Need Help! UCCNC Wiring Diagram - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UCCNC Wiring Diagram

Default Re: UCCNC Wiring Diagram

So i was just looking at Lichuan ac servo drives and they seem interesting! It would will be around $300 NZD more to go down this path then to buy a VDF and a ****ty old ac induction motor. What sort of benefits would this give me over the induction motor? Would it be worth it? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...64936f59z4SX5m or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...64936f59z4SX5m

Is there a good/safe way to wire in a emergency stop using a relay? I’ve noticed most emergency stops arnt rated for very high current and i imagine my system will be around 40A.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiEngineer View Post
    Is there a good/safe way to wire in a emergency stop using a relay? I’ve noticed most emergency stops arnt rated for very high current and i imagine my system will be around 40A.

Usually:
    Wire it into your 24v circuit for the controller. Wired in a series loop with your input going via a contactor for spindle drive (motor power line) and ac relays attached to mcb's in case one trips. Things like that.
    Can also attach this series line to the inputs of 24v relays to shut off any other equipment in the process, such as the stepper enable lines (Generally on 5v bob outputs).

Or

Series wire one via a ssr relay for each power supply and a contactor for the spindle to kill nearly all power (except to low voltage controller parts). Add another relay in the line just for stop input (and servo control if applicable) so the controller(s) knows it's killed.

There's lots of diagrams around on the web. There is so much different equipment available out there so there isn't a one fits all approach. You kinda pluck bits from each one here and there and tailor it to your needs.

Last edited by dazp1976; 09-04-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

EStop circuits are normally only low voltage Dc from 5v to 24v most are 24v which is best

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    EStop circuits are normally only low voltage Dc from 5v to 24v most are 24v which is best

It is my understanding that 24v is best because lower voltage than that is more suseptable to noise. Correct?.
    I'll be doing my safety circuits next week, so helping me there too.

I think i understand. But if i simply ran the emergency stop on the output of the 24v power supply would that work? This would also turn off pretty much the entire system even the relay to the spindle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCCNC Wiring Diagram-241405359_2954258004833852_386843802627473093_n-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I think i understand. But if i simply ran the emergency stop on the output of the 24v power supply would that work? This would also turn off pretty much the entire system even the relay to the spindle.
    Now. Some would say yes the way you suggested and others would say no.
    I'd say no. Seems too simple and it kills power to the controller too which I say isn't ideal.

You kind of do it this way in a series link:
    So. Say your + of the 24v psu is in I10+ (this will be the start of the circuit), then I10- would go out to estop p1 - estop p2 would go out to relay +ve - relay -ve would go to 24v psu -ve. unless there are more relays then you just keep linking them +-+-+- before going back to psu -ve.

This is called - sinking to gnd. Or sinking logic.

You have now created a circuit where the power (high) goes into your input isolator and flows out through a daisy chain on the (low) side back to ground.
    Now if we have power flow through this circuit and there is any interuption it will cut them all and isolator will tell the controller 'the voltage has gone' and trigger a software 'fault'.

The above applies to a NC circuit when series wiring.
    If circuit is NO then it would all be done in parallel.
    (NC is safer).

Also: One of the biggest problems with a 'simple' setup is... Yes it will cut the power if you hit the estop but... If you have say a spindle jam resulting in it stalling, the controller won't 'see' it and the steppers will continue. This can result in a messy or expensive (or both) situation. Been there.

With me stepping up to a servo spindle I'm putting in 2 safety circuits. The estop will be attached to power and enable lines via a fair few relays (so for instance if servo isn't enabled the system cannot be reset). If any of my MCB's trip it will also stop
    Then there'll be a circuit attached to 'feed hold' unsure as to which overall compoonents will go on this but mainly for servo 'zero speed detection'. If it doesn't spin up at the start of a gcode, the system will hold the code at that point.

Over the couple of newbie years learning bits and bobs on the forums, the thing that sticks most is 'don't rely on the software alone to stop the machine'. Basically this means don't just stick a stop switch on a controller input and call it done.

Last edited by dazp1976; 09-05-2021 at 07:10 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

You have 24v and a Relay going to VI and ACM connection this can not be there as this is a 0-10v analog speed control circuit

FOR / DCM is a switched circuit but has no voltage to switch this circuit, so this Relay only has power on ( 1 ) side and just a switch for FOR / DCM on the other side

Mactec54

Ello again,

Dazp1976, Thanks for all the info! I have to admit i am truly lost haha. Definitely need to watch a few more videos on sinking.

How can i put the relays in series when they are connected to different outputs on my board? Do i need relays for my relays? Ive had another crack at something different but im not sure if correct. I will also need to add a contactor for my spindle?

Mactec54, Thanks for that! Does this look better?

