How do I connect Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3

Thread: How do I connect Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do I connect Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3

Hey guys,
    This is my first post so please be gentle I think I'm on the right track.
    I have not found any instructions for wiring the Proma THC to the Gecko g540 and how to set up Mach 3 once the connections are made. I have a Hyprertherm 45.

I have attached three pictures that better illustrate what I have done and the questions I have.

I have Connected Pins 5, 6 From My Hypertherm 45 to My Gecko g540 to Pin 12, 5 the Plasma Starts and Stops fine
    I have Connected Pins 3, 4 From My Hypertherm 45 to My Proma Compact THC Controller 150 to -, + blocks like shown below.
    I then Connected this Plus and minus to my Gecko Power Supply. I can fire the torch and see the Arc Voltage displayed on the THC display.

The Problem is where do the COM, DWN, ARC, and UP wires go on the Gecko Inputs?

COM ---- Position 12 in Gecko?
    DWN ---- Input 1 Postion 1 in Gecko ?
    ARC --- Positioin 5 in Gecko?
    UP ---- Input 2 Position 2 in Gecko?

I have it wired like this but it wont go up or down.

If this will work How do I then set up Mach 3?

I have attached a screen shot of my Mach 3 Input signal configuration as well

Thanks so Much in Advance this has me baffled.
    Im guessing its a Mach 3 setting preventing it from going up and down any help would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I connect  Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3-plasmacon1-jpg   How do I connect  Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3-plasmacon2-jpg   How do I connect  Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3-plasmacon3-jpg   How do I connect  Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3-mach3pin-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was just about to ask the same question since I got my Hypertherm 45 today and the Proma THC will arrive in 4 days. And my other question is, Is a relay needed from pin 5 in the g540 if you run this set-up? I had another plasma machine hooked up using a relay from pin 5, it worked like it was supposed to but the torch caught on fire a bit later.

Hopefully you get everything wired up and running.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ya I got it working. The detail I wrote actually worked.
    No additional Relay required

COM to Position 12 in Gecko or the Ground on the Power Supply side "That's how I did it"
    DWN to Input 1 Postion 1 in Gecko
    ARC to Positioin 5 in Gecko?
    UP to Input 2 Position 2 in Gecko

Give me a shout if you have any probs. I will send ya more pics or screen shots of Mach3 if needed

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I connect  Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3-20130917_213927-jpg   How do I connect  Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3-20130917_214008-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do I connect Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3

I just got my proma thc sd it has step and dir input and output im using a g540 how do I connect this what are the step and dir out puts on g540 im guessing its two of the four wires going to my stepper motor from the db9
    I have the rest of it connected im lost with this part

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I connect  Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3-dsc05563-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mycnc000 View Post
    I just got my proma thc sd it has step and dir input and output im using a g540 how do I connect this what are the step and dir out puts on g540 im guessing its two of the four wires going to my stepper motor from the db9
    I have the rest of it connected im lost with this part
    Bad Guess! That will burn up your SD. It wants LOGIC level Step & Dir from a Breakout board then logic level back to the Z motor driver. Since the G540 is self contained you cannot easily get to those signals. You need another BoB in front of the G540 so you can breakout the Z Step & DIR BEFORE it gets to the DB25 on the G540 then back to it

Did the Proma SD come with a manual? Just the block diagram on the website shows the connection if you have a separate BoB and individual motor drives

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

that gets tricky since my g540 is connected via db25 how would I add another breakout board in there I would have to change to a separate board from my g540 altogether I don't want to do that

Downloads
    Uploads

It does present a dilemma for sure. It also will present other problems. In the older version the commands were sent to MACH3 and IT moved the Z so it always knows the true position of Z so the next G-Code move is from the right place . This version moves the Z independent of the control software during a cut . Its kinda like someone else driving your car and leaving it parked some other place and not telling you where. Should be fun!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    It does present a dilemma for sure. It also will present other problems. In the older version the commands were sent to MACH3 and IT moved the Z so it always knows the true position of Z so the next G-Code move is from the right place . This version moves the Z independent of the control software during a cut . Its kinda like someone else driving your car and leaving it parked some other place and not telling you where. Should be fun!
    well not knowing that much about it I would assume ....and we all know what that does lol....that the value that it corrects is very small increments so im thinking I need to order the proma 150 it looks like its possible to make it work correct me if im wrong

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wish they would explain some of this stuff so that we can order the right thing the first time

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi!
    It will be great if you give any information about your Break Out Board.

In the proma manual I see that STEP / DIR Inputs and Outputs TTL 5V, 470 Ohm +5V PullUp inputs.

I think - you have to connect Gnd output from BOB direct to 18 (18-25) pins of the G540 LPH26pin connector and (-)power of the Proma.
    Pulse(+) and Dir(+) BOB output to StepIn and DirIn inputs of the Proma. StepOut and DirOut of the Proma to 6 and 7 pins of the G540 LPH26pin connector.

My controller has common +5V Pulse/Dir interface and for connection to the G540 I use small BOB with Hi-speed optoisolations.

Torchhead is right - during cutting with Proma SD height control Mach3 has no information about torch position. Maybe for you it does not matter, but you should know this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I connect  Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3-g540bob-png  
    Last edited by shad71; 04-21-2015 at 05:02 PM.
    Best Regards!
    Andrew.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shad71 View Post
    Hi!
    It will be great if you give any information about your Break Out Board.

In the proma manual I see that STEP / DIR Inputs and Outputs TTL 5V, 470 Ohm +5V PullUp inputs.

I think - you have to connect Gnd output from BOB direct to 18 (18-25) pins of the G540 LPH26pin connector and (-)power of the Proma.
    Pulse(+) and Dir(+) BOB output to StepIn and DirIn inputs of the Proma. StepOut and DirOut of the Proma to 6 and 7 pins of the G540 LPH26pin connector.

My controller has common +5V Pulse/Dir interface and for connection to the G540 I use small BOB with Hi-speed optoisolations.

Torchhead is right - during cutting with Proma SD height control Mach3 has no information about torch position. Maybe for you it does not matter, but you should know this.
    My bob is a gecko g540 on ebay there is a proma 150 thc that has a diagram for wiring it up to the gecko g540
    I sent my proma SD back and he is sending me the 150 now I just have to wait two weeks lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mycnc000 View Post
    My bob is a gecko g540 on ebay there is a proma 150 thc that has a diagram for wiring it up to the gecko g540
    I sent my proma SD back and he is sending me the 150 now I just have to wait two weeks lol
    They also have the settings for mach3 on ebay item number 321703720097

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, this lot has full information about connection and setup.

Best Regards!
    Andrew.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jadog View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have not found any instructions for wiring the Proma THC to the Gecko g540 and how to set up Mach 3 once the connections are made. I have a Hyprertherm 45.

I have attached three pictures that better illustrate what I have done and the questions I have.

I have Connected Pins 5, 6 From My Hypertherm 45 to My Gecko g540 to Pin 12, 5 the Plasma Starts and Stops fine
    I have Connected Pins 3, 4 From My Hypertherm 45 to My Proma Compact THC Controller 150 to -, + blocks like shown below.
    I then Connected this Plus and minus to my Gecko Power Supply. I can fire the torch and see the Arc Voltage displayed on the THC display.
    Is this first post actually correct to me it looks the wrong way around?

Pins 3 & 4 Are on and off in the Hypertherm manual
    Pins 5 & 6 are the voltage divider in the Hypertherm manual

I don't want to blow the ass out of my G540 or my Hypertherm

Downloads
    Uploads

Trust the Hypertherm manual!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jadog View Post
    Hey guys,

The Problem is where do the COM, DWN, ARC, and UP wires go on the Gecko Inputs?

COM ---- Position 12 in Gecko?
    DWN ---- Input 1 Postion 1 in Gecko ?
    ARC --- Positioin 5 in Gecko?
    UP ---- Input 2 Position 2 in Gecko?

I have it wired like this but it wont go up or down.

If this will work How do I then set up Mach 3?

I have attached a screen shot of my Mach 3 Input signal configuration as well

Thanks so Much in Advance this has me baffled.
    Im guessing its a Mach 3 setting preventing it from going up and down any help would be greatly appreciated.
    are you sure about these connections pins 3&4 pm45 are torch on and off... 5&6 are divied voltage.. proma says the connect to +- on the proma
    I'm using a relay with pm 45 pins 3&4 connected to that.. they are 18 volts I don't want to introduce that voltage to my gecko g540
    the proma inst say down arc up go to terminal 123 on g540
    its not working lol
    any advise

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello guys, who would like to get good information about Proma THC Sd. A week ago I purchased this item for my plasma table..This is the correct connection to the my board breakout.I made simulation with this item alone after that I Hooked Up to my Mach3

esrobotics@walla.com

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I connect  Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3-imgp0125-jpg   How do I connect  Proma 150 THC to Gecko g540 and configure Mach3-787727111_w640_h640_shemaaa-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm looking at a torch height controller HP 105 and it has the voltage sensing set at 100:1. My plasma cutter can't be set at 100:1 only 50:1 voltage divider is possible (or full voltage of course) is there a way to correct this???