newb question-turning arc on or off

Thread: newb question-turning arc on or off

Downloads
    Uploads

Default newb question-turning arc on or off

I have a new home built cnc setup I would like to use as a plasma cutter. I'm wondering how I turn the torch on or off by computer control. I don't really see the need for a THC. I can control the height by moving the z axis but how does the machine know when to start moving the machine again after the torch starts, after a stop to skip over a section without cutting it. How do I stop the torch so I can skip over a section without cutting it? I have a Hypertherm Powermax 900 plasma torch. Wondering about wiring it up for computer control too. Its set up for hand use right now.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: newb question-turning arc on or off

Depending your controller and CAM software you need a post processor for plasma CNC that will write the torch on/off into the Post file. If you're using GCode you can also do this manually if you have a basic knowledge of writing GCode. For control of the arc on/off for the HT900 ask Hypertherm, I'm not familiar with that model, the newer HT's have remote torch control thru a CPC AMP connector.