is Taper Initialization simply aligning the XY and UV axes? Or something more?

Appreciate your help!

Bruce

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aligning your XY and UV axes are just for the wire `straightness`. Taper Initialization is to determine the Z3 and Z4 height. Those are not programmed, but measured. That is what the Taper Initialization is for.
    You even referred to them in your first post: "Z3 – Table to top diamond pivot = 1.224” Z4 – Table down to lower diamond pivot = 0.100”" < I'm guessing the numbers are just the default numbers from your post.

If you take a look at the pictures in my previous post there is a picture that shows what Z parameter is what.

Unfortunately I can not help you more, as I do not know how to operate your machine exactly, so I have no idea where you'd find your functions to set them, or how to preform it exactly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you still having issues? I can help you if your machine is still not cutting tapers properly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Msrblonlin,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I was finally able to figure out the Taper Initialization process after studying the Mitsubishi FA-S2 PDF for 3-4 days and calling around. The manual is complete, but scattered. It was written by someone intimately familiar with the machine and its quirks. The learning process for someone brand new to tapers with no one in the shop to help is tortuous because of the lack of a few step by step detailed examples. (I completely admit that I am not the most proficient student as well ... but show me something that works right one time and I can get it. And I do like the Mitsubishi as it I have been able to get it to cut non-taper cuts absolutely fine.)

I am still not convinced that there isn't a railroad track mismatch somewhere between FeatureCAM, its postprocessor and the MItsubishi FA-S ... and it's very likely that it is me that has a checkbox wrong somewhere.

:^)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, The manuals could be written much better.

Once the Z3 and Z4 numbers are set, never change them manually- always let the machine configure them. If your post outputs those codes, delete them.

Z1 is the critical number for standard taper cutting and Z1 & Z5 are needed for 4 axis. there are a few rare programming options when Z5 will be used (other than graphically) during standard tapering.

PM me if you have more questions. I'm reasonably familiar with the Mits WEDMs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tasdau,

Thank you for your kind offer. Here is where I stand.

I made progress by learning/accomplishing the WireAlignment & Taper Initialization. The Z3 and Z4 numbers calculated were only a few thousandths off the original numbers I had in my earlier runs. I did catch one correction in that the Z4 number in the Mitsubishi is signed positive even though it is below the Z table zero. I had put it in FeatureCAM as a positive (to match the machine), but the shape on the MitsuController looked nothing like the geometry of the model. After getting the negZ4 inserted in FeatureCAM, the Controller display improved greatly, but it still was far from a match from the simulation. See attached pics of the Z profile, FeatureCAM wire simulation, controller pic and workpiece cut. (Note: the controller screen shot was last completed-run pic I had taken and just before updating Z4 to 0.3459" which was a 0.015 change before Taper Init).

The output workpiece cut appears to be elongated in the X direction and compressed in the Y. Also, the exit cut (2nd workpiece pic) is at a steep angle when it should almost be vertical when it comes out.

In FeatureCAM the model is constructed from upper/lower surface shapes desired on the 3/8" tool blank. The lower surface is the model & machine table zero and the upper surface is at 0.375" up. It appears that FeatureCAM is computing the XY/UV axis moves for Gcode at the Z3 & Z4 guides as shown by the projected lines in the simulation.

The shape of the simulated cut in FeatureCAM looks exactly spot on, but when I load the Gcode on the Mitsubishi controller it is distorted and does not match the sim. (This is clearly a big red flag)

I have on and off tried better than 10 permutations, kind of blindly trying different things, but this is the best I have been able to do. I have to be missing some detail in the setup within FeatureCAM or the FAS controller, but for the life of me (and everyone else I have bounced this off of) I am too thick of a taper nubie to see what is wrong ... or a way to troubleshoot further.

