Need Help! Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion

I have a SaleCNC.com XJ6090... Its a 3-axis vertical mill with about 2'x3' working area... woodworking machine mainly.
    It came with a NCstudio controller, everything works great... but now I need a 4th axis which the NCstudio card does not support.
    I'm adding a rotary axis for wood turning and must have true 4-axis control... cant just swap the X or Y axis with the rotary.
    Ncstudio uses its own PCI card, cable and breakout board, so either I need a new card or have to switch to the parallel port.

I'm going to change everything over to I guess Mach3 and use the parallel port, but Im open to other suggestions.
    I bought a breakout board... I believe it's good to use for Mach3 and thats what I could use some help with... the wiring and setup.

Controllers = (all 4) are 'Leadshine M542' microstep drivers.
    Spindle = SunFar E300-2S0022L
    Steppers = 57BYGH311-01 2 Phase Hybrid Stepping Motor
    Power Supply = GY400W-40-A

Attachments:
    The 'Mach Breakout Wiring' diagram is how i think it should be wired... but not sure.
    IMG 1497 is the new M542 driver and new Breakout Board I need to install.
    'NCSetupCardEng.jpg' is how the machine is currently wired.
    IMG 372 is a pic of the breakout board, controllers, power supply and spindle inverter in the CNC as it currently sits.

I'm a little confused on the power.
    There are 4 power connectors on the breakout board (VCC, VSS, GND, VDD)
    I assume the VCC is getting +5v from the parallel port which goes to DIR/PULSE positive?
    Or am I supposed to supply +5vdc to VCC from an external power supply and instead use the VDD for DIR/PULSE positive on the controllers?

I think I read somewhere that pin 1 & 14 are always on?
    My spindle is currently setup for 3 signal pins to trigger high/med/low speeds which are preset in the spindle controller.. am I using the right breakout board pins or is there a problem here?
    If I can change it over to 1 pin that can can send a PWM signal or w/e to the spindle to set any speed, that would be highly preferred.

Do I need to bridge the ground from the breakout board to the power supply ground?
    Since the power supply runs the motors and spindle, and the signal is received from the breakout board, they have different grounds so I need to bridge them?

When I install Mach3, it asks for the board speed... i.e. 100khz
    How do I decide which speed to use?

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting this converted!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion-mach-breakout-wiring-jpg   Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion-img_1497-jpg   Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion-ncsetupcardeng-jpg   Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion-img_0372-jpg  

Last edited by viroy; 05-07-2022 at 12:30 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion

You did not provide a great photo of the breakout board. Most of these parallel breakout board need a external power supply, Some require two supplies depending on their features. The 5V supply provides power to all the ICs on the breakout board. If it has a higher voltage supply as well that can be used for the spindle control or other functions. You need to docs for your breakout board to be sure. The typical wiring you show looks correct. Step and Direction to each drive, and then enable leads going to one of the output ports. The Mach3 speed defaults at 25Khz and that is all you can use if you do not have a license. The higher speeds work best on faster PCs and when you want to drive servo motors with high resolution encoders. If you are just driving stepper motors the default setting will work perfect. Some USB-MACH3 board come with 100Khz timing which supports servos much easier and no parallel port is required.

Downloads
    Uploads

Th optocouplers on those boards aren't very fast and it only works with 5v equipment ie: input switches.
    Keep it at 25khz.

Needs an external 5v power source and if your spindle needs 0-10v analog to control its speed, you need a pwm converter as well.

The generic 5 axis boards you see cheap everywhere are better.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    I have a SaleCNC.com XJ6090... Its a 3-axis vertical mill with about 2'x3' working area... woodworking machine mainly.
    It came with a NCstudio controller, everything works great... but now I need a 4th axis which the NCstudio card does not support.
    I'm adding a rotary axis for wood turning and must have true 4-axis control... cant just swap the X or Y axis with the rotary.
    Ncstudio uses its own PCI card, cable and breakout board, so either I need a new card or have to switch to the parallel port.

I'm going to change everything over to I guess Mach3 and use the parallel port, but Im open to other suggestions.
    I bought a breakout board... I believe it's good to use for Mach3 and thats what I could use some help with... the wiring and setup.

Controllers = (all 4) are 'Leadshine M542' microstep drivers.
    Spindle = SunFar E300-2S0022L
    Steppers = 57BYGH311-01 2 Phase Hybrid Stepping Motor
    Power Supply = GY400W-40-A

Attachments:
    The 'Mach Breakout Wiring' diagram is how i think it should be wired... but not sure.
    IMG 1497 is the new M542 driver and new Breakout Board I need to install.
    'NCSetupCardEng.jpg' is how the machine is currently wired.
    IMG 372 is a pic of the breakout board, controllers, power supply and spindle inverter in the CNC as it currently sits.

