CNC Retro Fit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC Retro Fit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Retro Fit

Hi All

New to this forum so please excuse me if this is the wrong place to post or the wrong thing to ask.

Purchased a Denford Lathe a couple of years ago and attempted to get the machine working with the original Fanuc Ot Control. After several months of fixing something then something else going wrong decided to scrap the control and replace with a CSMIO/IP-A controller and utilize the original motors and Servo Drives. Seemed to be a good move but still having problems with the original equipment. I then decided to completely overhaul the machine and replace the old DC motors and drives with new Modern Ac servo Motors and drives.

This is what I have now:
    CSMIO/IP-A controller using Mach 3
    Lexium drives LXMAU07MX3 X 2
    BCH2 750w Servo Motors.

I am now on my third drive which has just stopped working for no known reason. The first two drives have been replaced under warranty.

I don't believe this is a problem with the drives as its happened 3 times. I am sure this is a wiring fault my side but cannot see where.

Is there anyone that would be happy to spend the time to provide a schematic from start to finish using the above equipment so I can be sure the wiring is being done correctly.

I can provide all the relevant manuals for all the equipment and would be happy to pay an reasonable fee.

Thanks
    Mick

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Retro Fit

I can't believe that incorrect wiring would cause a drive to fail over time, it would either fail in minutes or not work at all. It could be that you undersized the servos and the drives are not intelligent enough to protect themselves. Is it possible that the input voltage to your system is way too high or spikey? Are you running off of a rotary phase converter?

Post some pictures of your control panel and I'll be happy to take a look to see if I can see anything obvious.

Like you, I ripped out everything that said Fanuc on it from my lathe with a O-T controller. Replaced it with my own control system and DMM 1.8KW servos for the axis drives. The only thing left that says Fanuc on it is the spindle motor, and am driving that with a VFD. But the first thing I did was to sit down with AutoCAD and draw a schematic for the system Has been running without problems for 6 months or so.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/hardi...-software.html

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim
    Thanks for your post. I will fire some more info over later when I return from work.

Thanks
    Mick

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim

Finished work early today and decided to do some testing on the cable which powers the building my lathe is in.
    I disconnected the earth cable from my fuse board and connected my amp meter in series. I'm getting a reading of 1.6amps. If I do the same thing with the meter set to AC volts I get a reading of 96v???

I am presuming this is not right and there should be very little current on the earth as well as 0v?

Thanks
    Mick

Downloads
    Uploads

1.6 amps leakage to ground is a lot, I would expect about 1/1000 of that. You have a serious problem somewhere in your machine or building ground, something is almost a dead short to ground. Start disconnecting machines, maybe just turning off breakers and see what changes.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim. Thought so. What I don't understand is why its not taking out the 100ma rcd on the supply.

Could this be the issue with the drives?

Thanks
    Mick

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure about either question. And not knowing what the building power system looks like I can only make wild guesses as to where the problem is coming from. The first question might be: Is the building ground intact?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Morning Jim

Please don't shout too load but I had connected my multi meter leads wrong. I had put the COM lead in the 20amp socket.
    I have very little earth leakage now. Lol

Going back to the thread and the questions you asked.

Servo motors being used are Schneider BCH2LF0733CA5C. These motors were slightly higher in the torque graphs than the Sem MT30 motors that came off. Parameter 1-78 within the drives allows you to set the user max current. I set this to 8amps well below the capability of the drive. This aside I have not run any kind of program to put the motors under load. The last drive stopped working whilst just being enabled, when I was making adjustments on the other axis.

I am not running a phase converter for the drives. I do have a phase converter for the spindle but I have disconnected this for the time being.

Our mains voltage is 252v. The spec in the manual states 230v +- 10% for the drives.(Right on limits) After the first drive going down I had a 4KVA step down transformer made to reduce the voltage on the lathe to 230v. I also fitted a over/under volt protection relay to deal with spikes. Here a link https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...93109&_sacat=0

I will try and draw a detailed wiring diagram of what I have and how its all been wired. If you wouldn't mind taking a look?

Thanks
    Mick

Downloads
    Uploads

We all make mistakes sometimes

OK, I'll be looking for it.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lathe Schematic

Hi Jim

I have drawn a schematic of what I have. I did try downloading some proper schematic software but to be honest it would have took me weeks to learn it so i'm afraid its done with google paint.

I will also attach screen shots from the manual for the CSMIO controller and the servo drive manual. Please let me have your thoughts and please ask for any more information you may need.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
    Mick

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lathe Schematic

Couple more screen shots.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim
    Think I may have to resend the Image is really small. Please let me know.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Not seeing any attachments

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not seeing any attachments at all

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

This is odd, I'm not seeing any attachments, nor are my posts showing up.

EDIT: my posts are showing up now, but still no attachments

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim
    Did you get chance to look at the schematic?

Cheers
    Mick

Downloads
    Uploads

This thread is acting weird, I am not getting the posted messages, nor the ones I have posted. The number of messages shown on the ''Todays Posts'' is 9, but I know there are at least 15 messages posted.

EDIT: The posting number of this message is 17, looks like 10 - 16 are missing completely. Very strange

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't see the new messages, something is weird with this thread.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim

Something strange going on here. Half your posts have dispersed?
    Can you see the attachments now?

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim
    This thread is not working. Any suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast