Need Help with cut quality/motion problems

Thread: Need Help with cut quality/motion problems

Default Need Help with cut quality/motion problems

If there is a better place to post this please let me know....

So I have had issues with my table since I built it. I used Hiwin bearings and rails (LGW25). Bearings where new and rails where used. I fixed some binding on my gantry this evening and it seems that some of my cut quality issues improved. The question is, do I invest in similar rails/bearings or does anyone have any ideas of what other v roller, bearing solution I could convert to with this table design?

Here is pictures of 14ga before and after fixing some bearing binding. What does your 14ga cuts look like??? By the way this is 14ga @ 105ipm @ 45amps.

Need Help with cut quality/motion problems-tablenotfinished-jpgNeed Help with cut quality/motion problems-tablerecentgantry-jpgNeed Help with cut quality/motion problems-badr-jpgNeed Help with cut quality/motion problems-bigr_1-jpgNeed Help with cut quality/motion problems-bigr_2-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help with cut quality/motion problems-tablenotfinished-jpg   Need Help with cut quality/motion problems-tablerecentgantry-jpg   Need Help with cut quality/motion problems-badr-jpg   Need Help with cut quality/motion problems-bigr_1-jpg  

Need Help with cut quality/motion problems-bigr_2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need Help with cut quality/motion problems

I've quickly looked at your pics out of curiosity, and it look like a reasonably rigid machine for the weight it drives. Are you absolutely sure this is related to rails or bearings? Looks more like a motion issue... worst when both motors are in motion.
    Are you able to freely more both axes simultaneously (by hands) when the motor shafts are disconnected? If so I'd look at the control and/or current those motors are getting

Downloads
    Uploads

50X50(mm) beams / 6mm thickness walls
    500Kg load (aka steel plate and your other hardware) on your frame.

Re-enforce accordingly and the binding/twisting should go away. You should start to have clean'er cuts.
    Refer to X & Y to see where you need to beef this up. I suggest "X crosses" on each sides and a cross member in the middle (on the long side).

ps. I'd start with this (personally). Beware: structural re-enforcement doesn't mean the rails and bearing will "auto-fix" if already damaged.
    pps: I kept the sim model for you. Pass on your beam exact sizing and table weight and I'll run it again if you need.
    ppps: I'm involved in the automotive industry also ;-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help with cut quality/motion problems-jayrod-z-jpg   Need Help with cut quality/motion problems-jayrod-y-jpg   Need Help with cut quality/motion problems-jayrod-x-jpg   Need Help with cut quality/motion problems-jayrod-magnitude-jpg  

Those drawings of my table are very impressive! that being said I feel like the table frame itself is VERY sturdy. is there a way i could prove/test that it is or isnt?

As far as current/control, how would i verify that that is right? my steppers do get pretty warm when sitting there active for a short time or running just a few cuts. Is that normal? Im running a Gecko G540 controller with 48v 10.5a power supply. controlled through parallel port(mach3). I know it needs resistors, I have the cables with built in resistors provided by cncrouterparts. Maybe i need to verify the resistor values?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jayrod7387 View Post
    Those drawings of my table are very impressive! that being said I feel like the table frame itself is VERY sturdy. is there a way i could prove/test that it is or isnt?

As far as current/control, how would i verify that that is right? my steppers do get pretty warm when sitting there active for a short time or running just a few cuts. Is that normal? Im running a Gecko G540 controller with 48v 10.5a power supply. controlled through parallel port(mach3). I know it needs resistors, I have the cables with built in resistors provided by cncrouterparts. Maybe i need to verify the resistor values?
    Don' worry. The temperature of stepper motor surface up to 70 ~ 80 celsius degree is very common.

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the current rating of the motors? If it's less than 3.5 amps, then you definitely want the correct resistors.

I'd look at the rack and pinion alignment. And time I've seen cuts like this on a router, it's usually due to the rack and pinion.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

motors and cables with built in resistors were purchased from cncrouterparts but i cant recall what amperage they are. I may need to double check all that.