CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Galil Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Is there anyone using Galil Cad-to-DMC software?
    Al.
    Al,
    I just started researching Galil as an option for a 5-axis machine. There products look reasonable and more advanced than the gecko line of controllers. I do, however, think that their DMC (controllers) talk to Camsoft.
    I have yet to contact Galil on this issue and, while spectulating, either I or you can call them at 1-800-377-6329. I was going to do that today but it's 9:00 EST and they are still asleep on the West Coat.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am familiar with the Camsoft/Galil products, but I am looking at alternatives, Also Mach have developed an interface for the Galil Card.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm still in the process of my first retrofit; I started out a couple years ago by buying some Galil hardware. I didnt realize Galil had its own language. If I remember correctly, I called Galil, and they referred me to Camsoft saying that they do not handle the software anymore.. When I called Camsoft, they had it, but it seemed very expensive (more than a couple hundred) to me so I got rid of the stuff and opted for the open source stuff.

Don.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Galil Controllers: and products

Al,
    I was wondering if you have much experience with Galil products.
    I'm considering buying one of their 8-axis controllers. Now, I'm not sure if their products lend themself to building a 5-axis machine. I sometimes get the impression that they are more of a stand alone motion solution, i.e. just discrete axis's of motion for manufacturing. But, it seems, since they promote Camsoft as part of their partner product line that their controllers along withe amplifiers, encoders and filters could combine into a multi-axis cnc machine.
    CAM TO CONTROLLER:
    For me, the one thing I have to research is how their PCI contoller cards talk to a program like Camsoft (cam). Say, for example, we have a CAD file and we import that file into Cam (Camsoft, Bobcam, visualMill, MadCam. .etc.)
    how, then, do we import the file into the contollers to execute the movements in a 5-axis machine built from Galil products?
    PROGRAMING:
    One more thing, I'm not sure if you have to do alot of programming in c/c++ or visual basic to get their products to work as a 5-axis machine. I would like to find out. If the programming requirements aren't too much then I might consider doing some of that for a single machine.

If you call Galil, and I intend to also, we should try to get them to "post" a flow chart of the Cad-cam process from Cad file to machine code. In other words, a chart showing how their products implement the process.
    ***Let's see if we can get them to moderate this thread*****

Regards, Jerry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Galil: 5-axis machine

I am familiar with the Camsoft/Galil products, but I am looking at alternatives, Also Mach have developed an interface for the Galil Card.
    Al.
    Al,
    You say you are looking "at alternatives". Is it the Support, price, etc...that makes you look for alternatives. I'm just wondering what motivates the search in case it is something about Galil products that might be imprtant to me.
    Could you give me a basic outline of what components I would need for a 5-axis machine, and software from Galil. It would help me focus on some specific items in my research. for example.
    (1) Pci controllers
    (2) amps
    (3) encoders
    (4) servos vs. steppers
    (5) Cam software
    (6) Cad import requirements, i.e. dxf. dwf. etc....
    I'm going to call Galil in a couple of hours and see If I can get some specific prices. This way I don't have to run around and get data sheets for everything.
    Regards, Jerry

Downloads
    Uploads

The Galil cards can be stand alone, ISA/PCI bus or ethernet operated.
    Unfortunately Galil do not offer a CNC style HMI interface, only a general communication program where you can download native Galil language programs and run them on the card, I have done this extensively.
    So the main purpose of programs like Camsoft and Mach, is to fill this gap and provide a user friendly MMI/HMI Programming/Gcode interface to simulate commercial CNC controllers.
    Anyone implementing these types of interface has to be familiar with the physical machine hook up to servo's and M code operated functions, which has to be done regardless on any system.
    But as to the programming, in the case of Camsoft, the programming of both G code and M code functions is done in simple flow chart style programming.
    If you have had any exposure to simple programming, it should come easy.
    At one time, the integrator had to write both G code and M code routines from scratch, but I gather they now have a library of sample machine codes that hastens the development period.
    I am experimenting with DOS based control as I have an aversion to Windows for CNC control.
    One of the present programs I am experimenting with is a DOS interface that Galil no longer supports due to the demise of the ISA/DOS system.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Galil: 5-axis machine

Al,
    So, would you recommend using Galil for a complete 5-axis gantry router?
    The " Galil rep" called me this morning, I'll probably buy him lunch for some information.
    For the software, so, we can use Mach, or Camsoft for the interface to load the g-code generated by the software. Was that Mach (?) version.

