Plasma or Laser

Thread: Plasma or Laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Plasma or Laser

Customers are always asking if we can do metal; which we can't. Recently a firm reached out to us asking for some prototype parts, and if that worked out, they'd be sending repeated jobs our way. They want the parts cut out of 1mm stainless. If I take it on, I have a couple options to consider. First option - I have a 150w co2 laser that I could have equipped, by a professional, with a metal cutting head. This setup would allow (according to the sales people) for the cutting of 2mm stainless using nitrogen and up to 3mm steel using oxygen. It would cost about $6k to have the machine modified. Second option- get a plasma cnc setup. The biggest drawback here is I have no experience using one yet. I've been looking for a reason to add one to the shop though. I have a spindle cnc and work regularly with Mach3, so I understand that portion of things. I've been reading a bunch, but was hoping to get some advise. Someone recently told me that a plasma wouldnt give me good/clean edges. I find that hard to be true. Can anyone confirm/deny that for me? If I go the plasma route, is it possible to get into something in the $6k range to do what the client is asking for? Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Plasma or Laser

Hi ,

150 watt laser for cutting metals is very low power . Laser is the best but at least you need 500 watt.

A 500 watt laser price maybe is over $20000.

You can have a plasma for around 6 to 8 thousands and it can cut 1 mm steel easily. but it will not be as clean as laser .
    you need some grinding after cut.

Where are you located ?

If you want I can convert your cnc router to plasma or help you to make a new cnc plasma machine.

If you are interest ,contact me.

Best Regards,
    mattcnc@protonmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

To me it would depend on the quality your customer will expect... Lower end air/plasma are relatively inexpensive. & Hypertherm is a good machine. There is almost always some taper across the cut surface. Used properly with good consumables & good THC they cut pretty clean

laser is more accurate but also much more expensive..

If it works.....Don't fix it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Cutting stainless with air and plasma can lead to a blackened edge. One way to overcome this is using nitrogen as the plasma gas.... Or cutting partially submerged in a water bath (ie water table)

Also consider what features you wish to cut (holes and arcs etc and what size they are)

A router is normally built for power (ie the cutting head is built for force)

Plasma however is built for acceleration, fast acceleration means little overburn.

I would suggest maybe asking on the plasmaspider forum too

Downloads
    Uploads

Plasma ,Fiber,CO2 laser machine depend on metal type ,stainless steel,carbon steel,aluminum.
    if thickness is less 1.5mm ,stainless steel , CO2 150w metal non metal laser is a better choice.
    If metal thickness is 2-15mm or thicker ,less budget ,have a low accuracy cutting demand, Plasma is better.
    If budget is enough ,high accuracy , steel thickness is not too much ,Fiber 750w,1000w is a better choice.

- - - Updated - - -

1326 metal non metal laser cutting machine cutting steel

- - - Updated - - -

Cnc plasma metal cutting machine cutting steel door

- - - Updated - - -

fiber 1000w laser metal cutting machine cutting 2mm thickness stainless steel and 3mm diameter hole