We made a request for help from the sales org that sold us the EDM, but they told us Mitsubishi did not want them doing customer assistance. So we said fine, have a Mitsubishi support person do a quick once over on the detail doc I created. Been several weeks now and no response. That's disappointing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I really hate to have something like this whip me when I seem to be so close to getting it to work :^)

Best regards,

Bruce

PS: The post processor in FeatureCAM is named "Mitsui.cnc". I have asked the FeatureCAM folks if this is the correct PP for the FA-S2 EDM, but no response there either. (Looking inside the file with a text editor appears that it is not designed to be human readable except for one section "G500General post for Mitsubishi wire EDM Machines" that says I am in the ballpark, but not sure that it is new/featured enough to do tapers.)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-z-layout-jpg   Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-wiresim-fcam-jpg   Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-controller-jpg   Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-cut-vs-model-jpg  

Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-front-view-jpg   Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-topview010dots-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you upload your G code program and an IGS, DXF, or DWG of the upper and lower contours?

I have never used FeatureCAM (I use Mastercam) but it should spit out the code the same way. I will take your contour geometry and create a 4 axis toolpath and compare it to yours. I have no doubt we can get your machine to cut properly without too much fuss.

I have done some 4 axis stuff in my time:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-4-axis-sample-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Tasdau,

Awesome Text to MitsubishiLogo 3D geometry!

Heck, that is down right inspiring to this knuckledragger :^)

Very Nice Work!

I exported/zipped/attached an IGS of the model tuned for MasterCAM. Below is the next to the last Gcode generated (I think). Not at the shop right now ... would need to get back there when the freezing/ice lets up to see if it is close.

Also, I had 4th Axis selected in FeatureCAM ... and maybe a "standard taper" with 4th unchecked is what I need?

Thank YOU!

Bruce

Gcode

%BTTEST8;
    N10M80;
    N15M82;
    N20M84;
    N25G90G92X-0.1Y0.;
    N30G01X0.Y-0.0013U0.V0.;
    N35Y0.0187;
    N40X0.0728Y0.0915U0.1089V0.1089;
    N45X0.094Y0.1127U0.1406V0.1406;
    N50X0.1341U0.1374;
    N55Y-0.0013V0.;
    N60X0.4441Y-0.2113;
    N65X0.6Y-0.21U0.;
    N70M83;
    N75M85;
    N80M81;
    N85M30;
    %

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-4thaxissetting-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Just realized your G code was in your original post. There are a few things that need to be changed-

1. You need to have a wire compensation code (G41 or G42) otherwise your U and V won't move properly. Even if you want no comp, you need to use a comp code (use an offset value of 0 if you want no comp). Use a G40 at the end too.
    2. As far as I know, all Mits controllers require U and V movement to be non-modal. That is, the U and V values need to be called out for each line of code, even if there is no change.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tasdau,

Very interesting! Those items would be killer. It logically makes sense since they lie in my red flag zone between the correct looking sim in FeatureCAM and the Mitsubishi Controller screen that does not precisely match the sim.

Since I haven't been directly hand G-coding, both of these issues point at the FeatureCAM post processor being outdated or simply the wrong PP for this EDM machine. Makes sense that a real old PP would work straight cuts just fine, but not be capable of a higher function.

When I can get back in the shop on Thursday, I will dig through the back files again to see if I can dredge up different Mitsubishi wire PPs and see if any of them output G41/G42, continuous UV call outs for this model and G40.

Let me dig into that before you waste any of your good time on the IGS.

Thank You!

I really appreciate your assist!!!

Bruce

Downloads
    Uploads

Too late. I already made a program for a standard taper and one for 4 axis. Your geometry was simple enough for a standard taper but I thought I would also make a 4 axis so you could see the difference in the code. The machine will cut exactly the same for both. (I hope I understood the orientation of the part against the tool bar).

The angle was not exactly 7 degrees so I fixed it. I don't know what size wire you're using so I used an epack for .010. Where the two 7 degrees meet, the angle is just under 10 degrees so you are safe to use the small aperture flush cups.

Standard operating procedure for cutting with any wire EDM is to try and get good flushing whenever possible. Bring the head down as far as you can without running into any clamps or fixtures. A good rule of thumb is a gap of .008-.010.

There are no M00s in my programs prior to slugs dropping and the start point is X-.1 and Y.150 (the far edge of a clean, square bar). The screenshot is from the top with the (sky) blue at +.375 and the green (grass) at 0.0. I use this color scheme on all my 4 axis programs to help visualize everything.

