Using Motion controller

Thread: Using Motion controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Using Motion controller

So originally I was using a USB Motion controller for my new CNC Plasma build. Using 3 axis, Nema23 motors, proximity switches for limits and homing, as well as the Neuron Simplicity THC. It seems the USB motion controller I sourced originally does not allow the M10Px and M11Px commands needed for the THC to functions (turns on/off the THC at corners and kerfs).

Now I'm looking at the UC300ETH-5LPT (CNCdrive - motion controls) as an alternative. The Neuron supplier has said this one allows the commands needed for THC. My question might seem stupid but its just because I'm new to motion controllers, having only used the old parallel port breakout boards. My question is, it seems the UC300ETH-5LPT requires ANOTHER breakout board to be connected. Because the I/O connections are only printer ports. Question is, can the stepper motors/drivers be connected directly to the UC300 or first to a BOB and THEN to the UC300? I'm limited with space as I've made my electrical control box, which is cramped as it is. I want to connect to a normal laptop, which is why I need the connection to be USB or Ethernet, which the UC300 has.

As advice is appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Using Motion controller

Hi Tim,

I'm using the Neuron Lite and a UC400ETH (also have a UC300ETH) but have "bigger" plans for it.

Yes, at present UCCNC uses M205/M206 as the THC on/off commands from gcode. There is an output pin activated by these commands, and this output is wired to the Neurons "Hold" input. When the level goes high (5v) the AVC in the Neuron does not adjust the Z height.

The I/O connections on the UC300ETH are not "printer ports", they simply have outputs and inputs numbered the same as printer ports. The I/O is TTL logic levels (0v or 5v). I'm guessing you COULD directly wire the UC300ETH outputs to the stepper motor drives, and things would work fine. However, many people use breakout boards for isolating the "outside world" from the UC300ETH. Another purpose of a breakout board is buffering of the I/O signals.

There is a good isolating breakout board made by CNCROOM in Thailand. I think it's called the "UB1" and I beleive there is a newer UB1 in development. You should find it talked about in the UCCNC section of this forum and the Cncdrive forum (Cncdrive make the UC300 & UC300).

Good luck with your choices,

Keith.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, you can direct wire the pins of UC300ETH but it is better to use a BOB because the UC300ETH does not have optically isolated inputs. In my opinion it is easier to go through a BOB because the BOB have screw terminals, while the UC300ETH has IDC26 connectors. Other than that, it is up to you.

You do know that they have a very active support forum as well:

forum.cncdrive.com ? Index page

Register there and you'll get answers directly from the manufacturers.

Another thing you have to think about that their motion controllers work only with Mach3 and UCCNC. If I was buying their motion controller (and not already had one) I'd also buy a UCCNC license. It is cheap and much better than Mach3 in my opinion. You can download a complete version if UCCNC and use it in demo mode without motion controller. Motion is prohibited in the demo version, otherwise everything works as in the licensed version.

https://www.cncdrive.com/UCCNC.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

+1 on the optically-isolated I/O.
    Also +1 on the screw terminals!

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Yes, you can direct wire the pins of UC300ETH but it is better to use a BOB because the UC300ETH does not have optically isolated inputs. In my opinion it is easier to go through a BOB because the BOB have screw terminals, while the UC300ETH has IDC26 connectors. Other than that, it is up to you.

You do know that they have a very active support forum as well:

forum.cncdrive.com ? Index page

Register there and you'll get answers directly from the manufacturers.

Another thing you have to think about that their motion controllers work only with Mach3 and UCCNC. If I was buying their motion controller (and not already had one) I'd also buy a UCCNC license. It is cheap and much better than Mach3 in my opinion. You can download a complete version if UCCNC and use it in demo mode without motion controller. Motion is prohibited in the demo version, otherwise everything works as in the licensed version.

https://www.cncdrive.com/UCCNC.html
    Yes, I've seen I'll probably have to just go for a simple BOB, with all the motor and switch wiring going to it, which then goes to the UC300ETH.

I've been in contact with Balazs already and seems like a good support network.

I'm currently using Mach3. But now I've been advised, from Andrew at Neuron, that the UCCNC is probably better. I've already bought a Mach3 license for the current machine, but will have a look at using UCCNC on the next.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    +1 on the optically-isolated I/O.
    Also +1 on the screw terminals!

Cheers
    Roger
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean?

Downloads
    Uploads

+1 means 'strongly endorse' - net jargon.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    +1 means 'strongly endorse' - net jargon.

Cheers
    Roger
    Ah!
    +rep

Downloads
    Uploads

I've already bought a Mach3 license for the current machine, but will have a look at using UCCNC on the next.
    Spending $60 more for a better control is well worth it in the grand scheme, isn't it?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)