Powermax 85 settings for c220 commercial bronze 1/4" plate

Thread: Powermax 85 settings for c220 commercial bronze 1/4" plate

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Powermax 85 settings for c220 commercial bronze 1/4" plate

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if there is anyone out there cutting bronze on a CNC plasma table. I'm trying to cut 1/4" C220 commercial bronze plate into small curved shapes approximately 2"x3". Unfortunately I can't find any consistent recommendations on the settings for 1/4" bronze. My equipment includes:

Arclight Dynamics 5'x5' CNC plasma table with water table
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    Command CNC controller/software with torch height control
    Sheetcam software

The system is new and I am new to plasma cutting (have owned it and been using it for several months). So far I've had great success cutting mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum but I have recently been requested to cut 1/4" bronze. I'm aware that bronze sucks up heat pretty quickly due to the high copper content. One recommendation was to use the settings for 1/4" aluminum but slowing the feed rate. Another suggestion was to use the settings for mild steel, again slowing the feed rate. I did some 6" straight line test cuts with new consumables each time and neither one worked very well. The results varied from cuts that were sloppy and irregular on the backside with lots of bevel and heavy dross, to cuts with very narrow kerf width that looked OK for the first 4" but then failed to achieve full penetration on the last 2" (more like a gouge on the last 2"). In both situations the shield became caked with thick dross, although the nozzle was spotless afterwards. I was using a 45 amp nozzle and settings.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated including whether or not to leave torch height control on or off (very small pieces cut out of very flat plate).
    Also, should I be cutting with the water table fairly full as usual to stabilize the temperature of the metal, or would that draw away too much heat?
    Thanks