Surface grinder CNC refit

Thread: Surface grinder CNC refit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Surface grinder CNC refit

Hi,

Not sure if this is the appropriate location to post this.
    I have a 6*16 Harig surface grinder that used to be fully automatic.
    When I got it the control box was gone.
    One axis is hydraulic and the other two still have the stepper motors.

I would like to create a new control system.
    I realize I need to gut most of the existing electrical gear.

I believe from the stepper drivers out to the stepper motors I am OK.

I am trying to figure out where to start.
    Do I start by picking a PLC then a HMI touch screen.
    What software would I need to program a touch screen and communicate to the PLC.
    I have a idea of the functionality that I need.

Would the C-more and Do-more units at Automation direct do what I need?
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Glen

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Surface grinder CNC refit

I have a DoAll of similar size sitting in my shop waiting for a CNC retrofit, also hydraulic, so I have a very good idea of what you want to do. I assume that grinder has a hand wheel for the X axis also, which would imply it has a rack & pinion on the table. I would remove the hydraulics and add a stepper drive for the X axis also, using the existing rack & pinion.

The Automation Direct stuff seems rather expensive for the application, and everything is on backorder. It looks like the DL205 with the H2-CTRIO motion module would drive the steppers. Interfacing with the touch screen panel is no problem using the Automation Direct provided software. I haven't programmed one of those in over 20 years so I don't know what the capabilities are today.

There is no really good off-the-shelf software solution for this application, I am just going to write my own and use a Galil motion controller as the brain and a mini PC as the user interface. It is possible to run a surface grinder with conventional G code, so something like Mach3 might be an option. Mach3 handles loops in the G code quiet well, needed for the step over / step down. On the other hand, purpose written software is the real answer to operating a surface grinder because they operate differently than any other machine tool.

You might also look at:
    Centroid https://www.centroidcnc.com/
    Dynomotion https://www.dynomotion.com/
    CamSoft PC Based CNC Controller For The Machine Tool CNC Retrofit And CNC Controller OEM market

But to your original question of where to start. Choosing the control system will come later. First take an inventory of what electrical hardware you have there now, figure out what you can reuse and what you need to buy. Write down the functionality you need, then figure out how you are going to achieve that goal. Create an electrical diagram of what you need to run. Download the user manuals from Automation Direct to see what you are getting into, their documentation is great. Look at the software suggestions above also, and download any available user manuals. The question you want to answer is: ''Can I make this work?'' Once you have done some research, then it's time to choose a control system.

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Surface grinder CNC refit

Jim,

Thank you for the reply
    You gave me lots to think about and research.

I agree with the inventory and detailed functionality list first.
    I have this mostly done, but was least concerned with this end as I am more comfortable with the electrical.

Have been going on the believe that learning the software for the controls will be the hardest. At least for me.
    Good thought on replacing the hydraulics with a motor. Yes it is a rack and pinion as you guessed.

I will spend sometime thinking about your suggestions.
    Will likely take you up on the offer to answer questions.

Thanks