Need Help! UCCNC Wiring Diagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UCCNC Wiring Diagram

Default UCCNC Wiring Diagram

Hello all,

Ive roughly drawn up a wiring diagram for my control cabinet. I am not the greatest at electronics.

Can anyone have a look over my wiring diagram and let me know if all looks good or i need to change anything. Any help welcomed.

The parts i will be using encase you cant see in the picture.

Software: UCCNC
    Motion Controller: UC400ETH
    Breakout Board: UCSB
    50VAC 800W Toroidal Transformer
    Stepper Drivers: HBS86H
    Stepper Motors: 86HSM86-E1
    VFD: Huanyang HY02D223B

I have added a larger resolution picture in the .rar file.

This will also be checked by one of my sparky mates before turning on. Just wanted to make sure i am on the right path.

Cheers!
    Rohan

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCCNC Wiring Diagram-untitled-10-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UCCNC Wiring Diagram

Homing switches:

I see you have them all in parallel into I10.
    First off. Are they all Normally open switches?
    Normally open go in parallel, normally closed go in series.
    Secondly. How will the machine know whether it's homed x, y, or z?. It won't be able to determine which is which with them into only 1 input.

Not convinced on the estop either.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiEngineer View Post
    Hello all,

Ive roughly drawn up a wiring diagram for my control cabinet. I am not the greatest at electronics.

Can anyone have a look over my wiring diagram and let me know if all looks good or i need to change anything. Any help welcomed.

The parts i will be using encase you cant see in the picture.

Software: UCCNC
    Motion Controller: UC400ETH
    Breakout Board: UCSB
    50VAC 800W Toroidal Transformer
    Stepper Drivers: HBS86H
    Stepper Motors: 86HSM86-E1
    VFD: Huanyang HY02D223B

I have added a larger resolution picture in the .rar file.

This will also be checked by one of my sparky mates before turning on. Just wanted to make sure i am on the right path.

Cheers!
    Rohan
    What Spindle are you using 10A CB for the VFD Drive ???

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Homing switches:

I see you have them all in parallel into I10.
    First off. Are they all Normally open switches?
    Normally open go in parallel, normally closed go in series.
    Secondly. How will the machine know whether it's homed x, y, or z?. It won't be able to determine which is which with them into only 1 input.

Not convinced on the estop either.
    Not Ideal but can be done Homing and limits can use ( 1 ) input if they want to, each axis has to be sent home ( 1 ) at a time

Home Switches of Multiple Axes Connected Together

If you are really short of inputs to Mach3, then you can OR the Home switches together and define all
    Home inputs to be that signal. In this case you can reference only a single axis at a time -– so you
    should remove REF All buttons from your screens – and your Home switches must all be at the end of
    travel on their respective axes.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Not Ideal but can be done Homing and limits can use ( 1 ) input if they want to, each axis has to be sent home ( 1 ) at a time

Home Switches of Multiple Axes Connected Together

If you are really short of inputs to Mach3, then you can OR the Home switches together and define all
    Home inputs to be that signal. In this case you can reference only a single axis at a time -– so you
    should remove REF All buttons from your screens – and your Home switches must all be at the end of
    travel on their respective axes.
    Yes but....
    The UC400 has 10 inputs over 2 ports.
    UCSB has 5 inputs on 1 port.

What's the point?.

Just add a cheap bob to port 2 of the UC400 and have all 10 inputs available.

Dazp1976,

The homing switches are currently NO but i am thinking about having them NC and running them in series encase their is a fault in the picked up in future. I have chosen to run them to the single input because i will be homing axis one at a time. The Z axis first for safety reasons then the rest after. I do have a second UCSB encase i needed it, but this is for a separate project.

Mactec54,

This system is for my RF-45 cnc conversion btw. (My other project is on hold for now) The motor is still to be decided . Maybe you could share a little light if this would work. I plan to use a 3hp 4 pole 3 phase AC Induction motor and run it at 120Hz so hopefully should get around 3000rpm. I understand the bearings are probably not rated to for this speed. Do you see this being a problem? Could i upgrade the bearings? This would be a belt driven btw.

