Old Router Code

Thread: Old Router Code

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Old Router Code

In a recent Thread I asked for help in identifying an old (approx 1995) router:

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/engra...ld-router.html

The Thread has got some images of the machine and an image of a sample code file.

ZASto kindly replied with a hint that the NC code was plotter based.
    I have done some searching, but I am unable to get a handle on how to interpret the code files still on the machine.
    ZASto suggested that PU = Pen Up and PA = Plot Absolute, and they seem reasonable.

But how do I interpret the complete lines: PU0,33600,-200; PA0,33600,0 etc ?
    Is this:
    - Pen Up, go to cords 0,33600,-200,
    - Move absolute to cords 0,33600,0 etc

The 33600 number could be 336.00 mm as that would fit on the machine, and perhaps '-200' is 2.00 mm upwards from home.
    Just need suggestions on where to get language descriptions that might apply.

I recognize that the future of this machine is likely to be a complete revamp of the control software, but right now we just want to get it working so that any problems can be identified.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
    John

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Old Router Code

It nearly looks like a plotter type code I used on a drum type plotter
    ... look at a HPGL type driver ie a Roland plotter

PU, PD are pen up/down
    PA is position absolute
    numbers are co-ords ... you would need to work out where the decimal point is placed after finding what units the output is set to.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just to familiarize yourself with HP-GL.
    https://www.isoplotec.co.jp/HPGL/eHPGL.htm

As I wrote in your original topic, if I were you, I would "modernize" that machine with modern controller, and modern software. It includes changing the computer.

Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Downloads
    Uploads

I hope I will be forgiven for nudging this thread off track.I have an old Benson plotter that I picked up very cheaply a long time ago and it is DOS based.It runs BGL (Benson Graphic Language) and I have never been able to do anything with it.I can't claim to understand the Zmodem manner of operating either so given the knowledge displayed on this thread,I would like to ask whether I could make it work with any other control system and LinuxCNC would be a real bonus.Otherwise it will remain a useful storage rack.

Downloads
    Uploads

ZASto,
    Thanks for the second link to isoplotec.
    I tried the link initially, but it came up "Forbidden", and I exited to do other things.
    When you linked it a second time, I realized that you thought there was something there, and I should dig deeper.

Did the digging, and translating, to discover amazing software that views all sorts of graphical images and files.
    Buried deep was a full description of one of the HP plotting languages that, on a quick scan, answers all my questions.
    I now have a copy of that in text form, and I will try later to extract the images contained in the file.

My mate has acquired a 3x4 matrix keypad to replace the damaged membrane, and I plan to visit today to see if we can get some controlled operation.

On the modern front, I have a turret mill with LinuxCNC, parallel port to a BOB and Leadshine drivers, and something like this would be what I recommend to the mate.
    Thanks again,
    John.