Need Help! Need 2nd opinion on Wiring diagram.. proximity - isolation - lpt.

Thread: Need 2nd opinion on Wiring diagram.. proximity - isolation - lpt.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need 2nd opinion on Wiring diagram.. proximity - isolation - lpt.

Hello fellow members.
    Just want to get a 2nd opinion on this wiring diagram below.
    12 proximity sensors going into a 12 channel isolation board at 24v.
    Then going out of the isolation board at 5v.
    Then going from board directly into an input based LPT port of my cnc controller.

Sensors: NPN, NC, operating at 24v.
    Isolator board designed for 24v/in & 5v/out.
    LPT is port 5 of a UC300eth controller running at 5v.

Diagram:
    Need 2nd opinion on Wiring diagram.. proximity - isolation - lpt.-wiring-12-channel-opto1024_1-jpg

Yes it would be easier to get a bi-directional bob for it but we're talking about the u.k. here.
    You can't get Jack.
    (Anyway. The multi isolator boards look neater and are easier to get)

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need 2nd opinion on Wiring diagram.. proximity - isolation - lpt.-wiring-12-channel-opto1024_1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need 2nd opinion on Wiring diagram.. proximity - isolation - lpt.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Hello fellow members.
    Just want to get a 2nd opinion on this wiring diagram below.
    12 proximity sensors going into a 12 channel isolation board at 24v.
    Then going out of the isolation board at 5v.
    Then going from board directly into an input based LPT port of my cnc controller.

Sensors: NPN, NC, operating at 24v.
    Isolator board designed for 24v/in & 5v/out.
    LPT is port 5 of a UC300eth controller running at 5v.

Diagram:
    Need 2nd opinion on Wiring diagram.. proximity - isolation - lpt.-wiring-12-channel-opto1024_1-jpg

Yes it would be easier to get a bi-directional bob for it but we're talking about the u.k. here.
    You can't get Jack.
    (Anyway. The multi isolator boards look neater and are easier to get)
    Your schematic is correct. You should label port "i/o port 5" instead of LPT as it is internally configured as an i/o port and not a printer port. Without knowing that, it can be confusing to the reader.

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the purpose of the diodes in series with the pull-up resistors?

Why do the outputs of the proximity sensors even need pull-ups? They have open collector outputs; a pull-up resistor would only make the transistor work harder.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    What is the purpose of the diodes in series with the pull-up resistors?

Why do the outputs of the proximity sensors even need pull-ups? They have open collector outputs; a pull-up resistor would only make the transistor work harder.

They're just generic boards I got.
    The open collector side diode lights to show whether power is present to the isolator diode (active) or not (switch tripped).
    Pull up diode lights to show the active isolators collector is sending fault to the ttl i/o input.

Helps with fault diagnosis for one thing. If open collector lights up but pull up doesn't, this shows there's a fault either with i/o input or isolator itself.
    This can prevent you doing machine damage I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, I did not realize those were light emitting diodes. Makes sense now.

Downloads
    Uploads

dazp1976 could you please, give a brief description of your project: servo, stepper, closed/open loop, amplifier, motors, tool, special purpose, new, retrofit etc. I am curious as to the performance you get from this controller.

20 years ago, a friend of mine purchased a low cost control package for a lathe. It turned out to be a complete piece of junk. The control could not properly interpolate linear or circular, and the motors (stepper) were rough and weak, the control software HMI was unalterable and too cumbersome for real shop work. I hope things have improved since then and that this is a well thought out control. My suspicions is that UC300eth it is just a pc on a chip using software to drive step and direction thru one of the LPT ports.

I used Indexer LPT software to retrofit a VMC and was happy with the results. Not trying to plug any product but to make you aware of possibilities.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Camdo2 View Post
    dazp1976 could you please, give a brief description of your project: servo, stepper, closed/open loop, amplifier, motors, tool, special purpose, new, retrofit etc. I am curious as to the performance you get from this controller.

20 years ago, a friend of mine purchased a low cost control package for a lathe. It turned out to be a complete piece of junk. The control could not properly interpolate linear or circular, and the motors (stepper) were rough and weak, the control software HMI was unalterable and too cumbersome for real shop work. I hope things have improved since then and that this is a well thought out control. My suspicions is that UC300eth it is just a pc on a chip using software to drive step and direction thru one of the LPT ports.

I used Indexer LPT software to retrofit a VMC and was happy with the results. Not trying to plug any product but to make you aware of possibilities.

Well. You'll probarbly say it's a stupid idea but....
    UCCNC & Mach3, limitation is 6 axis + spindle.
    So I'm looking at the option of a 12 tool carousel changer project without having to lose an axis to run it.

Using analoge 0-10v output #2 to spin the carousel motor and one of the 12 sensors for each tool.
    Output#2 spins it and stops when it triggers a sensor for a particular tool, and so on.
    Yes it's likely I can only spin in one direction using the analoge, so going from tool #1 to tool#12 will take more time.

I could look into other softwares that run more than 6 axis but the costs go up a bit.
    It's just to see if it'll work tbf. And it is a distant future away.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Camdo2 View Post
    Your schematic is correct. You should label port "i/o port 5" instead of LPT as it is internally configured as an i/o port and not a printer port. Without knowing that, it can be confusing to the reader.
    Finally got round to testing the schematic in practice. It works, happy with that.
    Connected 8 sensors to a 12 channel isolator module inputs, connected it's outputs to LPT input port #pins 2-9.
    All sensors triggered in uccnc diagnostics page and activate the reset when setup as limit switches and detect a metal surface.
    So now I shall use the high speed UCBB breakout on ports #1&2 input/output for axis control and spindle pul/dir option.
    Generic breakout on port #3 output for spindle switches and coolant controls.
    Analog port works great for spindle 0-10v option.
    Then a few of the cheap isolation boards as per the schematic on ports #4&5 input for sensors for future ATC, drawbar, tool related items etc.
    This means I can save my second UCBB as a spare part.

I now have a couple more boards on order of 5v to 24v for trying out on the 4 outputs of the input ports #4&5 for switching relays and solenoids.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=467378&d=1627327666

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Finally got round to testing the schematic in practice. It works, happy with that.
    Connected 8 sensors to a 12 channel isolator module inputs, connected it's outputs to LPT input port #pins 2-9.
    All sensors triggered in uccnc diagnostics page and activate the reset when setup as limit switches and detect a metal surface.
    So now I shall use the high speed UCBB breakout on ports #1&2 input/output for axis control and spindle pul/dir option.
    Generic breakout on port #3 output for spindle switches and coolant controls.
    Analog port works great for spindle 0-10v option.
    Then a few of the cheap isolation boards as per the schematic on ports #4&5 input for sensors for future ATC, drawbar, tool related items etc.
    This means I can save my second UCBB as a spare part.

I now have a couple more boards on order of 5v to 24v for trying out on the 4 outputs of the input ports #4&5 for switching relays and solenoids.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/attac...8&d=1627327666
    The isolator module tested was 24vin , 5vout npn output version of this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...21ef1802ufLtgy

Wired exactly as per diagram in post #1.