Cheers,
    Rohan

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you considered a 2-pole induction motor? That would give you your 3000 rpm at 60 hertz and the bearings would already be rated for the higher rpm. You could probably get this motor up to 4500rpm at 90 hz with no problems.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dazp1976,

The homing switches are currently NO but i am thinking about having them NC and running them in series encase their is a fault in the picked up in future. I have chosen to run them to the single input because i will be homing axis one at a time. The Z axis first for safety reasons then the rest after. I do have a second UCSB encase i needed it, but this is for a separate project.

Mactec54,

This system is for my RF-45 cnc conversion btw. (My other project is on hold for now) The motor is still to be decided . Maybe you could share a little light if this would work. I plan to use a 3hp 4 pole 3 phase AC Induction motor and run it at 120Hz so hopefully should get around 3000rpm. I understand the bearings are probably not rated to for this speed. Do you see this being a problem? Could i upgrade the bearings? This would be a belt driven btw.

Cheers,
    Rohan
    No problem at all the standard motor bearings are most likely good to 10,000 RPM, so what ever the motor amp rating is there will be a little more than double at the VFD Drive input so figure around 20A to 25A at the VFD Drive Input Power supply

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

KiwiEngineer

With your 50hz 100Hz would be your max, so look for a washdown pump motor most are rated much higher RPM

Mactec54

Maybe a 2 pole induction motor would be better suited so i dont need such a large VFD.

Mactec54,

If i run a motor at twice the rated frequency will this also double the rated current draw of the motor?

Cheers,
    Rohan

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe a 2 pole induction motor would be better suited so i dont need such a large VFD.

Mactec54,

If i run a motor at twice the rated frequency will this also double the rated current draw of the motor?

Cheers,
    Rohan
    No the normal regular Ac 3 Ph motor has max torque at it's rated 50Hz or 60Hz when going above the rated frequency the current will drop as does the torque, and the volts per Hz ratio, going in the other direction below the rated frequency the current draw will get higher and over heat the motor if taken to low, and sometimes burn the windings is common outcome

A 2 pole 3 Hp motor will have / use the same size VFD Drive as a 4 Pole 3hp motor

The important thing when you want to over speed a regular Ac 3Ph motor is the Balance not the Bearings, most Ac motors are balanced to around 5% over there rated speed at 50Hz or 60Hz so need balancing when going to higher speeds, that is why I said the washdown motors as some are rated for up to 6,000 RPM

Mactec54

No problem at all the standard motor bearings are most likely good to 10,000 RPM, so what ever the motor amp rating is there will be a little more than double at the VFD Drive input so figure around 20A to 25A at the VFD Drive Input Power supply
    Hi Mactec54, Can you explain this a little for me? If i plan to use a 2.2KW 10A VFD with a 2 Pole 3Hp 3Ph with full load amps of 10A . Why would i need to double the drive input amperage? The VFD can only draw 10A?

Sorry a little confused haha.

Cheers,
    Rohan

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec54, Can you explain this a little for me? If i plan to use a 2.2KW 10A VFD with a 2 Pole 3Hp 3Ph with full load amps of 10A . Why would i need to double the drive input amperage? The VFD can only draw 10A?

Sorry a little confused haha.

Cheers,
    Rohan
    You are using single phase to 3 phase right there this tells you that there is a difference it is not 1:1 it is 1.73 :1 x the safety factor and you will have the input Amp requirements, some VFD Drive manufacturers already have this worked out for you like the snip below so the Breaker for this VFD Drive using a 2.2Kw motor would use a 25A Breaker for single phase use

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCCNC Wiring Diagram-capturevfd-drive-specs-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Dazp1976,

Cheers,
    Rohan
    If you only need I/O on port 2 for switching things or sensor inputs I wouldn't waste the 2nd UCSB on it.
    A simple £5-10 bob would suffice.

You could always condense inputs down further using isolator modules if needed. Such as putting 2 limit switches per axis into an isolator - daisy chaining the 2 outputs into 1 - putting the 1 output into the corresponding bob input.
    Some people prefer switches that trigger at each axis end, others prefer to have the 2 switches linked for 1 trigger.
    It's all dependent on available inputs.

