Power supply for DC brushed servos

Thread: Power supply for DC brushed servos

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power supply for DC brushed servos

Here is the build I'm working on

So, I thought I could use the existing DC power supply, but I have found that the output of the PS is 100 VDC, rather than the 20-80 VDC needed by the MachDrive BRB's that I bought. I had thought the motors were using 30V max, so I assumed the PS would be roughly the same.

Do I scrap the big heavy-duty power supply that came with the machine and replace it with the correct voltage for the drives? What do I use?

Or do I figure out how to reduce the output voltage of the existing PS?

If I do either of these, will the output voltage of the drives be too low to move the servos at their max speed? I can't return the drives at this point.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power supply for DC brushed servos

If the original power supply is dual voltage input maybe like 120/240V then you could set it for 240V but actually feed it with 120V, that way the output would be 50VDC. The only other option is to remove it and replace it with the proper voltage PS for your drives.

My motors are 140 VDC, the original PS was 100 VDC, and I am now running them at 75 VDC. I can easily get 300 IPM, but I have never tried to go faster.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The original power supply is a massive beast, the transformer appears to have 3 sets of windings. 3-phase in on the primary and 3 outputs on the secondary. All three outputs are 60VAC. Those feed a separate board that held the Axor MiniSpeed 140 drives. How it gets from 3 legs of 60VAC to 100VDC is a mystery to me, I only see two big rectifiers and two big electrolytic caps.

I must be missing something, because the servos appear to be 10V/1000 RPM. If they have a 3000 RPM max and volt/rpm is linear??, then they should only be using 30V.

These are the servos:

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like the feedback Tach is 10V/1000 rpm. I think the motor is 16.5V/1000 rpm.

I'd have to look at a diagram to understand your existing transformer system.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The generated BEMF is 16.5v/1krpm, the maximum rpm is 3k.
    Therefor the suitable P.S. would be 50vdc plus around 10%, minimum.
    If this is a 3ph transformer in, 3ph out, then you may have a 3phase bridge rectifier for the DC.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The generated BEMF is 16.5v/1krpm, the maximum rpm is 3k.
    Therefor the suitable P.S. would be 50vdc plus around 10%, minimum.
    If this is a 3ph transformer in, 3ph out, then you may have a 3phase bridge rectifier for the DC.
    Al.
    I do know I need to get an Italian involved as much as anything...LOL. But this tells me there should be 50-60VDC on the board there somewhere, because these servos and PS were matched from the factory. Maybe I can upload some photos of the board that would be enlightening.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    it may not matter that the power supply voltage is higher than is strictly required. It depends on your servo
    drives, if they can handle 100V input then you will be OK with the supply you have got.

When you set the max rpm is the servo drive you are in effect setting the maximum voltage to the servo motor.
    It would be nothing unusual that a servo drive reduces the input voltage to the volt age actually required by the
    servo.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Generally you should have a PS that supplies the motor rated voltage plus 10%.
    See PDF.
    Al.

Attached Files Attached Files

Albert E.

If its an old school transformer and bridge rectifier (with caps) type power supply you could just unwind the transformer. I did that on the my KMB1 when I was running GeckoDrives. With a switching power supply you might see if it has a trim pot, and see what you get when you crank it all the way down. Probably not low enough, but....

(I dumped the GeckoDrives and went to Dungong drives and have never been happier.)

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    If its an old school transformer and bridge rectifier (with caps) type power supply you could just unwind the transformer.
    Very true.
    This is why if building my own supplies I use the Toroidal transformer type, very easy to modify and also add a small overwind if a aux supply is required.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

It has crossed my mind that a servo drive is probably similar to an audio amplifier? (my rudimentary electronics experience is in the AV field) So the PS has a ground, and + and - rails.

Between the + and - I have a clean and steady 98 VDC (what I had been rounding to 100V). From ground I have something closer to +50V and -50V, although it doesn't look very flat on the o-scope.

Is this actually the correct voltage? Should I be concerned about the ~3V ripple?

Downloads
    Uploads

A 3 volt ripple sounds about right for a bruteforce PS. If you have +/- 50V to ground, do you have a center tap ground on the transformer?

The only +/- voltage used by the drive is the +/- 10V analog signal, and the onboard (maybe) +/- 15V supply.

The motor is driven by an H bridge circuit in the drive.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I’m going to ask Machdrive what they consider an acceptable ripple.

Unless someone has an idea to modify it, I’ll have to curb this PS. Each phase of the secondary windings reads 40vac to ground. If I were to start unwinding the xfmr how do I know when to stop?

A simpler solution may be just to buy a properly rated PS, any recommendations?

Last edited by kmagyoyo; 11-17-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kmagyoyo View Post
    It has crossed my mind that a servo drive is probably similar to an audio amplifier? (my rudimentary electronics experience is in the AV field) So the PS has a ground, and + and - rails.

Between the + and - I have a clean and steady 98 VDC (what I had been rounding to 100V). From ground I have something closer to +50V and -50V, although it doesn't look very flat on the o-scope.

Is this actually the correct voltage? Should I be concerned about the ~3V ripple?
    My take would be that 3v ripple on a 100v supply is trivial.
    The maximum ripple occurs at periods off high or full current.
    As per the PDF, you never use a servo supply where the voltage only meets the motor rating, it should be 10% higher, minimum.
    Al.

Albert E.