My programs assume a few things:
    -Your machine is properly homed
    -Your Z3 and Z4 are set properly
    -Your wire is properly aligned
    -You are clamping directly to the table (front)
    -You have 'Absolute UV' active in the switch screen (for the 4 axis pro)

I hope I didn't forget anything.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Tasdau,

Well, that is a BIG help after looking at your code. All your assumptions are good, except the last one I don't know about:
    "You have 'Absolute UV' active in the switch screen (for the 4 axis pro)" 4 axis pro doesn't show up in the FA-S manual and I don't remember seeing it on a screen.
    The FA-S does respond to UV codes as I saw it driving with my code. I know that much. Will have to check for 4 axis pro Thursday. This machine is probably ten years old now and may not have that.

My questions on your G-code (repeated at the bottom):

1. The L1 command tells the EDM what mode it is in. What model machine do you have? (Just curious how far this machine is behind.)

2. In standard mode, Z1 is the top of the part and Z5 is the bottom (at Table Zero).
    In 4th axis, Z1 is at the bottom (at table zero) and Z5 is the top of the part.
    What is the logic for using them differently for standard and 4thAxis?

3. Statement Line2 has a command "E1211 H1 F.1"
    I understand that H1 is a variable previously set to .007 and F is the feed rate.
    I can't find information on "E1211". What does this do?

4. At line 3 there is an M00 stop command. What is the reason for the stop?

5. Line 8 has A-7. sets the taper to -7 degrees. Is that angle referenced to the table zero or top of part? (Same for standard and 4th axis?)

6. Am I correct that X.14 A-7. says go to x0.14 and when it arrives there the angle should be -7 or does it make a -7 degree angle first and then cut it all the way to x0.14?

I do appreciate you taking the time to help me get over this brick wall and seeing the difference between "standard" and "4th axis"!

Thank you!

Bruce

================================================== ====
    %
    L1/STANDARD
    Z1=.375
    Z2=.18
    Z5=0
    H1=.007
    N1 G90 G92 X-.1 Y.15
    N2 E1211 H1 F.1
    N3 M00
    N4 G0 X-.07071 Y0
    N5 G41 G1 X-.03536 Y-.03536 M84
    N6 X.04119 Y.04119
    N7 X.1 Y.1
    N8 X.14 A-7.
    N9 Y-.02
    N10 X.15652 Y-.03119 A-4.27
    N11 X.43212 Y-.21789
    N12 G40 X.44334 Y-.20133 A0
    N13 M02
    %

%
    L1/4AX
    Z1=0
    Z2=.18
    Z5=.375
    H1=.007
    N1 G90 G92 X-.1 Y.15
    N2 E1211 H1 F.1
    N3 M00
    N4 G0 X-.07071 Y0
    N5 G41 G1 X-.03536 Y-.03536 U0. V0 M84
    N6 X.04119 Y.04119 U0. V0.
    N7 X.054 Y.054 U.046 V.046
    N8 X.094 U.046 V.046
    N9 Y-.02271 U.046 V.00271
    N10 X.14079 Y-.05441 U.01573 V.02322
    N11 X.4164 Y-.24111 U.01573 V.02322
    N12 G40 X.44444 Y-.19971 U0. V0.
    N13 M02
    %

Downloads
    Uploads

I was referring to the '4 axis program'. If you're going to run it, make sure the 'Absolute UV' switch is turned on. Your machine has it in the- Maintenance menu->Switches->Switch Screen 2.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-capture-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Tasdau,

Absolute U/V was not set on the machine. Have it set now. All the FeatureCAM posts were using G90s (Absolute). (I couldn't find any into in FCAM help that state U/V parameters are posted as absolute or incremental.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After digging through the archive, I gathered up 12 Mitsubishi post processors.

None specifically matched our model "W21FAS-2" machine, so I just ran all 12 in 4axix mode to see if any looked like your 4axis post from MasterCAM.

On your U/V non-Modal point about the post processor being required to always put U&V in ... it looked like each of the posts below violate that for at least one or more lines of code.

Lots of variability ... any thoughts?

