Wiring a C11GS for 5 steppers and a spindle

Thread: Wiring a C11GS for 5 steppers and a spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wiring a C11GS for 5 steppers and a spindle

Hello all, I need a little help with setup and configuration of a C11GS BOB.

The attached diagram is the best (only?!) wiring diagram I've be able to find.
    There isn't too much info on the C11GS board?

Okay, so what I would like to do is wire this thing up for 5 steppers and 1 DC brushless spindle (500watt)

- X axis with a slave (A)
    - Y axis
    - Z axis
    - 4th axis
    - 500 watt DC Spindle (48V 14 amp)

I would like 4 limit switches (X, Y, Z, 4th) and 1 probe.

I guess whats confusing me, is the pin configuration on the board.
    To me, it looks like shared pins, and I'm not comprehending how to use/configure them?

My current wiring settings:
    Com = Gnd

X - Pins 2, 3
    Y - Pins 4, 5
    Z - Pins 6, 7
    A - Pins 8, 9
    4 - Pins 14, 16 <-- Are these okay to use? (Manual says these are for speed control/relay)

- I'm also not quite grasping the configuration on the "Operation Mode Jumper"
    - It's currently set for US Mode

Limits (5v) (Jumpered to pull down)
    X - 10
    Y - 11
    Z - 12
    4 - 13
    Probe - 15 (not wired in yet)
    - Would it be better/easier to have the limit switches chained together instead of wired individually?

I also need to get the brushless spindle wired in too. Having on/off and speed control is what I'm shooting for.

Looks like pins 14 and 16 are used for Variable speed control/relay
    and pins 1 and 17 are used for the relays
    - I'm completely lost on wiring the spindle (most due to the shared/configuration of the pins)

Thanks for looking, and helping if you can!
    Chris

Similar Threads:
    My Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/113711-my_build_-_many_thanks.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wiring a C11GS for 5 steppers and a spindle

Hi,
    you are really limited by the number of IO's.

A parallel port has outputs 1, 2-9,14,16 and 17 for a total of 12 outputs, and 10,11,12,13 as inputs.

You say you want one pin per axis as a limit switch. With five axes that requires five input pins. You also want a probe for another input. You will need
    an Estop as well. You have not allowed for home switches so I can only guess that you wish to have each limit switch do double duty, a dubious practice IMO.
    Even without separate home inputs you require 7 inputs, when you actually have four. You need a second breakout board, I'd suggest a C10, its birdirectional,
    and does not have relays etc but costs only $23.

Another alternative is to get an external motion controller like an Ethernet Smooth stepper which has three ports for a total of 51 IO's, a 57CNC which has 57 IO's
    or a UC300 which has 85 IO's.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks,

Okay, so I don't have enough inputs if I do them individually.
    So I can chain the X ,Y, Z, then separate one for the 4th, one for the probe and one for the EStop.
    I've never had separate home and limit switched, always been the same with no issues.

As for the steppers, I just don't know how to configure/setup for them.

Okay, for now, I'm just going to setup X, Y, Z for now. I wont bother with the 4th axis
    (I don't need an A axis yet, as I have yet to convert the machine)

So I'm pretty sure I can get them going, and I'll do a little more research on the spindle

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiring a C11GS for 5 steppers and a spindle-images-png  
    Last edited by Mogal; 05-11-2020 at 10:45 PM.
    My Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/113711-my_build_-_many_thanks.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

So I can chain the X ,Y, Z, then separate one for the 4th, one for the probe and one for the EStop.
    I've never had separate home and limit switched, always been the same with no issues.
    Yes you can chain them together and that results in any number of complaints/problems as evidenced by the forum traffic. Good luck.

Craig