Need Help! Single axis motion control?

Thread: Single axis motion control?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Single axis motion control?

I have a friend who purchased an older Hurco brake press. the machine was CNC controlled but the controls were from the early 80's and were removed at some point. The CNC worked by entering in a position, and the fence would move to the position.

He would like to get this feature back. All the mounts etc are there for the ballscrew, motor, etc.

So is there an single axis motion controller with an interface? What would be the easiest way to do this? I'm looking for suggestions on where to start.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Single axis motion control?

Hi,
    Are you looking to move and set the fence position via a CN pendant by jogging to that position, or have a g-code program run that moves the fence to the position, then say when a button is pressed, the fence moves to another position.

If you can describe how you want it to operate from a work flow point of view would help in understanding what you are after.
    Cheers

Peter.

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Single axis motion control?

Hi,
    I'm doing a retrofit for a mid 50's Cincinnatti guillotine at the moment. It has a numerically controlled backstop.

I've used Mach4, mainly because I use it myself and am so familiar with it. It was a simple task to make up a screen set for it, Mach4 has a very useful and complete GUI editor.

As it turns out I use a second channel to operate the 'engage mechanism' that causes the guillotine to cut, and yet another channel to put the 'engage mechanism' in park so
    that it suffers no wear while idle. Thus I have three servos to control. The backstop distance can be set by MDI, or keyboard jogging, or by MPG. As my customer is
    not computer literate he'll use the MPG in practice. The 'initiate cut' is a foot control or by MDI or by keyboard control. Again my customer will use the foot control
    in practice. The 'engage mechanism' is controlled by Mach4 at the direction of the 'initate cut' foot control. Easy.

Mach4Hobby costs $200USD and I use an Ethernet SmoothStepper for a motion controller at $195USD. I'm using two Homan designs MB02 breakout boards
    at $65AUD each.

Craig