Need Help! Problem with power

Thread: Problem with power

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problem with power

Hi everyone

I urgently need some help

We bought a Johnford TC20 CNC Turning Centre(Lathe)

In the morning when cold the machine does not power on I have to play with the power on and power off button untill it begins to "WANT TO TURN ON" I tought it will be the Contactor but sadly this was not the solution please help me get this machine to power on as soon as I press the ON button.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem with power

We need a bit more information. What control? Does anything come on, or nothing at all? Based on the limited information, my best guess is a power supply problem.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    We need a bit more information. What control? Does anything come on, or nothing at all? Based on the limited information, my best guess is a power supply problem.
    It is Fanuc O-T Control sorry forgot to mention it, Nothing comes on just the green(ON) light flickers after a while as I play with the power buttons until it eventually will come on. I have also seen if you just press the ON button and check at the back where all the motherboards is there is a RED light on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try this, press the ON button and go get a cup of coffee, I'm curious to see what happens. The reason for this is to see if waiting for a time does anything. As I recall the computer powers on when the ON button is pressed, and I think the computer has to be running and happy before anything else will happen.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Try this, press the ON button and go get a cup of coffee, I'm curious to see what happens. The reason for this is to see if waiting for a time does anything. As I recall the computer powers on when the ON button is pressed, and I think the computer has to be running and happy before anything else will happen.
    I did try that but sadly no response I saw on the Power supply the alarm light switches on if I press the ON button, Today I took out the power supply to have it checked will get an answer tomorrow, will keep you up to date.

Thanks for the help!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Happy to help out if I can.

My Conquest 42 lathe had an O-T control and I'm trying to remember the startup sequence. As I recall the computer has to send an OK signal to a relay that powers up the contactor that controls some of the fans and the hydraulic pump. So there is a few second delay before that stuff comes on. So if that stuff is not energizing then I would be looking at the computer power supply.

I have pictures and some drawings of the relay board, if yours is the same as mine. But I don't think they ever made two that were the same If your power supply checks out OK, then we can try to get deep into the weeds. I do have all of the O-T parts on the shelf, including servos and drives, if you need anything. All was working when I upgraded it about 6 months ago.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Happy to help out if I can.

My Conquest 42 lathe had an O-T control and I'm trying to remember the startup sequence. As I recall the computer has to send an OK signal to a relay that powers up the contactor that controls some of the fans and the hydraulic pump. So there is a few second delay before that stuff comes on. So if that stuff is not energizing then I would be looking at the computer power supply.

I have pictures and some drawings of the relay board, if yours is the same as mine. But I don't think they ever made two that were the same If your power supply checks out OK, then we can try to get deep into the weeds. I do have all of the O-T parts on the shelf, including servos and drives, if you need anything. All was working when I upgraded it about 6 months ago.
    That is exactly what is going on at the moment sorry I just didn't know how to explain, English is not a easy language for me:-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Your English is very good, I did not know that English is not your normal language.

- - - Updated - - -

Your English is very good, I did not know that English is not your normal language.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

No I'm from South Africa Bloemfontein, my normal Language is Afrikaans close to Dutch actually.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you gotten your power supply back from the repair shop yet?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you gotten your power supply back from the repair shop yet?
    Hi Jim I'm getting it next week but the tech said it had a couple off loose connections and one off the caps was damaged.

I can't wait to get it back to test the machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim I got the power supply back they say everything checks out normal do you maybe know what I can check next machine still won't power ON when I press the button

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe check the 24V power, I think it comes on with the main switch.

Some pictures of your electrical cabinets would be helpful.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

If it finally powers up after pushing the button several times,, the first suspect is a bad power supply. Also PC power supplies sometimes have these bad behavior. Most of the times it's a bad capacitor. Special the bigger ones and the ones directly on the low voltage side. If any of these has the top side not be flat but somewhat exploded, it's suspected. Take care before opening a power supply, disconnect the power and wait ten minutes before opening

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Jim Dawson;2211254]Try this, press the ON button and go get a cup of coffee, I'm curious to see what happens. The reason for this is to see if waiting for a time does anything. As I recall the computer powers on when the ON button is pressed, and I think the computer has to be running and happy before anything else will happen.[/QUOTE
    Hello All, Actually I have the same problem with a Fanuc OM, I have to press the ON button once in the mornings and wait like 15-20 minutes, then press the power OFF and the power ON again and the Fanuc power on without issue, after that we can run the machine the complete shift. Do you think is a Fanuc power supply issue?