Need Help! Ohmic Sensor Electronics


Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Ohmic Sensor Electronics

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Ohmic Sensor Electronics

    Hello. I am new to the forum. I recently built a 4' x 4' plasma table with a floating head. I am using Mach3 to drive the table and my plasma machine is a TD Cutmaster 52. Everything is working great.

    However, I would like to incorporate an ohmic sensor to my machine. The floating head works great for initial height sensing the majority of time with the exception of when I cut thin gauge material. Hence, I would like to install the ohmic sensor. Below is pic of the machine that I built. Also, I have included a diagram of the ohmic sensor I plan to incorporate. I would really appreciate comments/criticism/whatever. Are there improvements? Will I fry my BOB?

    Thanks,
    Jeff



    Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ohmic Sensor Electronics-assembly1-jpg   Ohmic Sensor Electronics-img_0767-jpg   Ohmic Sensor Electronics-ohmicsensor-jpg  


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwweathers View Post
    Hello. I am new to the forum. I recently built a 4' x 4' plasma table with a floating head. I am using Mach3 to drive the table and my plasma machine is a TD Cutmaster 52. Everything is working great.

    However, I would like to incorporate an ohmic sensor to my machine. The floating head works great for initial height sensing the majority of time with the exception of when I cut thin gauge material. Hence, I would like to install the ohmic sensor. Below is pic of the machine that I built. Also, I have included a diagram of the ohmic sensor I plan to incorporate. I would really appreciate comments/criticism/whatever. Are there improvements? Will I fry my BOB?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Anybody??



  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1469
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Ohmic Sensor Electronics

    I'm interested in what you are trying to do.

    My first thought is that as soon as the plasma is started you will fry the 12v power supply.

    Nice little table you have built. How are you coping with the mess created?



  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Ohmic Sensor Electronics

    Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    I'm interested in what you are trying to do.

    My first thought is that as soon as the plasma is started you will fry the 12v power supply.

    Nice little table you have built. How are you coping with the mess created?

    Thanks. I don't think that would happen only because the shield cap is floating. That is the sort of thing I am worried about, though. For instance, I supposed the plasma could arc to the shield cap??? That is what I need help with, but the experts here seem reluctant.

    I assume you mean the mess from cutting. I am using a broom.



  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2247
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Ohmic Sensor Electronics

    Normally you use the shield to ohmically sense the material....the shield will be connect through an isolation relay (300 VDC rated contacts)......and open the relay after the plate is sensed, and before the torch fires, you will have to figure out how to time the relay via your machine code and I/O capability on your machine. This will make the electronics live if the shield gets shorted to the nozzle from pierce splatter. Jim Colt Hypertherm



    Quote Originally Posted by jwweathers View Post
    Thanks. I don't think that would happen only because the shield cap is floating. That is the sort of thing I am worried about, though. For instance, I supposed the plasma could arc to the shield cap??? That is what I need help with, but the experts here seem reluctant.

    I assume you mean the mess from cutting. I am using a broom.




  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Normally you use the shield to ohmically sense the material....the shield will be connect through an isolation relay (300 VDC rated contacts)......and open the relay after the plate is sensed, and before the torch fires, you will have to figure out how to time the relay via your machine code and I/O capability on your machine. This will make the electronics live if the shield gets shorted to the nozzle from pierce splatter. Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Jim,

    Thanks for the reply. So I think you are recommending that I add a relay which would isolate the 12V power supply from the torch when I am not interested in ohmic sensing. Is that accurate?

    Thanks,
    Jeff



  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2247
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Ohmic Sensor Electronics

    correct. Jim Colt

    Quote Originally Posted by jwweathers View Post
    Jim,

    Thanks for the reply. So I think you are recommending that I add a relay which would isolate the 12V power supply from the torch when I am not interested in ohmic sensing. Is that accurate?

    Thanks,
    Jeff




Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Ohmic Sensor Electronics

Ohmic Sensor Electronics

Ohmic Sensor Electronics