DIY Plasma table consideration

Thread: DIY Plasma table consideration

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY Plasma table consideration

Hi all,

I have a 5'x10' plasma cnc table and I'm considering building another one, but I'd like thoughts.

My main problem with the table is the software. It uses My Plasm by Proma Elektronika. Now please by all means correct me if I'm wrong but this software seems severely limiting. I'm hoping there are better options out there.

I'm using a Hypertherm Powermax 125 with THC and I use AutoCAD and Fusion360 for 5 axis milling.

The table works well, I just wish I had a lot more control over the software. Also a bigger table wouldn't hurt.

Is there a good Plasma CNC controller out there like the My Plasm one, but that has better software? What are my options?

Making parts for the table etc shouldn't be a big deal, I just need a push in the right direction as far as controlling it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY Plasma table consideration

There isn't really anything out there that competes with Linuxcnc's plasmac config. It is the best. Here is the manual PlasmaC User Guide
    A lot more info and help available on the linuxcnc forum

But a Mesa 7i96 ethernet board and a Mesa THCAD-10 will set you back about $200 total.
    The THC is done in Linuxcnc itself using the torch voltage from the THCAD-10 and Linuxcnc's smart PID algorithms
    Some of us are now adding an extra $69 Thcad-5 for ohmic sensing in lieu of a couple of relays because it then the ohmic circuit is 100% isolated from the electronics and impervious to arc voltage due to 500 volt overvoltage protection. This also frees up a couple of I/O pins.

There is some useful background plasma info on this page
    Plasma Cutting Primer for LinuxCNC Users

Last edited by rodw; 01-26-2020 at 06:22 PM.
    Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    There isn't really anything out there that competes with Linuxcnc's plasmac config. It is the best. Here is the manual <a href="http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasmac-user-guide.html" target="_blank">PlasmaC User Guide</a><br>
    A lot more info and help available on the linuxcnc forum<br>
    <br>
    But a Mesa 7i96 ethernet board and a Mesa THCAD-10 will set you back about $200 total. <br>
    The THC is done in Linuxcnc itself using the torch voltage from the THCAD-10 and Linuxcnc's smart PID algorithms<br>
    Some of us are now adding an extra $69 Thcad-5 for ohmic sensing in lieu of a couple of relays because it then the ohmic circuit is 100% isolated from the electronics and impervious to arc voltage due to 500 volt overvoltage protection. This also frees up a couple of I/O pins.<br>
    <br>
    There is some useful background plasma info on this page<br>
    <a href="http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasma-cnc-primer.html" target="_blank">Plasma Cutting Primer for LinuxCNC Users</a>
    <br>
    <br><br>Thank you for responding Rod,<br>I'll look into LinuxCNC.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I appreciate the help!<br><br><br><br>

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    There isn't really anything out there that competes with Linuxcnc's plasmac config. It is the best. Here is the manual PlasmaC User Guide
    A lot more info and help available on the linuxcnc forum

But a Mesa 7i96 ethernet board and a Mesa THCAD-10 will set you back about $200 total.
    The THC is done in Linuxcnc itself using the torch voltage from the THCAD-10 and Linuxcnc's smart PID algorithms
    Some of us are now adding an extra $69 Thcad-5 for ohmic sensing in lieu of a couple of relays because it then the ohmic circuit is 100% isolated from the electronics and impervious to arc voltage due to 500 volt overvoltage protection. This also frees up a couple of I/O pins.

There is some useful background plasma info on this page
    Plasma Cutting Primer for LinuxCNC Users

Thank you for responding.

I ordered the recommended boards as well as the Thcad-5. I should have them early next week.