Cheap THC module ? Would this work ? Some questions...

Thread: Cheap THC module ? Would this work ? Some questions...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cheap THC module ? Would this work ? Some questions...

Hi guys , i was looking around Youtube to learn more about THC (not marijuana ) and the simple and Mach3 compatible module would be the Proma THC but it sells around 300$

I been looking for other controllers and they stay in a range of 300-1000$ maybe even more and some of them come with a Z-axis assembly and accessories which i wouldnt need to install on my CNC Router Table i built . Adding the plasma torch and a water table i will be able to slide on the router , fill with water , cut , drain and take the water table off and go back to the router working space.

Here i found a full kit of Z-axis , stepper , torch holder , accessories

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...ou_110822597.1

Here i found the actual board that controls the Z-axis in the complete kit but alone by itself and the seller only told me its part of the full kit and it can buy it if it stops working/fry .

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...chweb201603_53

I was asking if i am using Mach3 and would want THC on a CNC table who already has a Z-Axis on it i probably wouldn't need the full kit.

Would this board just measure the voltages and send the data to Mach3 thru the BoB and Mach3 would control the Z-axis himself ? (obviously). And he answered me he was not familiar with this...

Ive seen this actual THC board into a Youtube video and i do not understand russian language.... Sorry .

It seems like it is installed with the knobs to control height , stepepr drivers and control screen of the machine in the box of the build but i am wondering how it needs to be connected and if it needs something else .
    Just lead in the voltages from the plasma torch and ground (picked inside the plasma cutter) , give him a power supply to work and connect it to the BoB and it would simply send the signal to Mach3 ? Which pins ?

During the video i am understanding connecting the power supply 24V on the J3 header connector and the board is a " voltage divider " and it would send the voltages to another board with a header marked "Control Input"

Anyone have already used this ? Would it works by itself and not needing the knobs to move it up and down by using Mach3 ? are they saying something specific about the module i can see in this video ?

Here is my CNC Router table with the plasma water table on it , just need to go cut strips of sheet metal to make the "surf-ace" and will make some panels to contain sparks , water slashing and also have a protective sock on the spindle and a cover for the ATC tool rack

I also printed and assembled a plasma torch holder floating Z to protect the torch nozzle if it runs over something and would also zero the Z-Axis . Found it on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2516238

i would love some help in the translation hah !

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Letomoto; 09-25-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cheap THC module ? Would this work ? Some questions...

another video of the board but from the same people

the auto translation subtitles are kind of weird ...

Downloads
    Uploads

That to me looks like a capactive sensing setup designed for flame cutting not plasma. Linuxcnc (free), its Plasmac config, a Mesa 7i96 ($119) and a Mesa THCAD ($69) today will give you far better torch height control than any external THC on the market. I suspect that unit might be a recipe for tears....

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Would the THCAD work with Smoothstepper and Mach3 ?

I also read the user manual and i was not seeing how it would control a Z-axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Letomoto View Post
    Would the THCAD work with Smoothstepper and Mach3 ?

I also read the user manual and i was not seeing how it would control a Z-axis
    No, you need Linuxcnc and Mesa hardware. All the THCAD does is send the voltage to Linuxcnc and all the THC smarts happen in Linuxcnc. It can do a much better job with torch height control than an external THC as it is THE motion controller and the config is also integrated with the GUI interface which holds all your cut charts and controls all of the various settings. All you need to do is feed it XY gcode with an M3 and M5 in it and the rest just happens.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Well , i wont rewire my whole cnc table and learn how to use other softwares i never used

Downloads
    Uploads

Linuxcnc (free), its Plasmac config, a Mesa 7i96 ($119) and a Mesa THCAD ($69) today will give you far better torch height control than any external THC on the market.
    Rodw,
    Only these 2 cards needed if you have table complete with motors and srivers ?
    Software is free download.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Rodw,
    Only these 2 cards needed if you have table complete with motors and srivers ?
    Software is free download.
    Yes, as long as the 7I96's I/O is sufficient:

11 isolated inputs
    6 isolated outputs
    1 encoder channel (used for THCAD)
    5 Step/Dir channels

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. I will contact you for mesa card.

Downloads
    Uploads

So , anyone has a suggestion for a simple and cool price THC board that would run on the Smoothstepper and Mach3 ? All i can find who will work is the Proma but its getting pricey with shipping and customs in Canada ... 300$USD is 400$CDN + fees