Here are those results:

================================================== ===========================

mit200HA.cnc

%
    LBTTEST10 FA2S4ax / SETUP1
    N10 G70
    N15 G90 ( ABSOLUTE )
    N20 Z1=0.3459 ( PROGRAM HEIGHT )
    N25 Z2=1.017/2 ( FEEDRATE HEIGHT )
    N30 Z3=1.017+H91 ( UPPER GUIDE )
    N35 Z4=H92 ( LOWER GUIDE )
    N40 Z5=1.017 ( THICKNESS )
    N45 G92 X-0.1 Y0.
    N50 H0=0.
    N55 E0 F0.
    N60 M80 ( FLUSHING ON )
    N65 M82 ( WIRE FEED ON )
    N70 M84 ( MACHINING ON )
    N75 G01 G41 X0. Y-0.0013 U0. V0. H0 M90
    N80 Y0.0187
    N85 X0.0742 Y0.0929 U0.1074 V0.1074
    N90 M00 ( STOP )
    N95 X0.0958 Y0.1145 U0.1387 V0.1387
    N100 X0.1359 U0.1356
    N105 Y-0.0013 V0.
    N110 X0.4459 Y-0.2113
    N115 M00 ( STOP )
    N120 G40 X0.6 Y-0.21 U0.
    N125 M02 ( PROGRAM END )
    %

----------------------------------------------------------
    MITS_ABS.cnc

%
    M20 (EINFAEDELN)
    M78 (BECKEN FUELLEN)
    M80 (SPUELUNG)
    M82 (DRAHT)
    M84 (POWER)
    G90
    G0X-0.1Y0.
    G92X-0.1Y0.
    E0
    H0
    G01G41X0.Y-0.0013U0.V0.
    Y0.0187
    X0.0742Y0.0929U0.1074V0.1074M01
    X0.0958Y0.1145U0.1387V0.1387
    X0.1359U0.1356
    Y-0.0013V0.
    X0.4459Y-0.2113M01
    G40X0.6Y-0.21U0.
    M02
    %%

---------------------------------------------
    MitFX10a.cnc

%BTTEST10 FA2S4ax
    N10 G70 G90
    N15 G92 X-0.1 Y0.
    N20 G01G41X0.Y-0.0013U0.V0.
    N25 X0.Y0.0187
    N30 X0.0742Y0.0929U0.1074V0.1074
    N35 M01
    N40 X0.0958Y0.1145U0.0313V0.0313
    N45 X0.1359Y0.1145U-0.0031V0.
    N50 X0.1359Y-0.0013U0.V-0.1387
    N55 X0.4459Y-0.2113U0.V0.
    N60 M01
    N65 M01
    N70 G40X0.6Y-0.21U-0.1356V0.
    N75 G23
    N80 M02
    %%

------------------------------------------------
    MitFX10.cnc

%BTTEST10 FA2S4ax
    N10 G70 G90
    N15 G92 X-0.1 Y0.
    N20 G01G41X0.Y-0.0013U0.V0.
    N25 X0.Y0.0187
    N30 X0.0742Y0.0929U0.1074V0.1074
    N35 M01
    N40 X0.0958Y0.1145U0.0313V0.0313
    N45 X0.1359Y0.1145U-0.0031V0.
    N50 X0.1359Y-0.0013U0.V-0.1387
    N55 X0.4459Y-0.2113U0.V0.
    N60 M01
    N65 M01
    N70 G40X0.6Y-0.21U-0.1356V0.
    N75 G23
    N80 M02
    %%

------------------------------
    Mits_FXK.cnc

%
    N10 G90
    N15 G92 X-0.1 Y0.
    N20 G01 G41 H0 X0. Y-0.0013 U0. V0.
    N25 Y0.0187
    N30 X0.0742 Y0.0929U0.1074V0.1074
    N35 M00 ( STOP.)
    N40 M78 ( FILL TANK )
    N45 M78
    N50 M80 ( FLUSHING ON )
    N55 M82 ( WIRE FEED ON )
    N60 M84 ( MACHINING ON )
    N65 M90 ( ADAPTIVE CONTROL ON )
    N70 X0.0958 Y0.1145U0.1387V0.1387
    N75 X0.1359 U0.1356
    N80 Y-0.0013V0.
    N85 X0.4459 Y-0.2113
    N90 M00 ( STOP.)
    N95 M78 ( FILL TANK )
    N100 M78
    N105 M80 ( FLUSHING ON )
    N110 M82 ( WIRE FEED ON )
    N115 M84 ( MACHINING ON )
    N120 M90 ( ADAPTIVE CONTROL ON )
    N125 G40 X0.6 Y-0.21U0.
    N130 M91
    N135 M02
    %