Then you branch out to proper servo's with multiple fault and encoder outputs. That's when it starts to go over your head.

Last edited by dazp1976; 09-01-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are using single phase to 3 phase right there this tells you that there is a difference it is not 1:1 it is 1.73 :1 x the safety factor and you will have the input Amp requirements, some VFD Drive manufacturers already have this worked out for you like the snip below so the Breaker for this VFD Drive using a 2.2Kw motor would use a 25A Breaker for single phase use
    This is why when you look at small commercial machines or other single phase equipment it only goes to a certain KW level. Then it's all 3 phase after that.
    That's physics for you.

The likes of Tormach played it way too safe on the MX though stopping at a 1.49kw servo spindle. Uses a 20A breaker - single phase, a little baffling.
    I've seen a few who are disappointed. They put too much rpm on it and lost too much torque at the spindle nose.

I'm planting a 1.8kw servo on my mill conversion with spindle max of >6000rpm. Single phase use requires 30A. 3 phase use would be half that. System could prob amp burst to 50A on single so 2.2kw is prob on the borderline of max for me.

Last edited by dazp1976; 09-01-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks again Mactec54!

So much to learn about this stuff haha. Sounds like i may be going slightly over kill with my motor choice. The mill currently has a 1.5HP single phase motor and it was trash. Since i dont plan to be running any super large facemills and would ideally like to reach a top speed of around 5k rpm. Maybe i should be looking around the 2 pole 2hp motor size.

Thanks heaps also Dazp1976!

I dont think ill need to use a second breakout board at this stage. The second board was there for if i was going to make a 4th axis. I think for now ill put my limit/homing switches in series and get some NC switches and leave it like that for now, as this was how it was in a machine my friend had and seemed to work good.

What servo are you going to use on your mill?

Rohan

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again Mactec54!
    Thanks heaps also Dazp1976!
    I dont think ill need to use a second breakout board at this stage. The second board was there for if i was going to make a 4th axis. I think for now ill put my limit/homing switches in series and get some NC switches and leave it like that for now, as this was how it was in a machine my friend had and seemed to work good.
    What servo are you going to use on your mill?
    Rohan
    NC is a good choice of switch. Cable breaks can be seen by controller.
    Servo- Lichuan A4 drive & 1.8kw motor combo.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is why when you look at small commercial machines or other single phase equipment it only goes to a certain KW level. Then it's all 3 phase after that.
    That's physics for you.

The likes of Tormach played it way too safe on the MX though stopping at a 1.49kw servo spindle. Uses a 20A breaker - single phase, a little baffling.
    I've seen a few who are disappointed. They put too much rpm on it and lost too much torque at the spindle nose.

I'm planting a 1.8kw servo on my mill conversion with spindle max of >6000rpm. Single phase use requires 30A. 3 phase use would be half that. System could prob amp burst to 50A on single so 2.2kw is prob on the borderline of max for me.
    Not quite correct there are many CNC machine that are 3Phase 7Hp to 10Hp max that can run on single phase Haas Mini Mill and Mini Mill2 are 3phase machines and have no problems running on single phase

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Not quite correct there are many CNC machine that are 3Phase 7Hp to 10Hp max that can run on single phase Haas Mini Mill and Mini Mill2 are 3phase machines and have no problems running on single phase

Interesting about the Haas mini 2.
    How much power do you lose overall, and what size breaker would it require?.
    My 220V service entry in is on a 80A fuse, and the highest breaker I can get locally looks to be 50A.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting about the Haas mini 2.
    How much power do you lose overall, and what size breaker would it require?.
    My 220V service entry in is on a 80A fuse, and the highest breaker I can get locally looks to be 50A.
    60A is all that is needed for any of the small Haas machines, what do you loose, Nothing is lost, they perform just the same on single phase or 3 phase

I have 240v 400A service entry for my house and could have more, or as much as I need, most in the USA have 240v 200A in all new home buildings

Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast