Need Help! Plasma Cutter selection in australia

Thread: Plasma Cutter selection in australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Plasma Cutter selection in australia

Hello all, i have been building another cnc machine and i am at the point where i need to think about and hopefully get a plasma source and torch head. i have had a quick browse to see what options people suggest, i have seen suggestions of the hypertherm powermax 45 and thermal dynamics, these are good and all but they are not easily available here, or at all that i know of, and the few over seas listings i have seen that possibly ship to here cost way over $3000 (AUD) which i am not up for, at most $2000 is my price point.

SO some requirements/limits:
    1) i am after something that will cut 12 mm with that beautiful almost laser cut like finish and at a decent speed, and i am building a machine that should have the smooth traversal to do that. cutting thicker than that i may consider, depends on price.
    2) i am using linux cnc and a 7i76e, i am still learning it but i feel comfortable with it and its flexibility (the reason why i chose it over mach 3 but i have tried both now).
    3) i have 1 phase 240v 32 amp power in the shed, so it has to run at that.
    4) i would like to implement it in the future so the plasma source needs to have an arc voltage/divider output for a thc.
    5) this is not required but it would be nice if the source can also be used as a normal hand portable cutter for general cutting work.
    6) it needs to not die after a few years...

Some questions:
    a) torch height control, how important is it for achieving that beautiful finish? what is the real benefit of it?
    b) for THC as far as i am aware it monitors the arc voltage and either gives direct stepper signals to adjust the torch up and down, or gives a more generic up/down command that mach 3 or linux cnc will have to interpret through the control boards gio pins and act on like a z incremental jog?
    c) i have seen a suggestion for the everlast plasma machines for australia, https://www.everlast-welders.com.au/...ry/PowerPlasma what do you think of the PowerPlasma 50S ? since it is currently on sale im looking at it keenly, but i haven't seen many videos or seen much talk about its cut quality and capability but it seems to have every thing i need. I am also looking at the PowerPlasma 80S but that website dont offer it just a huge jump to the 100S!! any ideas on these options? and if some one sells the PowerPlasma 80S for around $2k AUD? also please let me know of any other brands/local sellers that you think have a machine in my price range and does what i am looking for.

Thank you all looking forward to your replies!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by dingo117; 06-08-2020 at 08:26 AM. Reason: forgot a point

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Plasma Cutter selection in australia

Dingo, the last quote I got here in Brisbane from the Aussie distributor for a Hypertherm 45XP was around $3400 with the machine torch. To add the RS485 interface, it takes it over $4k but that does not add much in the scheme of things so leave it off.. If you are running LinuxCNC and the Mesa 7i76e, its a no brainer to buy the USD $69 Mesa THCAD-10 and run the Plasmac config for Linuxcnc. This will give you the best THC on the market for a few pennies.

I have a THCAD-10 in stock here so send me a PM.

I've owned a Everlast 50s. There are some traps using Everlast machines for CNC but I know how to set them up reliably with a 7i76e and THCAD-10 so I'll help you there.

After I sold my Everlast, I was going to buy a Hypertherm 65 but lucked on a new Thermal Dynamics A120 120 amp machine for a silly price.

So there you have it. They are the only 3 brands worth considering. (Everlast, Thermal Dynamics, Hypertherm)

I personally think the best option would be to try and find the money to buy the 45XP. I think that would have more usable grunt than both the Everlast machines. But be aware that none of them have the duty cycle to cut 12mm all day but without 3 phase and a bigger budget, you are not going to fix that. But with a bit of probing and the like, the duty cycle is never 100%

Anyway, send me a PM and I'll help you get up and running. We are working on bringing a table to market here and in the US using Mesa cards so its only a matter of time before I can source everything you need.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Oops, I forgot to add the link to the plasmac docs.
    PlasmaC User Guide
    ANd the plasma primer I wrote
    Plasma Cutting Primer for LinuxCNC Users
    Phill who created this lives in Melbourne, Stefan in Dubbo and myself here in Brisbane have had a lot of input into this config but my journey predated its inception.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

I wont be able to use 3 phase at all, not unless i get a space in an industrial area in which case money would have flown enough that a new machine wont be an issue, cutting 12mm i dont have to do all day or fast... I would just like the option to do big parts like that now and then when it comes up, my main purpose is sign making and such which will be 6 mm for big stuff, but i would like the edge finish to be very good so i can avoid lots of grinding cleanup. but as i said i would also like to get in to cutting some industrial parts from thicker steel if i can find the opportunity so that aspect would require a smooth accurate cut as well but i can do that slowly i dont mind, i dont have a choice any way, 32 amps 1 phase... so i guess i will go for that PowerPlasma 50S with its price reduced and hopefully with a machine torch it comes under or at 2k. the 50S manual states Recommended Daily Maximum Average Cut Thickness (CNC) 1/4" which is fine for my main use, Rated Maximum Quality Cut @ 10-12 IPM (Steel) 3/4" which is meeting my 12mm use as well.

so back on the topic of THC, do you know how critical THC is for a quality cut or is it mainly for reliability? also what pitfals does the 50S have with the mesa card/linux cnc? i would ask in PM which i will get around to later but for public sake it might be good to share here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dingo117 View Post
    so back on the topic of THC, do you know how critical THC is for a quality cut or is it mainly for reliability? also what pitfals does the 50S have with the mesa card/linux cnc? i would ask in PM which i will get around to later but for public sake it might be good to share here.
    Welll I cut some 6mm the other day and took this photo to show the warpage. Small parts you can get away with but imagine a larger part for your signs if you get this much variation (12mm) across the sheet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plasma Cutter selection in australia-6mm-warpage-jpg  
    Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au