Downloads
    Uploads

Galil should be capable of 5 axis, for the Mach solution Hillbilly posted recently as he has used it.
    You may get more information from him.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51235
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Use the CamSoft/Galil setup. You will be much happier. Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Gary Corey is by far, the most knowledgeable expert in this field and has spent years compiling his software. His background comes from the invention of PC based CAD/CAM and the first to truly program 5 Axis from PC, first graphics based, etc. Yes, it may be more expensive, It's not for hobby stuff, but for daily users in prototype and production. The majority of problems are already solved and if your reasonably intelligent, you can easily install and run the system. It will run any type of G-Code you may already have for the machine also. Camsoft also has a full, real world, 5 axis programming system if you need.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Galil Controllers: and products

Great, so, galil products will make a great 5-axis "pro" quality machine...right
    OK, and Galil products can combine to make a "real world" 5-axis Gantry router?????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

And the CamSoft interface, yes. I would think trying to use the Galil on it's own and writing your own interface would be wasteful timewise. Unless that's the business your in, but I would assume you want to get up and productive. And of course "pro" quality will depend on many factors other than the CNC Control. Machine type, condition, motors, etc. But yes, if your putting this in a producing environment and if you need to make money then it will work right, including inverse time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Camsoft can be cost effective if using existing motors and drives, otherwise the cost difference between this and off the shelf commercial system is small.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ratrace2 View Post
    Al,
    You say you are looking "at alternatives". Is it the Support, price, etc...that makes you look for alternatives. I'm just wondering what motivates the search in case it is something about Galil products that might be imprtant to me.
    Could you give me a basic outline of what components I would need for a 5-axis machine, and software from Galil. It would help me focus on some specific items in my research. for example.
    (1) Pci controllers
    (2) amps
    (3) encoders
    (4) servos vs. steppers
    (5) Cam software
    (6) Cad import requirements, i.e. dxf. dwf. etc....
    I'm going to call Galil in a couple of hours and see If I can get some specific prices. This way I don't have to run around and get data sheets for everything.
    Regards, Jerry
    Al, can you help me put some actual product to this outline..???

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Galil: 5-axis machine

I have a galil dmc 1000 isa based controller on a wood router that I have been using camsoft on for about 15 years. It runs windows 98. The software is far too expensive for my application. And the software was/is a joke, but there was nothing else out there. I have been using Galil controllers for many other applications for 20 years, and they perform very well. In fact, I have a 2183 with 4 400w drives built in that has never been used that I will make you a deal on if your interested. I have considered writing my own labview full cnc controller for awhile, but I want to investigate the mach3 interface. I have written other labview interfaces for special applications.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Galil Software users

dxf to g-code is a joke. I wouldn't mess with the Galil WSDK. I like the dmcTerm software (free) but they don't support it. The GalilSuite and GalilTools are free in the light version. I have both of the full versions, but their servo tuning and scope functions have never been useful to me. You can google servo tuning and do better manually. You want a system that is real tight, not mushy, but not ringing. Like I said in another post, I use Camsoft from back in windows 98 era but I hate it, and it's way, way overpriced.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have used the DMC-1000 in many applications over the years, I use(d) the old Opint S/W that was geared to the DMC1000, it has done a bang up job for me in simple operator data input (non CNC G code) applications.
    If you ever write a CNC front end for the Galil you have my interest for sure.
    I am surprised that Galil never did their own like the old Acroloop did.
    They said there was not enough interest???
    It was the pricing that deterred me on Camsoft also.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am moving to the 20x3 series and 4100 controllers. That's where I will focus on a cnc interface. I started to build one then my drive crashed (years ago) windows 7, labview 13 or 14 is where I will focus. If I do it, it will rely on the dmcTerm. galilTools, or suite with the activex, or .com library. It will be a simple system that runs selectable tools. It will convert all standard G-code to galil language. Forget the 2d,3d,4d,5 axis upgrade premiums from that ripoff Camsoft. 1/2 of their crap is not needed and like Microsoft, it is 5x the price it should be. However, don't hold your breath. It's doable, and I know how to go about it, but I am talking big right know with all the other priorities I have.

Default Re: Galil: 5-axis machine

How much for the Galil 2183 and drive board?

Downloads
    Uploads

Al.
    Buen dia tengo una targeta,galil modelo 30011 el sofware galiltools para configurarla me pide una contraseña para ingresar tienes algun conocimiento que contraseña es o donde la puedo encontrar gracias

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast