Absolute readout & tool length offset

Thread: Absolute readout & tool length offset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Absolute readout & tool length offset

G'day all

I'm currently the operator of an Extron 4 axis machining center. It has the Itri/mirl m2000 control (Fanuc based). After 12 months on this machine i pretty much have it sorted out.. just one thing has bothered me.

As we have a 20 tool changer and most jobs use more than one tool i set the tool lengths off the table surface. The trouble is that the control dosn't allow for the Tool Length offset (G43) in the Absolute or Relitive co-ordinates readout. If for example my tool length for tool one is 145.5 mm and i use the code
    G43 H1
    G0 Z0

When the machine reaches Z0 the readout will display Z145.5 instead of Z0. While i have been able to use the machine quite sucessfully it would make life much easier if i could see exactly what the z axis is doing without having to do a calculation on my hand calculator to ge the true Z position.

Does anyone know how i can change this? Is the some parameter in the control that allows for this? Or is there another method of setting up my tools?

Thanks
    Cheers
    Leeroy

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Does this control only have one screen for position? It sounds as though it is showing you machine position in the machine's G53 coordinate system.

Are you using a work offset in your programming? Is there a position screen that makes reference to "work" coordinates or something like that?

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have any idea of which Fanuc it's based on? For a 21iM, I'd look at Parameter 3104 bit 6.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Absolute readout & tool length offset-21im-prm-3104-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It may be in the program itself.

G0 G43 X4 Y3 Z2 H14 M3 S1000
    G92 X4 Y3 Z2 M8
    G0 Z0

If you don't call out the postion again after the G92 it will do what Leeroy is saying.Anyway that is how the meldos control works on are comet.

Just push the button,what's the worst that could happen.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies guys..

Yes i am using a work offset, mostly G54. Under the "Position" display i only get Absolute, Relative, Machine and Distance to go readouts. There is no reference to "work" coordinates at all.
    I have't used G92 before. A typical program looks like this.

M6 T1
    T0
    G0 G90 G54 X0 Y0
    G43 H1 Z50 M8
    M3 S5000
    G0 Z10
    G1 Z-1 F500
    X25
    Z0
    G0 Z200 M9
    M5
    M6 T0
    M30

The manuals that came with the machine cover the basics and do list some of the internal parameters but there's nothing about tool length offset. And as usual they are a very poor translation.
    Even a google search on the controll revealed no info at all.
    I did read about the fanuc parameters on another thread. The control is PC based under DOS so i'll have a look for any text or doc files there but i doubt it.

Cheers
    Leeroy

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Absolute readout & tool length offset

Hey Leeroy,

Did this ever get sorted?
    I have the same scenario.

Thanks