----------------------------------------------------
    Mits_H30.cnc

%
    Z1=0.3459 Z2=0 Z5=1.017
    H1=207 H2=147 H3=132
    G90
    G92 X-0.1 Y0.
    (SIDE4X1)
    N10Z1=
    N15Z2=
    N20Z5=
    N25E0F0.H1=0
    N30G01G41X0.Y-0.0013U0.V0.
    N35X0.Y0.0187U0.V0.
    N40X0.0742Y0.0929U0.1074V0.1074
    N45M01
    N50X0.0958Y0.1145U0.1387V0.1387
    N55X0.1359Y0.1145U0.1356V0.1387
    N60X0.1359Y-0.0013U0.1356V0.
    N65X0.4459Y-0.2113U0.1356V0.
    N70M01
    N75M01
    N80G40X0.6Y-0.21U0.V0.
    M02
    %

-----------------------------------------------
    Mits_H70.cnc

%
    Z1=0.3459 Z2=0 Z5=1.017
    H1=243 H2=173 H3=148 H4=133
    G90
    G92 X-0.1 Y0.
    (SIDE4X1)
    N10Z1=
    N15Z2=
    N20Z5=
    N25E0F0.H1=0
    N30G01G41X0.Y-0.0013U0.V0.
    N35X0.Y0.0187U0.V0.
    N40X0.0742Y0.0929U0.1074V0.1074
    N45M01
    N50X0.0958Y0.1145U0.1387V0.1387
    N55X0.1359Y0.1145U0.1356V0.1387
    N60X0.1359Y-0.0013U0.1356V0.
    N65X0.4459Y-0.2113U0.1356V0.
    N70M01
    N75M01
    N80G40X0.6Y-0.21U0.V0.
    M02
    %

--------------------------------------------
    MITS_INK.cnc

%
    M20 (EINFAEDELN)
    M78 (BECKEN FUELLEN)
    M80 (SPUELUNG)
    M82 (DRAHT)
    M84 (POWER)
    G91
    G92X-0.1Y0.
    E0
    H0
    G01G41X0.1Y-0.0013U0.V0.
    Y0.02
    X0.0742Y0.0742U0.1074V0.1074
    M00
    X0.0216Y0.0216U0.1387V0.1387
    X0.0401U0.1356
    Y-0.1158V0.
    X0.31Y-0.21
    M00
    G40X0.1541Y0.0013U0.
    M02
    %%

MITSRA90.cnc

%BTTEST10 FA2S4ax;
    N10M80;
    N15M82;
    N20M84;
    N25G90G92X-0.1Y0.;
    N30G01X0.Y-0.0013U0.V0.;
    N35Y0.0187;
    N40X0.07425Y0.09295U0.1074V0.1074;
    N45X0.09584Y0.11454U0.1387V0.1387;
    N50X0.13593U0.1356;
    N55Y-0.0013V0.;
    N60X0.44593Y-0.2113;
    N65X0.6Y-0.21U0.;
    N70M85;
    N75M83;
    N80M81;
    N85M30;
    %

Mitsub.cnc

%
    L
    H1=H2=H3=
    Z1=1.017 Z5=0.3459
    M20 (EINFAEDELN)
    M78 (BECKEN FUELLEN)
    M78 (BECKEN FUELLEN)
    M80 (SPUELUNG)
    M82 (DRAHT)
    M84 (POWER)
    M90 (ADAPTIVE KONTROLLE)
    G91
    G92X-0.1Y0.
    E0
    H0
    G01G41X0.1Y-0.0013U0.V0.
    Y0.02
    X0.0742Y0.0742U0.1074V0.1074
    M00
    X0.0216Y0.0216U0.1387V0.1387
    X0.0401U0.1356
    Y-0.1158V0.
    X0.31Y-0.21
    M00
    G40X0.1541Y0.0013U0.
    M02
    %

