Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires

Thread: Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires

On a stepper motor driver we have the high voltage section where we connect the required power and we also have the signal section where the wiring from the stepper motors connect.

I use shielded cables for both the high voltage and signal sections and my question is do I ground the shielded cable in both sections or just the high voltage or signal section?

Right now only the shielded cable ground wire from the high voltage section goes to my star point ground.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post
    On a stepper motor driver we have the high voltage section where we connect the required power and we also have the signal section where the wiring from the stepper motors connect.

I use shielded cables for both the high voltage and signal sections and my question is do I ground the shielded cable in both sections or just the high voltage or signal section?

Right now only the shielded cable ground wire from the high voltage section goes to my star point ground.

Thanks
    Any Ac Power Grounds are separate from Shield Grounding, and should never share the same connection points

For the shields to have any use at all they need to be clamped to the Ground Plane at Both Ends, Signal shielded wires in some cases can be Grounded (Clamped) at the source end, if you were to have any interference problems

A P-Clip is one of the best ways to clamp a Shield to the Ground Plane, this needs to be a tight clamp when fastened

Here are some snips of how it should be done

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires-ground-plane-png   Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires-grounding-shields-6-jpg   Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires-shield-clamp-png   Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires-shield-clamp-15-png  

Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires-emi-shield-grounding-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you mastec54,

I’m not aware what is “Ground Plane”, can you please explain?

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Reading about Ground Plane it’s get more confusing. So in my cnc control panel (about 20”x20”x 9”) I have the 4 stepper drivers, 3 PSU’s and a BOB along with ESS. If I get a piece of metal 3”3”x1/8” thick would that be considered a Ground Plane? If not, any suggestions?

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Reading about Ground Plane it’s get more confusing.
    Here is two definitive papers on grounding and bonding by Siemens.
    I have used these methods over the years with no kind of problems experienced.
    See the one on shield grounding that has changed when carrying out equi-potential bonding of the earth conductors.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires-cncgndsiemens-pdf   Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires-equi-potential_1-pdf  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Al for the information

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Reading about Ground Plane it’s get more confusing. So in my cnc control panel (about 20”x20”x 9”) I have the 4 stepper drivers, 3 PSU’s and a BOB along with ESS. If I get a piece of metal 3”3”x1/8” thick would that be considered a Ground Plane? If not, any suggestions?
    What is everything mounted on, this is normally a Metal Panel and unpainted wherever anything is mounted this must be paint free

The Ground Bus is attached to the Ground Plane, (Ground Bus is where all Grounds connect Star Ground) so in your cabinet the Ground Plane is the metal panel that everything is mounted on

Outside the Cabinet the machine is the Ground Plane, the machine and the Cabinet are Grounded Bonded together from the Ground Bus to the Machine

So, the Ground Plane can be any part of the machine or cabinet if correctly wired

If not done this way nothing would be safe to use

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Al for the information
    "Ground Plane" does not refer to a single physical entity, it is the electrical continuity of all the metallic parts of the machine that are at the same earth GND potential.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now it is all clear, many thanks to both

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks
    Yes. All shields terminated at one end only, your star point. If second end not connected no current can flow in the shield and induce currents in enclosed wires.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    Yes. All shields terminated at one end only, your star point. If second end not connected no current can flow in the shield and induce currents in enclosed wires.
    That used to be the original criteria for shielded cables, read Ch6 of the Siemens Motion Control I posted.
    With the original introduction of low voltage control systems, ground bonding of the machine was not carried out, consequentially it was found that grounding both ends of a shield caused ground loops to occur. imposing current in the shield.
    The problem is that although eliminating ground loops, the shield grounded at one end makes for a good antenna !!
    Now it is recommended that with equi-potential bonding, this eliminates any variation of ground voltages in the system, therefore allowing the ground bonding of both ends of the shield, as per the Siemens recommendation.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    No That is incorrect Shields need to terminate at Both Ends, in most cases, or they are become ineffective, these sips pretty much sums it up as to how Shields need to be Terminated

You must never terminate a shield direct to a Ground Bus (Star Ground Point)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires-shield-grounding-png   Grounding Stepper Motor Driver Wires-shield-termanation-3-png  
    Mactec54