Techno-Isel Davinci upgrade help

Thread: Techno-Isel Davinci upgrade help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Techno-Isel Davinci upgrade help

Hey Guy's, Newbie here!
    I just picked up a hardly used 1996 Davinci tabletop router.
    It had PAL software that was DOS based. I couldn't move Z at the same time as X-Y. Besides who wants to type code line by line...not me! I had a hard time finding much info on this unit except to buy Mastercam which isn't in my budget.

I decided to bypass all of the electronics to use MACH-3 and g-code since it's the industry standard. I have several IMS 483 stepper drivers I scrapped from a work project. It looks like they take the same thing as Gecko's???
    5V opto supply
    step clock
    direction
    enable
    Motor power...etc.

Does this sound right to you experienced with Gecko's or am I missing something? The IMS 483's are going to provide stepper drive until I can afford Gecko's.

Now it sounds like I need a breakout board and was thinking of something ~ $100 US. What do you recommend parallel, Cat-5, USB and what brand have you had luck with? Help please. I'm brand new to CNC but not motion control in general.

This thing is built like a tank with cast aluminum uprights and aluminum extrusions. I really like the design, now I can't wait to make something cool after upgrading!

More questions to follow I'm sure of it.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Techno-Isel Davinci upgrade help-davinci-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Techno DaVinci Router

Hey, why don't you call a few local high schools or go to Techno Isel's website and see what you can find. I'm using a machine that looks identical to that in my classroom. Yes, I use EdgeCAM to generate the code, but there are plenty of more affordable code generators around. Techno Isel claims lifetime software support, so if you own the machine you should be able to get them to provide the software. I don't see why you'd want to replace the driver electronics or server motors--like you said it's built like a tank. It's nearly student proof.
    Or better yet, sell it to me! I'll put it in the back of my classroom alongside the one I already have and we'll have two running.
    Doug

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

C'mon you guys, just get Mastercam and you will love it. Price can't always been everything.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Techno-Isel Davinci upgrade help

We’re you able to upgrade to a new controller and use Mach3? I am trying to do the same. Any information you could provide me would be helpful.

Thank you

Rick McCaskill
    Rickm1947@aol.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RickMc View Post
    We’re you able to upgrade to a new controller and use Mach3? I am trying to do the same. Any information you could provide me would be helpful.

Thank you

Rick McCaskill
    Rickm1947@aol.com
    Rick, check my old thread. That thing is still
    Running at my former company. Routinely held 0.001" on aluminum parts. The IMS 483 stepper drives are bullet proof. It's still running XP and a parallel port breakout board. All you need to do is find the motor wires and run to new motor drive and limit switches and you're good!
    Ferny