Breakout board advice needed - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breakout board advice needed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Breakout board advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Warp9 is a company in Florida and they make their own boards. Not sure if they are manufactured in the US or PRC, but they get shipped from Florida which means I won’t have to wait 3 months for the stuff to get here.
    I meant sold by a company in Florida.

I ordered the Warp9 Ethernet Smooth Stepper, but still stuck on my BOB. I was told that I don't need a BOB and that the drivers can be wired directly to the ESS, but I'm not sure if it will control the spindle. I'd still like to hear of any recommendation to a BOB that can be purchased form either Canada or US regardless of where it was made.

The one that dies with the most tools, WINS !

Downloads
    Uploads

Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ZASto View Post
    I did read that and it still doesn’t specify if it will control the spindle without a BOB. My VFD requires a 0-10 volt signal and still not sure if the ESS will output this signal to it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    do yourself a favour, the parallel port is just too limited and implies limitations on the PC and OS and is pretty much restricted to Mach3.

Get Mach4, an ESS, a MB3 BoB (by CNCRoom) and be done with it.

Craig
    Done! Thanks again Joeavaerage for leading me down the right path. Been researching for the past few days and got exactly what you suggested. I was reluctant from ordering overseas, but I read lots of reviews and heard good things from CNCRoom.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    yes the MB3 by CNCRoom has a good following, it specific to the ESS with all three ports developed with a balance of inputs and outputs including
    differential outputs for step/direction signals. All in all its a nice well thought out board albeit on the expensive side.

I use two MB2's from Homann Designs in Australia. Peter Homann's boards predate CNCRoom and the part number clash is unfortunate, the MB2 and MB3 are
    totally different. The MB2 is a singgle port bi-directional board with TTL (5V) inpputs and outputs, with no relays no PWM to analogue circuit nor differential outputs
    or opto isolated inputs. The MB3 is fully developed with all three ports used and the MB2 is only one port and no frills....so they are about as different as can be.

Where the MB2 excells is flexibility, you can assign any input to any signal and any output to any signal. If you need either level translation to 24V say, or differential outputs
    or a PWM to analogue filter you have to add them. As electronics is my thing designing and making such simple extra circuits is no problem.

Note that the MB2 (approx $50AUD) is very similar to the C10, that is a single port bidirectional TTL board, and is only $23.00USD. Three C10's would cost $69.00
    whereas the MB3 is $180.00. If you are happy with adding a handful of electronic parts to engender certain behavior of a C10, then you can save some money.
    If you are not comfortable building extra circuitry, or just can't be bothered then the MB3 is a good choice.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

BTW:

Is it possible this boart to be powerd with 5V from Phnoe charger instead USB PC connection?Breakout board advice needed-images-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smart81bg View Post
    BTW:

Is it possible this boart to be powerd with 5V from Phnoe charger instead USB PC connection?Breakout board advice needed-images-jpg
    if you are talking about the ESS board, it's well explained in their FAQ
    https://warp9td.com/index.php/docume...sExternalPower

AXYZ Millennium router CNC: https://goo.gl/gxvdcA
    Glass cutting CNC table: https://goo.gl/VrDqGD

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't think of any reason why a board requiring a 5V supply couldn't be powered from a phone charger-or dedicated 5V power supply.The board only knows its receiving electricity and won't cease to function if the source isn't to it's taste.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    one of the advantages of ethernet is that each device (send/receive) are transformer isolated from each other. Why would you want to power the ESS from the PC
    with the potential for a ground loop?.

Warp9 recommend a galvanaically isolated, well regulated 5V supply for the ESS, don't try to cut corners........you are asking for problems after....having invested in some good hardware
    to avoid problems.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    anyway, if I'm not mistaken the MB3, which requires a 24V supply, has a built in 5V buck regulator to run the ESS, ie with the MB3 powered up
    so is the ESS, no extra 5V supply required.

Craig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12