Downloads
    Uploads
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Software from Galil

I have had problems with Galil plugin MP3 ver 4.6. It will not allow me to config a second time, and the DROs do not seem to be related to the servo motor encoders, rather they seem only to change on motion commands from Mach3. For example, sending a MDI command of G31 X1 F30 will change the X-DRO to 1.000 even with power disconnected from the motor, and thus no encoder movement. Manually turning the motor and encoder produces no change in the DROs.

Ver 4.4 of the Galil MP3 plugin seems to work correctly.

I have a copy of ver 4.4 that I will share.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bbutcher85710 View Post
    I have had problems with Galil plugin MP3 ver 4.6. It will not allow me to config a second time, and the DROs do not seem to be related to the servo motor encoders, rather they seem only to change on motion commands from Mach3. For example, sending a MDI command of G31 X1 F30 will change the X-DRO to 1.000 even with power disconnected from the motor, and thus no encoder movement. Manually turning the motor and encoder produces no change in the DROs.

Ver 4.4 of the Galil MP3 plugin seems to work correctly.

I have a copy of ver 4.4 that I will share.
    Mach3 does not work well with Galil

What would you be using a G31 ( Probing or Skip Cutting depending on control ) Try a G1X1F30.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want semi-professional software to work with Galil, Camsoft is about the only off the shelf system, it comes close to the larger Industrial systems in the way of performance.
    Mach3/Galil is a attempt to come close, but not quite does it.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

That G31 was a stupid mistake on my part. Not sure where that came from, I finally realized my error.
    I have had good luck with ver 4.4 of the Galil plugin. Ver 4.6 has a bug, it does not read the DP counter in Galil, i.e. the encoders. Instead it calculates an encoder position from the counts sent to the motor as it would if a stepper was being used. Ver 4.6 also seems to not allow config to change settings a second time, only one time after creating a new profile.
    NewFangled Solutions has not been helpful in fixing these problems. I reported the encoder problem 4 years ago requesting a ver 4.4 plugin. Smurf said "Those are all long gone." As you probably are aware the M3P file self destructs and is replaced with a dll, so you must keep a copy of the original plugin in a separate folder or it will be long gone too. Fortunately another Mach3 user emailed me a copy of the ver 4.4 plugin so I can still struggle along.

I have been considering Mach4, but an now rethinking that decision due to the less than sterling support. The original Mach3 creators were a great service to our hobby, but since NewFangled Solutions bought them out, I am not so sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bbutcher85710 View Post
    That G31 was a stupid mistake on my part. Not sure where that came from, I finally realized my error.
    I have had good luck with ver 4.4 of the Galil plugin. Ver 4.6 has a bug, it does not read the DP counter in Galil, i.e. the encoders. Instead it calculates an encoder position from the counts sent to the motor as it would if a stepper was being used. Ver 4.6 also seems to not allow config to change settings a second time, only one time after creating a new profile.
    NewFangled Solutions has not been helpful in fixing these problems. I reported the encoder problem 4 years ago requesting a ver 4.4 plugin. Smurf said "Those are all long gone." As you probably are aware the M3P file self destructs and is replaced with a dll, so you must keep a copy of the original plugin in a separate folder or it will be long gone too. Fortunately another Mach3 user emailed me a copy of the ver 4.4 plugin so I can still struggle along.

I have been considering Mach4, but an now rethinking that decision due to the less than sterling support. The original Mach3 creators were a great service to our hobby, but since NewFangled Solutions bought them out, I am not so sure.
    Mach3 has never been very good control to work with Galil, for about 10 years now Mach3 has not been updated, that is why Mach4 was created it's a completely different package

Mach4 and Galil should work very well, one of there software engineer's used to work for Galil and was one of there main software development engineer's he did the plugin for Mach3 but could never get the two to work well together

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

It has always surprised me that Galil did not develop their own CNC package like Acroloop did, at least one manufacturer of a Plasma tables used Acroloop for their PC based system.
    I did use some early software Galil did develop for their legacy ISA 1000 series, that came close to it, but they did not pursue it, when the PCI card versions came out.
    Al.

Last edited by Al_The_Man; 09-11-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

About 15 years ago I worked for a company that had a Galil controller on a laser system. The developer had a second system that sent commands to the Galil SmartTerminal that was written in C++. I did not see the point since it was not a GUI or G-code, but a text based command system. Something like MR 10000 would be translated to PR 10000 and sent to SmartTerminal. Kind of a waste of time, and I think they were just trying to make it look impressive having their own programming language.
    I did some programming in the Galil code loaded into SmartTerminal, and it worked OK. What I really wanted was something that would take CAD drawings and convert them to Galil code. Galil does sell a dxf to dmc program, but I never actually bought it to try. Mach3 is great since most CAM programs will take CAD objects and create the G-Code for you.