Power supply for Clearpath SDSK

Thread: Power supply for Clearpath SDSK

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power supply for Clearpath SDSK

I’m running a Clearpath NEMA 23 SDSK on my Z axis. Teknic recommends up to 75 VDC, but their power supplies are $200+. I have a massive 90 VDC supply in my controller cabinet which is the max that the servo allows. The servo will shut down at 94 V.

Any recommendations for a less expensive PS? Or should I just try the 90 volts?

https://www.teknic.com/model-info/CPM-SDSK-2321S-RQN/

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power supply for Clearpath SDSK

Is the 90V power supply being used for something else? Is it possible to modify it to reduce the voltage (switch some windings on the transformer or remove a part of the secondary winding)?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, it also runs the original DC X/Y servos that are on the machine. I'm not really comfortable modifying it, it's 3ph 2000VA.

Safest route is obviously to just spend the $200, it would be better than smoking a $300 servo. But it looks like there are some Leadshine etc. supplies that might do the job for about half the price.

Downloads
    Uploads

$200 is not a lot of money in this business, but if you can buy a suitable power supply cheaper than that - why not? As long as it has the right voltage and current, it should work just fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a 18/24V 250VA transformer plus a rectifier and 22000mF capacitor in my pile, so I hooked those up for 36VDC. Ran the auto-tune on the servo and it worked like a charm. Won't get the ideal peak torque of the 75V supply but I may not need it. Fingers crossed the capacitor has enough capacity to absorb regen spikes, it sure looks big enough!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Won't get the ideal peak torque of the 75V supply but I may not need it.
    Not quite, torque is proportional to current, usually nnn Nm/A or similar. If your 36V supply has plenty of current you will achieve maximum torque.

What you wont get is maximum speed. Back EMF is proportional to speed, usually nnn V/rad/s. or nnn V/1000 rpm. When the back EMF is equal
    or nearly equal to the supply voltage that will be the maximum speed. Therefore if you reduce the supply voltage you also reduce the maximum speed.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kmagyoyo View Post
    I’m running a Clearpath NEMA 23 SDSK on my Z axis. Teknic recommends up to 75 VDC, but their power supplies are $200+. I have a massive 90 VDC supply in my controller cabinet which is the max that the servo allows. The servo will shut down at 94 V.

Any recommendations for a less expensive PS? Or should I just try the 90 volts?

https://www.teknic.com/model-info/CPM-SDSK-2321S-RQN/
    Hi kmagyoyo,

I'm an applications engineer at Teknic. I recently saw your post discussing power supply options with ClearPath motors, and wanted to provide some insight that might be helpful for your CNC machine build (as well as others looking to build a CNC machine) with Teknic’s products.

Teknic's NEMA 23 and 34 ClearPath motors are designed to operate on an input drive voltage of 24-75 VDC. On our website, you can see they are rated for up to 90 VDC, but we do not recommend that you operate at the high-end. If the voltage exceeds 90 VDC, there may be over-voltage exceptions (due to regenerative energy for example) - causing temporary safety shut downs to protect the ClearPath motor’s power stage.

While the IPC-5 offers a lot of benefits when paired with the ClearPath motors (including in-rush limiting, built in EMI filtering, regen management etc), you can use any 24-75Vdc power supply . I would recommend that you use a bulk linear supply (not a switching power supply) - this will ensure that the supply itself will be able to handle the regenerative energy that is generated from a BLDC servo motor. Ideally this power supply would not exceed 75Vdc as that leaves enough headroom for any type of voltage fluctuations.

Hopefully this helps. Please feel free to reach out to us with any additional questions you may have at support@teknic.com, or call us at 585-784-7454.

Best regards,

Nick S. - Teknic Servo Systems Engineer