I'm a little confused on the power.
    There are 4 power connectors on the breakout board (VCC, VSS, GND, VDD)
    I assume the VCC is getting +5v from the parallel port which goes to DIR/PULSE positive?
    Or am I supposed to supply +5vdc to VCC from an external power supply and instead use the VDD for DIR/PULSE positive on the controllers?

I think I read somewhere that pin 1 & 14 are always on?
    My spindle is currently setup for 3 signal pins to trigger high/med/low speeds which are preset in the spindle controller.. am I using the right breakout board pins or is there a problem here?
    If I can change it over to 1 pin that can can send a PWM signal or w/e to the spindle to set any speed, that would be highly preferred.

Do I need to bridge the ground from the breakout board to the power supply ground?
    Since the power supply runs the motors and spindle, and the signal is received from the breakout board, they have different grounds so I need to bridge them?

When I install Mach3, it asks for the board speed... i.e. 100khz
    How do I decide which speed to use?

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting this converted!
    Most should be using 40Khz to 65Khz as most new computers run better in this range.

Looks like your Breakout Board does not have any PWM 0-10v Analog for spindle speed control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Most should be using 40Khz to 65Khz as most new computers run better in this range.

Looks like your Breakout Board does not have any PWM 0-10v Analog for spindle speed control

It hasn't. It's one of these:

I had one. Very basic and the optos are too slow.

Downloads
    Uploads

There's a wiring diagram download on this page:

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...breakout-board

Downloads
    Uploads

oh awesome find dazp!
    I dont remember when I bought this... at least 5 years ago and I couldnt find the documentation, plus the card has no ID markings at all.
    So it looks like it will work but without spindle PWM control?
    or are the opto-iso's too slow?

Downloads
    Uploads

oh awesome find dazp!
    I dont remember when I bought this... at least 5 years ago and I couldnt find the documentation, plus the card has no ID markings at all.
    So it looks like it will work but without spindle PWM control?
    or are the opto-iso's too slow?
    The opto's are fine for most users, you could add a PWM 0-10v Analog board to control the spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

So this card needs to be supplied with 5vdc to work? I was hoping it could get that from the parallel port.
    So like +5vdc goes to VCC from an external PSU, and the stepper drivers get power from VDD?
    I cannot find the datasheet for my power supply, can anyone help locate that? I cant tell if it has 5vdc because all the markings are in chinese.

I think I would rather just order a new card that can handle everything since they arent that expensive... most I see are in the $25-$40 range.
    Anyone have any suggestion on a specific card? there are many on ebay and online to choose from, would like to get one that someone can recommend from personal experience.

Downloads
    Uploads

So this card needs to be supplied with 5vdc to work? I was hoping it could get that from the parallel port.
    So like +5vdc goes to VCC from an external PSU, and the stepper drivers get power from VDD?
    I cannot find the datasheet for my power supply, can anyone help locate that? I cant tell if it has 5vdc because all the markings are in chinese.

I think I would rather just order a new card that can handle everything since they arent that expensive... most I see are in the $25-$40 range.
    Anyone have any suggestion on a specific card? there are many on ebay and online to choose from, would like to get one that someone can recommend from personal experience.
    All Breakout Boards need a supply Voltage some need (2) 5v and 12v /24v, parallel port 5v is not normally used it for this an old Phone charger works fine for this, or any 5v power supply, your stepper Drive power supply is 36v if the diagram you posted is correct.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion-phone-charger-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I traced out the 5v connector on the NCStudio card that I am going to replace... it is getting 5vdc from the NCStudio's PCI card.
    Does the parallel port also have a pin that supplies 5vdc power all the time? not just in/out signals, but true 5vdc power that can be used to power the opto-iso's on the new breakout card?
    Or is there no way around it... I must get an external 5vdc supply?

So am I correct on understanding this:
    The input side of the opto-iso's get power via the signal voltage supplied from the parallel port... but the output side of the opto-iso's require an external 5v source to give signal voltage to the motor controllers pulse/dir inputs?
    Unfortunately the breakout cards on ebay dont do a very good job of illustrating the wiring... but I have used opto-isos for other circuits and I believe they had to be powered like that.

I cant tell which pins I'm supposed to supply 5v to without hooking it up and using a voltmeter... is it VCC or VDD? I dont wanna accidentally try supplying 5vdc to a pin thats already getting 5vdc from the PC

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I traced out the 5v connector on the NCStudio card that I am going to replace... it is getting 5vdc from the NCStudio's PCI card.
    Does the parallel port also have a pin that supplies 5vdc power all the time? not just in/out signals, but true 5vdc power that can be used to power the opto-iso's on the new breakout card?
    Or is there no way around it... I must get an external 5vdc supply?

So am I correct on understanding this:
    The input side of the opto-iso's get power via the signal voltage supplied from the parallel port... but the output side of the opto-iso's require an external 5v source to give signal voltage to the motor controllers pulse/dir inputs?
    Unfortunately the breakout cards on ebay dont do a very good job of illustrating the wiring...
    No. Pport doesn't supply the 5v power. Only idc26 ports do via pin26. Supply is needed. You could cut up a USB cabe, use an extension from pc ps, or any other type of 5v. The more 5v devices are attached, the more Amp current you need. Pport gives about enough current just to run the board.

