Need Help! Yaskawa vector drive wiring question

Thread: Yaskawa vector drive wiring question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Yaskawa vector drive wiring question

I am doing a change over on my Laguna SmartShop 2 from B&R control to PC based. I am looking at the vector drives for my Vacuum pumps and have a question about their wiring. The nameplate on the vector drive indicates they are three phase. But the wiring coming into my machine is single phase and the L2 is looped back up to the L3 to feed the third phase, which is confusing me. I have removed the L3 on the vector drive and the pump still runs.

The machine was bought as a single phase unit in 2017 and I have owned it since new.

I have been running the machine for several years with the looped 3rd phase but I do trip breakers in the summer when the pumps overheat because I am running the entire machine on one circuit. I would like to put the vector drives and pumps on their own circuit and use relays to control them and an amperage sensor to sense if they are on or off to stop a program running if they go off.

My question is, can I run the vector drives on a single phase by removing L3? It seems to work, and I don't have true three phase power anyway.

The machine was bought as a single phase unit in 2017 and I have owned it since new.

In the line drawing on the last picture the motor is actual the vector drive going to the motor.

Thanks for any help.

Matt
    Yaskawa vector drive wiring question-sc1-pngYaskawa vector drive wiring question-sc2-png

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by rosco; 01-09-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Yaskawa vector drive wiring question

Quote Originally Posted by rosco View Post
    I am doing a change over on my Laguna SmartShop 2 from B&R control to PC based. I am looking at the vector drives for my Vacuum pumps and have a question about their wiring. The nameplate on the vector drive indicates they are three phase. But the wiring coming into my machine is single phase and the L2 is looped back up to the L3 to feed the third phase, which is confusing me. I have removed the L3 on the vector drive and the pump still runs.

I have been running the machine for several years with the looped 3rd phase but I do trip breakers in the summer when the pumps overheat because I am running the entire machine on one circuit. I would like to put the vector drives and pumps on their own circuit and use relays to control them and an amperage sensor to sense if they are on or off to stop a program running if they go off.

My question is, can I run the vector drives on a single phase by removing L3? It seems to work, and I don't have true three phase power anyway.

In the line drawing on the last picture the motor is actual the vector drive going to the motor.

Thanks for any help.

Matt
    Yaskawa vector drive wiring question-sc1-pngYaskawa vector drive wiring question-sc2-png
    Yes, they had it wired incorrect, but where on the right track

L1 (R) & L2 (S) should be the main connection for that VFD Drive but you should have a Jumper from L1 to L3 (T), this can cause a fault if not done this way, on some of these 3Ph VFD Drives as they have a Phase missing protection. this also helps with a little better VFD Drive performance as well. (This is only for the input AC Power to the VFD Drive)

Need to Know more of what the VFD Drive is connected too, do you have a switch between the Drive output and the motor

Mactec54