Cheers!
    Rohan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCCNC Wiring Diagram-241485727_433678444695728_7223898482281938186_n-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ello again,

Dazp1976, Thanks for all the info! I have to admit i am truly lost haha. Definitely need to watch a few more videos on sinking.
    How can i put the relays in series when they are connected to different outputs on my board? Do i need relays for my relays? Ive had another crack at something different but im not sure if correct. I will also need to add a contactor for my spindle? [/QUOTE]

I think you are not the only one that would be lost with that post

Mactec54, Thanks for that! Does this look better?
    Yes that looks better

Here is a snippet of all you need to know about sinking for your build, and where it applies and is used

Attached Files Attached Files
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you are not the only one that would be lost with that post
    I'm thinking more along the lines of the machine self monitoring. Mine is still a work in progress too.
    Anyone can wire these machines to stop a program and a spindle with a button.

For a start. I've ended up with 4 mcb's and a contactor. These are attached to safety relays which have their 'outputs' in series and will shut machine down if one trips. This series link carries on through 'servo ready' via relay so also shuts down if servo goes off. All NC on the low line.
    Carries on to the estop - back through contactor coil - through stepper enable - through bob input completing the circuit.
    I'll have to get one drawn up and get your approval / disapproval.

These kind of things below. Prob a bit ott for a garage hobbyist.

UCCNC Wiring Diagram-cnc-safety-circuit-rev5-5-jpg

UCCNC Wiring Diagram-cnc-safety-wiring-diagram-jpg

I've had a machine continue running after the spindle stalled. It effectively wrote the machine off.
    Don't want to make the same mistake again.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCCNC Wiring Diagram-cnc-safety-circuit-rev5-5-jpg   UCCNC Wiring Diagram-cnc-safety-wiring-diagram-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post

I've had a machine continue running after the spindle stalled. It effectively wrote the machine off.
    Don't want to make the same mistake again.
    In a normal machine if the spindle stalls, to overload, the drives will fault also, with the over loading from the tool stuck in the work, ( 2 ) things normally happen the tool will break, or the drives will fault machine stops

Stalling a Spindle does not always shut down your machine unless it faults, they can stall and the machine can still run so unless you have the VFD Drive setup correct no amount of safety circuit is going to help you

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

In a normal machine if the spindle stalls, to overload, the drives will fault also, with the over loading from the tool stuck in the work, ( 2 ) things normally happen the tool will break, or the drives will fault machine stops
    Stalling a Spindle does not always shut down your machine unless it faults, they can stall and the machine can still run so unless you have the VFD Drive setup correct no amount of safety circuit is going to help you
    One reason why I decided to retrofit a servo package to the newer mill. Because of the safety features they come with. Yes you have to wire it correctly. (It's still only a manual mill conversion though).
    Steering away from the cheap bob's on this one.

The stuff in the new control box when it's fully finished, will prob come in around the cost of the initial machine.
    It's not quite how I envisaged it. You don't realise how big some of the electronics are until you start fitting it up.
    Needed a bigger box. Mainly the inputs and safety circuits left to install along with contactor and control line filter. I see a couple of things that need changing as it is.

UCCNC Wiring Diagram-control-box-2-jpg

UCCNC Wiring Diagram-control-box-1-jpg

Had to stack the UC300 above UCBB. Need to address the power supplies later on but cannot afford to change drives atm.
    As I've added over the years I've ended up with 80V, 60V, 36V, 24V & 5V for various drives / controls. There's 6 axis + servo drive in there.
    I still have another UCBB and some isolation boards for channels 3,4 & 5 for a later date. Likey be on a raised plate.

Ideal situation is servo's on X, Y, Z + spindle, with A, B, C, on a single 60V.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCCNC Wiring Diagram-control-box-1-jpg   UCCNC Wiring Diagram-control-box-2-jpg  
    Last edited by dazp1976; 09-07-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Gidday Yall,

So got a bit more progress now. I feel like my safety circuit is looking better. (added a contactor to my mains VFD and Stepper power lines). I have also added a green light in series after my e-stop so i can tell whats going on a little.

How do my limit switches/homing switches look? Im thinking of ordering them so i can mount them. These are the buggers. https://www.digikey.co.nz/en/product...3KsNvfdniyDhww

Cheers!

Rohan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCCNC Wiring Diagram-gl-45-jpg   UCCNC Wiring Diagram-241670920_232152362193071_1281726477953357449_n-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Gidday Yall,

So got a bit more progress now. I feel like my safety circuit is looking better. (added a contactor to my mains VFD and Stepper power lines). I have also added a green light in series after my e-stop so i can tell whats going on a little.

How do my limit switches/homing switches look? Im thinking of ordering them so i can mount them. These are the buggers. https://www.digikey.co.nz/en/product...3KsNvfdniyDhww

Cheers!

Rohan
    Depends on how your wiring is PNP is ok but most use NPN, so figure how your wiring is going to be for this, and most you will be wiring direct to the Breakout board so no need to have a plug on the prox. cable

Depending on your VFD Drive and how it can be programed cutting the main power can damage the motor, if your motor is low frequency low speed, then there is no problem in cutting the main power to the VFD Drive

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12