Regarding wiring.
    I gave you this already!.
    ADDRESS:
    https://www.automationtechnologiesin...breakout-board

Wiring diagram is below the image on the page in pdf download.
    ADDRESS:
    http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...ownload/14642/

Then a pwm-analog 0-10v converter module can be used with P1 pwm if wanting to control speed of a spindle drive.

What you do have to watch is that this board can be wired 2 ways. Active low or active high.
    The above wiring is active low where the output pins go to negative on drives and drive pos goes to vcc.
    High is when the +/-are swapped so the output pins go to the drive positives and negs go to gnd.
    That's why they can be confusing.

Common anode / common cathode, are the official names.

PWM to analog converter example to use with P1 and gnd. :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Voltage-Con.../dp/B07YHMHF78
    Easy to take 12v to power it from pc ps via molex extension.

Last edited by dazp1976; 05-09-2022 at 08:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

What does it mean by 'JN1 & JN2 must be inserted'?
    I understand those are jumpers, but I cant figure out what their difference of function is

Last edited by viroy; 05-09-2022 at 10:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I'm going to leave the NCStudio card in the PC and connected to its breakout card in the CNC, but disconnect the NCStudio breakout card from the motor controllers...
    Then splice the motor controller wires to the new breakout card and steal +5v from the NCStudio breakout card (that is no longer connected to the motor controllers but is getting 5vdc power from the PC card).
    This way I can use the new breakout card & Mach3 with help of 5vdc from NCStudio card, or reconnect the NCStudio breakout card anytime as I have a LOT of projects programmed for that... but hope to port them to Mach3... not sure what the Gcode diff is.
    I dont see any reason this wont work, what u guys think?
    Planning on doing the wiring today, hopefully a test cut too

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so here is the way I am planning on wiring, basically identical to the PDF file... except I think the spindle has to be grounded to the card like in this diagram, correct?
    Please let me know if I'm missing/dont need any connections on my diagram... I am going to use the 3 spindle inputs for preset speeds on pins 1, 16 & 17 rather than PWM/analog for now.

Still looking for a good card to buy... the really common square red breakout cards for sale on ebay are set for 24v.
    My power supply is showing 39v on the meter... so I'm guessing no go on that card

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion-mach-breakout-wiring2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so here is the way I am planning on wiring, basically identical to the PDF file... except I think the spindle has to be grounded to the card like in this diagram, correct?
    Please let me know if I'm missing/dont need any connections on my diagram... I am going to use the 3 spindle inputs for preset speeds on pins 1, 16 & 17 rather than PWM/analog for now.

Still looking for a good card to buy... the really common square red breakout cards for sale on ebay are set for 24v.
    My power supply is showing 39v on the meter... so I'm guessing no go on that card

That's a s**t way of doing it tbh.
    The usb cards are the worst cards on the planet. Parallel (for basic machines) or Ethernet (for more equipped mc) are all you should bother with.

Basically if things use different voltages you need different size of supplies.
    Most people have at least 3 supplies with a dm452 stepper drive based setups.
    5v, 12/24v, and 48v.
    48v gives the drives more oomph. 36v loses you some velocity. Yes you can cheat a liitle slicing off the pc or use buck / step up / step down converters etc.

Unless it's a China bought router with a single 24v which are somewhat lacking.

You need to do some more reading and research before you get into doing this change. If you're not really electrically minded or can't read a wiring diagram, do not bother.

Downloads
    Uploads

What does it mean by 'JN1 & JN2 must be inserted'?
    I understand those are jumpers, but I cant figure out what their difference of function is

If you want to use a 10v supply in vdd/GND pins. JP separate the 10v from the 5v of pport and put the 10v into the optos.
    It's a pointless gimmick.
    P1 is still only pwm, and drive inputs are still only 5v so you need piss about with resistors depending how it's all wired in.
    The only advantage is on the inputs, higher V = more reliable sensors.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    If you want to use a 10v supply in vdd/GND pins. JP separate the 10v from the 5v of pport and put the 10v into the optos.
    It's a pointless gimmick.
    P1 is still only pwm, and drive inputs are still only 5v so you need piss about with resistors depending how it's all wired in.
    Does P1 output a PWM signal??

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    The Optos only need the 5v supply the Board is asking for, this supply has nothing to do with the sensor voltage requirement.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Does P1 output a PWM signal??

It's supposed to yes. Needs one of those little pwm to 0-10v converter modules if you want analog speed. Or use s/d on the Spindle instead but limited with KHz freq.

I never tried my board, still have 2 lying around somewhere. I used the 5 axis type with analog built in instead.

Evolved a bit since then. I love this uc300eth, it's amazing how smooth everything is when you get a decent controller, and use a good drive voltage.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast