Newbie Building a new electronics box for my 6040, need advice

Thread: Building a new electronics box for my 6040, need advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Building a new electronics box for my 6040, need advice

Hi, I'm in the process of building a new electronics box to control a 6040 machine that I bought back in 2013. My plan is to replace the electronics then either buy a new machine or use this one to help build a new larger one. This also helps split the cost.

I'm replacing the steppers with closed loop motors from automation tech, which appear to be leadshine clones.

My current build is shown in the picture. The spindle VFD will be in a smaller separate nema box.The 12v PSU is for case fans and closed loop water cooling system for the spindle (which are what the currently shown relays are for). I left room and bolt holes for a 4th driver when I upgrade the machine.

-My first question is, is anything blatantly wrong?

-Second question is should I put a relay/contactor for the AC load and neutral lines going into the 48V PSU or use a relay/contactor on the DC side for the positive lines doing into the stepper drivers? I could either have a single cable coming out of the PSU into the relay and then into a terminal block to distribute them to the steppers, or I could use multiple relays or a contactor and have one cable for each driver.

The purpose of this is for the controller to be able to cut off power to the drivers when they aren't supposed to be moving. I just don't know if I want the 48V PSU cycling or if it should just be running continuously.

My schematics are attached, as well as the example of controller connections I'm mostly going for.

Building a new electronics box for my 6040, need advice-20190409_130150-jpgBuilding a new electronics box for my 6040, need advice-24v-jpgBuilding a new electronics box for my 6040, need advice-5v_12v-pngBuilding a new electronics box for my 6040, need advice-48v-pngBuilding a new electronics box for my 6040, need advice-controller-png

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Building a new electronics box for my 6040, need advice

You panel layout is a bit unconventional but reasonable. The only thing I really see wrong, and needs to be corrected, is the mounting of the drives. They should be vertical for proper air flow around them. The way you have them in there, the bottom one warms the next up and so on, not a good situation. You might take a look here for some general ideas. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/mecha...77816-cnc.html

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Jim, I fixed the drive orientation and connected all the internal components. I just need to make the external connections next.

Building a new electronics box for my 6040, need advice-20190415_151200-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Since this is kinda on subject.. I see that you used 24 volts for your probe. And I think this is my issue, but I tired to use a probe on my CNC last night and when I just short the wire I get a light, but when I connect the clip lead to the endmill.. it gives false positives and if I juts manually stick the gauge block to the endmill I get no light. I figure the voltage drop is such the board does not see a high. does this sound right? Don't want to spend hours going down a rabbit hole.

Thanks!!