Need Help! Convert 120v to 220v (mystery transformer) for servo drive

Thread: Convert 120v to 220v (mystery transformer) for servo drive

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Convert 120v to 220v (mystery transformer) for servo drive

I have a pair of rys201s3-lss-z49 fuji servo drives controlling a set of gys201dc1-ca fuji servo motors. The required voltage is from 200-230v @3.4amps per drive (2 drives). This is for a 3d printer so I doubt it'll ever draw that much continuously though.

Obviously I need a step up transformer (or other solution?), and I believe I already have one. However I have no idea how to connect it up. Attached is a photo of it. It's from 1996 and I cannot find any info on it, and I am at a loss as to how to connect it. I believe it was used as a step down transformer in its previous life.

My question is will the transformer pictured work and how should I connect it? What other transformers/ other solutions would you recommend? Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Convert 120v to 220v (mystery transformer) for servo drive-resized_20210212_172033-jpg   Convert 120v to 220v (mystery transformer) for servo drive-resized_20210212_171937-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Convert 120v to 220v (mystery transformer) for servo drive

According to the second pic, you would need to connect it backwards, supply into the secondary, test the 100v terminals for continuity, and try connecting 120v into one of those windings.
    And get back.
    Al,

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

The problem with that transformer for your application is the VA size, you will only have about 2amps available.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok thanks. If its only going to supply 2 amps, then that transformers not going to work for me then, as each drive could draw 3.4 amps. I think I could work with a 4amp transformer but not a 2a one.

Do you have any suggestions for suppliers of cheapish transformers? I'd just run the machine off of 240, but that wouldn't work either as the drives max is 230v. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by super7800 View Post
    Ok thanks. If its only going to supply 2 amps, then that transformers not going to work for me then, as each drive could draw 3.4 amps. I think I could work with a 4amp transformer but not a 2a one.

Do you have any suggestions for suppliers of cheapish transformers? I'd just run the machine off of 240, but that wouldn't work either as the drives max is 230v. Thanks.
    You could use a Buck Booster Transformer to lower your 240v but most servo drives have a rating of 10-20% over voltage ( check the Manufacturers spec's in there manual ) so you may not need anything as long as you are at 240v and not over you could add a good quality power Filter before the drives this will help with any inrush to the drives

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Super7800: A (re) study of the unit reveals it is not a standard linear transformer but a 1ph/3ph (electronic) convertor system.
    So for one, you cannot run it 'backwards' so consequently, you can only obtain 90vac from it.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

try Digikey and look for autotransformers or Step Up, Step Down