Quick Q's About Enclosures & Connectors

Thread: Quick Q's About Enclosures & Connectors

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Quick Q's About Enclosures & Connectors

Pretty exciting that I'm finally getting around to my mill conversion. I've been trying to read up on all the conventions about control panels by the majors but can't seem to tackle these.

• Am I able to carry 'shielding' through connectors to terminate inside the control box, or do I need to use glands and terminate? I feel like this would be piggy backing the shield defeating the purpose. They will only be grounded on one end as per usual once inside the enclosure (plastic ABS)

If yes, what style of connectors are capable, or can I piggy back it through a pin - such as an AMP CPC?

• Is piggy-backing the shield to a ground terminal bar (from a sub bar to main) not effective (and does the unshielded wire pick up extra noise on the way)?

External VFD is planned, all control and low voltage power is shielded. AC mains will be either twisted pair or shielded. Taking on star point grounding, limiting noisy/quiet cable interaction etc. EMI filter if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Quick Q's About Enclosures & Connectors

It is often done with a AMP CPC connectors using a dedicated pin for the GND.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Imjay View Post
    Pretty exciting that I'm finally getting around to my mill conversion. I've been trying to read up on all the conventions about control panels by the majors but can't seem to tackle these.

• Am I able to carry 'shielding' through connectors to terminate inside the control box, or do I need to use glands and terminate? I feel like this would be piggy backing the shield defeating the purpose. They will only be grounded on one end as per usual once inside the enclosure (plastic ABS)

If yes, what style of connectors are capable, or can I piggy back it through a pin - such as an AMP CPC?

• Is piggy-backing the shield to a ground terminal bar (from a sub bar to main) not effective (and does the unshielded wire pick up extra noise on the way)?

External VFD is planned, all control and low voltage power is shielded. AC mains will be either twisted pair or shielded. Taking on star point grounding, limiting noisy/quiet cable interaction etc. EMI filter if needed.

Thanks in advance!
    Your Box being Plastic, there would be no point in a Gland for the Shields, but you could use a regular wire restraint, you will need a aluminum back plane that you mount everything on this Plate will be earth/Grounded, with your main power supply Ground to you cabinet,your shields will terminate directly to the metal Plate/Back Plane some snips on how you need to terminate the Shields

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick Q's About Enclosures & Connectors-grounding-shields-2-png   Quick Q's About Enclosures & Connectors-grounding-shields-3-png   Quick Q's About Enclosures & Connectors-grounding-shields-4-png   Quick Q's About Enclosures & Connectors-grounding-shields-5-png  

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your Box being Plastic, there would be no point in a Gland for the Shields, but you could use a regular wire restraint, you will need a aluminum back plane that you mount everything on this Plate will be earth/Grounded, with your main power supply Ground to you cabinet,your shields will terminate directly to the metal Plate/Back Plane some snips on how you need to terminate the Shields
    I meant glands as they would keep the shielding intact (rather than cutting and using a connector) and then being able to terminate in the ways you posted

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    It is often done with a AMP CPC connectors using a dedicated pin for the GND.
    Al.
    So having the ground through a pin, then connecting the pin back to the shield, and then terminating at the end isn't a bad option (as long it doesn't create a loop)?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Imjay View Post
    I meant glands as they would keep the shielding intact (rather than cutting and using a connector) and then being able to terminate in the ways you posted
    A simple cable strain relief grommet, is most likely a lot cheaper and will do the same job for what you want to do, snip attached

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick Q's About Enclosures & Connectors-strain-relief-grommet-png  
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just some final yes/no's before I don't do something ineffective against noise, would this layout render useless to shielding because of that piggy back wire to the GND point (as well as the soldered wires through the connector pin & terminal block)?

Or would a small gnd plane at each appliance (3 max) with full contact be better, then to full contact connect the sub-planes to a main star ground (while avoiding loops)?

As suggested using a dedicated pin to carry the shielding would work for almost any connector?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick Q's About Enclosures & Connectors-paste-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Imjay;1942548]Just some final yes/no's before I don't do something ineffective against noise, would this layout render useless to shielding because of that piggy back wire to the GND point (as well as the soldered wires through the connector pin & terminal block)?
    Or would a small gnd plane at each appliance (3 max) with full contact be better, then to full contact connect the sub-planes to a main star ground (while avoiding loops)?

As suggested using a dedicated pin to carry the shielding would work for almost[URL="https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-3Pin-Waterproof-Connector-IP68-Cable-Connector-Plug-and-socket-connectors-auto-electrical-connectors-SP1[/QUOTE]

Just ( 1 ) Sub Plate/Ground Plane, with the shields clamps mounted directly to the plate, this Plate then has you Mains Power supply Ground/Earth attached to it, this is then your Star Ground Point for any other Ground/Earth wires you may need to have

Mactec54