------------------------------------------
    Mitsubishi_FA20S.cnc

%;
    L/0111;
    N0010M20;
    N0015M78M78;
    N0020M80;
    N0025M82;
    N0030M84;
    N0035M90;
    N0040G90;
    N0045Z1=8.786 Z2=21.702 Z5=34.618;
    N0050G00X-2.54Y0.;
    N0055G92X-2.54Y0.;
    N0060E0F0.H1=0;
    N0065G01G41X0.Y-0.033U0.V0.;
    N0070Y0.475;
    N0075X1.886Y2.361U2.729V2.729;
    N0080M01;
    N0085X2.434Y2.909U0.794V0.794;
    N0090X3.453U-0.079V0.;
    N0095Y-0.033U0.V-3.523;
    N0100X11.327Y-5.367U0.V0.;
    N0105M01;
    N0110G40X15.24Y-5.334U-3.444V0.;
    N0115M02;
    %%;

---------------------------------------------------
    Mitsubishi_FA20S.cnc

%;
    L/0111;
    N0010M20;
    N0015M78M78;
    N0020M80;
    N0025M82;
    N0030M84;
    N0035M90;
    N0040G90;
    N0045Z1=8.786 Z2=21.702 Z5=34.618;
    N0050G00X-2.54Y0.;
    N0055G92X-2.54Y0.;
    N0060E0F0.H1=0;
    N0065G01G41X0.Y-0.033U0.V0.;
    N0070Y0.475;
    N0075X1.886Y2.361U2.729V2.729;
    N0080M01;
    N0085X2.434Y2.909U0.794V0.794;
    N0090X3.453U-0.079V0.;
    N0095Y-0.033U0.V-3.523;
    N0100X11.327Y-5.367U0.V0.;
    N0105M01;
    N0110G40X15.24Y-5.334U-3.444V0.;
    N0115M02;
    %%;

---------------------------------------------
    MITSUI.cnc

%BTTEST10 FA2S4ax;
    N10M80;
    N15M82;
    N20M84;
    N25G90G92X-0.1Y0.;
    N30G01X0.Y-0.0013U0.V0.;
    N35Y0.0187;
    N40X0.0742Y0.0929U0.1074V0.1074;
    N45X0.0958Y0.1145U0.1387V0.1387;
    N50X0.1359U0.1356;
    N55Y-0.0013V0.;
    N60X0.4459Y-0.2113;
    N65X0.6Y-0.21U0.;
    N70M83;
    N75M85;
    N80M81;
    N85M30;
    %

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-post-options-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

As a test, I loaded our Mits with the G-code you made from my threading tool model with MasterCAM. The geometry displayed perfectly on the screen and the part cut precisely ... first time!

VERY NICE!

So that proves the Mitsubishi EDM is holding up its end of the deal and I have a post processor problem in FeatureCAM.

Thank you for your excellent knowledge and guidance!!!!!

Bruce

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-bttool-jpg   Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-mits-successful-cut-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Tasdau,

Turned my first test using the buttress thread design using a 2" slug.

I started by off on the side of caution taking only 3 thou a swipe to get to .100 depth since this is new ground. I probably need to choke up on the tool and toolholder as I had serious chatter as evidenced by the marks inside the grooves. Not sure, but I wonder if I might be getting some spring back with the AL causing some rubbing maybe?

Pulled out my HSMAdvisor tonight to run a hard S/F calc and it recommends 6 thou at 1242 rpm. (I really like that software tool and their operating policy. Price is good, materials list is huge and it doesn't kill itself if ET can't call home. Good deal.)

Be interesting to see if I can kill the chatter with those two changes. Maybe I should grind a few thou curve just under the leading edge. Even with that problem, it is nice to see it looking right for a buttress thread nube.

Still have no feedback from AutoDesk/FeatureCAM about the 4axis U/V post processor problem. I really need to get to where I can EDM this tool myself and crank it up for real to an 8" diameter cut.

Appreciate your excellent guidance and MasterCAM workaround post!!!

Bruce

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi EDM Taper Cutting Problem (Buttress Thread Tool)-first-test-jpg