Need Help! Trouble Wiring OMNI 1315 CNC Router

Thread: Trouble Wiring OMNI 1315 CNC Router

Default Trouble Wiring OMNI 1315 CNC Router

Hello,

I have recently received my OMNI 1315 CNC Router and I am unable to use it because I am uncertain as to how to wire it. My machine is single phase 220V. I am in North America where we use 2 110V lines to create 220V between them. OMNI is very difficult to communicate with and regarding this seemingly simple issue they can not offer anything of value. I'm very concerned because I don't want to risk damaging any electrical components. I have attached an image of my terminal bar. The 2 wires are labeled L1 and N. I understand that the L1 is for 1 110V hot line but I'm confused about the N. OMNI says it's a 'zero line' aka neutral. If it is a neutral then where does my second 110V hot line go if there is no L2? Others have told me that it doesn't need a neutral, just a ground, and that I'd put my second hot into the N terminal. Can anyone please offer some advice? OMNI seems very reluctant to help and I don't quite trust what they are telling me because they seem so unsure and inexperienced with this issue. I'd be glad to offer any more information if it helps resolve this issue. Thank you.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trouble Wiring OMNI 1315 CNC Router-20190819_205347-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Trouble Wiring OMNI 1315 CNC Router

The simple answer is yes -
    connect your L1 to the live terminal and L 2 to the neutral - your going to have 240V AC between the live & neutral terminals as expected
    the third connection being mains supply ground to the earth terminal tha's connected to the metalwork

the devil is going to be in the detail - If they did not supply a wiring diagram / schematic you may have to trace the machines mains wiring

If I was going to use the machine in NA
    I would make sure any mains switches are 2 pole switches breaking both L1 & L2 connections
    and add another fuse to the L2 supply to match any in the machines Live supply wiring (now your L1 supply)

240V AC machines sold in the UK very often only switch the live supply which is OK
    because Utility company connects the earth (ground) to the neutral -
    thats why its neutral and not another line as you have in North America

In the UK shorting the neutral to earth would just trip the RCCD (GFI )

A fault shorting your L2 supply to the earth ( ground ) results in a large fault current that needs the same fuse / circuit breaker protection as the L1 supply

John

PS
    double check the earth / ground wiring continuity

the Chinese can be very lax with the earthing of their machines

check the continuity between the machines metal work and the supply plugs earth pin
    also between the spindle motors body and the supply plugs earth pin
    (very often the 4th pin on the motors plug is not connected to the motors body )

Non standard colour coding of the wires can present an additional hazard
    I have seen a green / yellow wire used as a phase wire connecting a VFD to a 3 phase spindle motor !!!

Last edited by john-100; 08-29-2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: add PS

Default Re: Trouble Wiring OMNI 1315 CNC Router

Thank you so much for your knowledge and assistance. I wired the a hot leg to the L1 and the other hot leg to the N terminal and the machine turns on. Thanks again.