How to Connect the light on a Switch

Thread: How to Connect the light on a Switch

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to Connect the light on a Switch

The attached picture shows couple switches for 12VDC I want to use and have these questions.

1. There are 3 terminals on each switch and one is brass colored. I will assume the RED wire which is the positive connects there or not?

2. How do I wire the switch to have the light ON?

3. The symbols on the switch button (circle and line) which one represent the ON position?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Connect the light on a Switch-switch-jpg  
    Nicolas

Community Moderator RaderSidetrack's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to Connect the light on a Switch

The 'line' symbol represents ON, and the circle symbol represents OFF.

As far as the switch terminals, the best way is to use a multimeter/voltmeter OHMs function to identify the two terminals that are connected when the 'line' symbol is in the depressed position. You don't really care what the exact ohms measurement is, when the multimeter probes are touching the correct pair of terminals, the ohms reading on the multimeter will be close to zero. You don't need a fancy or expensive multimeter (I recently bought a 'spare' for $10), but you should have one if you are working with electricity.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help, now I got clear the symbols on the switch

I do have a multimeter and have no problem connecting the switch but the middle terminal I will assume is to get the light on the switch ON and not sure which wire I will have to connect there, I will say the positive (RED). Can you please confirm?

If I do it wrong I may burn the light?

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

...those man- readable markings are 1 (one) for ON and a 0 (zero) for OFF. aka like a Computer Bit.

To make the internal Light work one of the Terminals is wired to Neutral or Negative (-) depending if, AC or DC Light/LED. Look close to see if the terminal are marked 123 most of the time Terminal 1 is Line power IN and Terminal 2 is the switched Load...Term 3 is negative IN

PSmake sure of the Voltage the Light Switch is rated for.
    good luck

Last edited by machinehop5; 06-01-2022 at 02:13 AM. Reason: 123

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...those man- readable markings are 1 (one) for ON and a 0 (zero) for OFF. aka like a Computer Bit.

To make the internal Light work one of the Terminals is wired to Neutral or Negative (-) depending if, AC or DC Light/LED. Look close to see if the terminal are marked 123 most of the time Terminal 1 is Line power IN and Terminal 2 is the switched Load...Term 3 is negative IN

PSmake sure of the Voltage the Light Switch is rated for.
    good luck
    The switch package was marked 12VDC. The terminals are not marked but one is brass color and the other 2 are silver color. Sory but still dont know how to wire the light. Will give it a try with a multimeter to see if I can figure it out. Thanks

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

...the Copper Terminal #1 is Line In or Positive (+) and Terminal # 3 is Negative.(-) Try just using a 9 Volt battery to turn on the light. Low voltage so, touching with fingers no problem. Terminal #2 is the for the Switched Load out.