New Machine Build Milling from AutoCAD LT

Thread: Milling from AutoCAD LT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Milling from AutoCAD LT

Hello all,

Currently I am using a Roland EGX-300 engraver and AutoCAD LT to mill plastic parts. This combination allows direct "printing" of parts in 2.5D (described below). I am looking to replicate this extremely simple functionality in a machine I am developing, but haven't found the right combination of features in commercially available software.

1. In AutoCAD LT, I create polylines and offset them for tool diameter.

2. Change each polyline's color to one of seven colors that will correspond to a cutting depth.

3. Select "plot" from the AutoCAD LT menu. With the EGX-300 as the default printer, Roland dialog boxes come up under "advanced plotter settings" for setting X/Y and Z feed rates and the rate of incrementing the Z-axis down per pass (I also set the Z-up position).

4. Hit "enter" and the milling process starts after I verify and okay the settings in dialog boxes that pop up for each color.

The Roland software installs as a printer and basically operates the same as an old pen plotter, but with a programmable Z-axis. The milling files have a .pc3 extension.

The ability to cut parts within a minute or two directly from the AutoCAD LT screen is critical--the pocketing, bit radius offset and other features in the commercial CAM packages are not important for this application. Saving files as dxf for generation of g-codes should not be necessary (and is unacceptable in this case); I'm thinking my Roland engraver might be using HPGL, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated!

Nelrodamus

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I create g-code directly from polylines in AutoCAD using a VBA macro, but unfortunately, LT doesn't have VBA support. If you can get access to a full version of AutoCAD, my macro would probably work for you.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Milling With DXF Files

Check out SuperCamXp, it works much like you describe the Roland software does.
    http://www.super-tech.com/root/itm.a...itm-supercamxp

It works with DXF, HPGL and Gcode files.

It comes with the USB CamPod so you do not need a Parallel port on your computer.
    http://www.super-tech.com/root/itm.asp?p1=itm-campod

Dennis
    www.super-tech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Ger 21 and Dennis!

I am in the early phase of an OEM development project that will provide engineers and technicians with the ability to make parts as directly as possible from AutoCAD LT. The parts fixturing and machining aspects of the process are perfected and remove the need for knowledge and skill in making parts.

The SuperCamXP is priced right and appears to have great capabilities--including the simplest draw-and-cut feature that I have seen. However, my overriding objective is to "print" (or "plot" as AutoCAD still calls it) directly from the AutoCAD screen (i.e. from a .dwg file). When the printer is selected from the menu of installed printers it's okay if the drawing appears in another application (as long as that program self-launches) for setting cutting depth based on color or, as is the case with Roland, simple dialog boxes pop up for each color.

Dennis, the 3-axis MUBX-K3 appears to fit my application. I have a few questions:

1. How much does the control box alone weigh?
    2. Can steppers be supplied with a single shaft?
    3. What is the OEM pricing structure?
    4. For a charge, can Super Tech create the functionality through AutoCAD LT that I'm looking for?

Thanks again,
    Nelrodamus