Meanwell Power Supply

Thread: Meanwell Power Supply

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Meanwell Power Supply

Does anyone know if a din rail supply is suitable for a CNC machine? I'm using a Meanwell sdr-480-48-10A to power two nema 34 stepper motor 12.7mm shaft 86BYGH450B-06D-15J motors.

The previous power supply was a switching psu which was rate 480-48-10A. With the new power supply, the movement on the CNC has some extremely jerky movements, especially when moving at higher speeds. The PSU seems to get extremely hot as well. I am using Mach 3. I even lowered the FRO to 40%, but minor jerking is present.

Is the power supply the culprit? Should I be getting a switching power supply unit instead?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Meanwell Power Supply

I don't know if the power supply is causing the problem, but you would be better to use an unregulated power supply, something like this https://www.automationtechnologiesin...vac-or-230vac/

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Most power supplies have a 115 / 220 source voltage switch, did you verify it is set correctly?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by whodwho View Post
    Most power supplies have a 115 / 220 source voltage switch, did you verify it is set correctly?
    That particular power supply has a universal input, self sensing, 100 to 240VAC input.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dafitime View Post
    Does anyone know if a din rail supply is suitable for a CNC machine? I'm using a Meanwell sdr-480-48-10A to power two nema 34 stepper motor 12.7mm shaft 86BYGH450B-06D-15J motors.

The previous power supply was a switching psu which was rate 480-48-10A. With the new power supply, the movement on the CNC has some extremely jerky movements, especially when moving at higher speeds. The PSU seems to get extremely hot as well. I am using Mach 3. I even lowered the FRO to 40%, but minor jerking is present.

Is the power supply the culprit? Should I be getting a switching power supply unit instead?
    Hello.

Without knowing more of your machine and process I´d say your power supply should suffice. After all your motors are about 1/3 of the ones I use. Please keep reading.

Let me pass you one experience I had.

I´ve been retrofitting quilting machines for over 30 years now. I used to install CWDR06CA chinese step drivers but nowadays I install JMCs 2DM2280s. Both have the advantage of including their power supplies internally. The motors we use are NEMA-34 1600 oz-in.

Due to certain problems with our supplier in one project some years ago I had to use DM860 drivers instead. While I had used similar drives before I ended favoring the ones mentioned above as they simplify installation and wiring. A 48V/12A SMPS was installed and it worked fine for over a year, then died.

Due to certain operative hurries of my customer I built two linear power supplies each consisting of a 5 Amp 120 to 24 VAC transformer one using two 6A2 diodes and the other supply with 4 of the same type of diodes. In this latter case two in parallel for each branch of the rectifier. In every supply 4 15,000uF/50V electrolytic capacitors were used to effectively make one 15,000uF/100V filter. Getting better suited parts at the time was not possible and the time was short. Two 1.5Kohm/5W resistors were added to work as bleeders. The voltage we got from the linears was in the range of 62V when loaded.

That machine has been working since. Apparently good enough so that the owner has not allowed me to change the capacitors. Having 8 caps with their connections too close to one another is too risky. All I have been allowed to do was to drop some silicon glue over the conections.

That machine with the original SMPS can be seen in the following video.

The diagram is electrically correct except the output voltage is not and the bleeders are not shown either. The maximum output voltage is 2*SQR(2)*VIN-0.7 in an open circuit with no load at all, that is 67.1V.

I hope this helps you.

Regards.

PS: I suspect the SMPS failed due to certain requirements of the product they make. A zig-zag pattern requires one of the motors to suddenly change direction at full speed, the carriage, thus generating spikes that are fed back into the power supply. I must say that I´m surprised that the drivers themselves sustained those spikes without getting damaged.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meanwell Power Supply-voltage-doubler-jpg