Stepper motor wire selection

Thread: Stepper motor wire selection

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper motor wire selection

I'm converting another milling machine to CNC. In the past I've used wire like in the this picture.

Stepper motor wire selection-wire-jpg

It has a gray PVC sheath, and a low strand count (ie: fewer and heavier strands per conductor), making it not the greatest for flexibility. I think this is something like security system cable or some other application like that where flexibility isn't a priority but everybody sells it as "stepper" wire. I haven't had any real issues with it except that I personally think it looks, feels, and flexes like an ultra-cheap wire. Kind of like a cord on a cheap power tool in cold weather.

For this new build I would like to use something better. The motors are 6A, so I figure 18 AWG would be good. I'm thinking about using 18/4 SOOW wire but wondered what others may have used. SOOW cable has a rubber sheath and has good flexibility. It is generally what is used on high quality power tools.

So what kind of cabling other than the gray stuff is everyone using?

Also decent connector recommendations would be appreciated as well. I'll need bulkhead connectors for the control box I'm putting together, and matching cable connectors.

Thanks,

John Brannen

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I use SY or CY cable (I am in the UK and it may be called something else in your locality)

It is basically a shielded / braded cable SY has a closer brade than CY
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SY_control_cable

It will aide in stopping electronic noise. Only ground one side though!!!!!

As the motors will probably be grounded to the machine.

As for cable thickness I tend to use 1mm which is good for about 10amps and has a low resistance

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper motor wire selection

I won't touch 'rubber insulation' any more. It perishes and the whole cable is likely to go up in flames. I remember a 100' extension lead doing that once. In fact, I have just consigned a heavy duty 15 A extension lead some 60' long to the bin for that reason: all perished.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Rubber cables have another problem: they are pretty much impossible to solder (unless you have a freshly made reel of cable straight from the factory). The rubber insulation does something very nasty to copper wire in a very short time.

Downloads
    Uploads

How about this?

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ed/cf6-07-04-1

In case the link doesn't come through or dies later it is igus cf6-07-04. A bit costly but I won't need all that much.